1971 Johnson 50Hp. linkage starting point for link and sync

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have searched the interwebs and not found what I am looking for on this motor. Anything i have found seem to be for a bit newer models that have marks on the cams for a start up of this process. I am not seeing any kind of alignment marks on this motor. What is a good point to start with this set screw to get this process started, and or how to go about it? Do I just need to put a timing light on it and set at idle to 3-4 degrees?

1633961730541.png

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
what you have circled is the idle speed screw, it adjusts spark timing, turn clockwise idle should increase. the cam with mark is on right side of pic, small white roller resting on cam( and correctly adjusted on cam mark) may need changing , very common for it to loose outer layer. also just under flywheel is screw with rubber cap on end, try not to adjust it , set at factory, high speed spark advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Maximum timing advance is set at the factory.----Set for the life of the motor.-----Believe it or not idle timing looks after itself.-----Idle timing( 3 / 4 degrees ) is the point where throttle plates open up.-----Be very careful if you decide to start adjusting things !-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?