1971 Glastron

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobrojockey

Recruit
Hi all!

God you guys get busy with this site! I am glad you all seem to be very kind and helpful to everyone who is a "New Boater". I know that you all get this every day but I just got a 1971 Glastron Starflight w/ trailer for $100. My wife and I wanted something we could do together and it seemed realistic at the time. We knew that the flooring needed replaced and I knew the stringers were more than likely shot (along with the transom) but I'm starting to wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew?? I want to take the top hull off and do the repairs right. But I am having conflicting issues as to how I should get this GIGANTIC Merc 1350 off and stored! I have an engine hoist and the room to set the hull next to the boat in the driveway for gelcoat and paint. But seriously, do you think I am in a mess with this thing? Here are some pictures for reference. Thanks guys/gals!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1971 Glastron

Welcome to iboats.

RESIZE YOUR PICTURES to 640 x 480 which is the forum size.

Looks like your restoration project is going to full blown and I would say the easiest way if going to be remove the entire cap.

i386

Captain

It's a lot of work. You just really have to decide if it's worth the trouble. Wanting a boat and wanting to fix one are two different things.

There might be a lifting ring on that engine. If not you can get an "eye" to screw onto the crank shaft to lift it. Would be nice yo have a stand to store it on while you work on the boat.

Does it run?

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi there dobrojockey Welcome aboard !!!

Well this is a loaded question you got there if its worth it ??The tri-hull is one of the most stable boats there is on calm water, on ruff water she will beat you to death !! I have one I just am finishing , she a 1976 15.6 footer glastron sportster , its a great boat for a family kids , tubing, fishing , skiing !!

Know if you do decide to restro her, its really not hard to do , it just takes time , I did mine in parts , last winter I did the stringer, transom and the deck , then this last winter I painted her , mine was the same color as yours , and just got done with the seats!!! she looks like a brand new boat !!

Ok well hope you decide to do her , were all here to help , Ohh I have about 1900 in mine for everthing !! hope that helps , about 800 just in the deck stringer, and the transom !! take a look at the last page in my theard , pic of work so far , and you can tell what mine looks like now !!

and again welcome aboard !! John

PS mine looked worse then yours when I started !!! lol

redfury

Commander

Looks like everyone is buying Glastrons and getting better deals than I did originally! Ha! Well, live and learn. If that motor is in decent enough shape, you are already money ahead.

Between Johns Glastron and mine, you should have plenty of pictures to look at to see if it's worth the trouble to you or not. Neither of us have perfect "shops" to work with, so it shows that anything can be accomplished..you just need persistence.

kevman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello,

I have a 74 Starflight that I picked up cheap. It runs well and from what I can tell, the floor is very solid. Seems to be no soft spots. There are some stress cracks that I want to attend to but I am hoping to clean it up and have a lot of fun with it. I know this is an old post but I thought I would talk to some fellow Glastron owners.

Kevin

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is considered hijacking a post....... please start your own post

Status
Not open for further replies.