1971 Bass Boat Restore...

Erik4e

Cadet
Hey everyone. I am fairly new to the site, and have found a lot of helpful information here by reading thru the many restore posts. I am starting on my first boat restore project and am looking for any and all suggestions. Please let me apologize in advance for sounding a little stupid or not using proper terms!

I was recently given an OLD bass boat. It is a 1971 Surfrider 15.5'. (I have looked up everything I could about a Surfrider, but haven?t found too much about them.) It has a good running 75hp Chrysler OB, and on a fairly good trailer. Well with all free things, there is a reason it was free. The deck is SHOT. And the elderly gentleman that had it, just wasn?t going to use it anymore..... And I like projects!

I have started the disassembly process. I have removed the old carpet, and most of the deck. The stringer is also shot and I am going to replace it as well. I have done a lot of research on these subjects and feel pretty comfortable about how I plan to rebuild the stringer and deck.

Here is one of my questions. The fiberglass on the transom is pulled away from the wood. ( some what bubbly) I did drill a 1/4" hole just to test it and the wood is definitely soaked. I want to replace the transom but am a little uncertain of how to do so. Can I remove the transom cap, cut and remove the old wood, and rebuild this way? Or am I better to cut out the fiberglass inside the boat and completely rebuild it?

I am sure to have many other questions, but any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transome/Boat rebuild help??

Re: Transome/Boat rebuild help??

I would suggest taking the cap off. This will give you a lot more working room to replace the transom, as well as the deck and stringers. It is not that big of a job, just a lot of screws and/or rivets to take out. Once the cap is off, you can do one of two things with the transom.
You can cut the inner skin off (fiberglass covering on INSIDE of the boat-not the outside) build a core out of plywood, glue it to the back side of the outer skin, and then fiberglass over it.
If the inner skin is in good shape, and you can get the transom wood out without cutting the fiberglass off, you could then pour a transom compound called sea-cast, or nida bond, or arjay (there are several) into the cavity where the old rotted wood was at. It is much more expensive but it will NEVER rot. Several people on here have took this option, while others suggest you go ahead and replace it with ply since the cap is off and you have the deck and stringers out too.

Hope this helps you.

Erik4e

Cadet
Re: Transome & Deck restore.. help?

Thank you for your response. Removing the cap was one of my questions. I wasn't sure if this was needed. I will now plan to do so. Thanks!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Not a problem! Feel free to ask anymore questions.
Also, in-line pics are much enjoyed around here so we dont have to click on the tumbnails and look at those tiny pics. Just get a photobucket account, upload your pics to their website, and use the full size link code for forums, under the 'share' tab.

Erik4e

Cadet

Ahhh! I see. I was wondering about that. Looks like I am learning even more than I thought! :) Thank you!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

If you hang around these forums long enough, which I hope you will, you will learn things you never thought possible.

Erik4e

Cadet

Thanks again. One more question I have... For now! What materials will be needed to complete the transome rebuild? I have already purchased 1.5 csm and the resin needed for the deck, but I have had some difficulties trying to find what mat I should use for the transom.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Well, there are several different ways to do the transom...
I have seen people use 1 layer of 1.5 oz CSM and a layerof 18 oz roving on top, which is what I plan on doing. I would reccomend getting more input though becasue the transom obviously needs to be very strong.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

WOW I just now realized you are in Lexington!! Howdy neighbor!!! Im in Wichester!!
Just thought I would share that with you!

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck on your resto! I've had a lot of good ideas and tips from the guys on here and I haven't even started my resto yet.

I'm also not too far from you. I'm up in Evansville, IN.

Erik4e

Cadet

Wow, Nice to see I have some neighbors on here! :) I am planning on getting out and getting some work done this weekend. I will post some pics soon.

Erik4e

Cadet
Re: Transome & Deck restore..

Re: Transome & Deck restore..

Well I got a little work done today. I was able to get the Engine, Controls, wiring, console, and a little more of the deck removed. Here are a few pics. I wish I had taken some before I started, but didn't.

DSC07629.jpg

DSC07630.jpg

DSC07631.jpg

DSC07632.jpg

Erik4e

Cadet
Re: 1971 Bass Boat Restore....Help?

Well I have been doing a lot of thinking on how I want to finish the boat.

Here is what I am thinking. I am going to put a casting deck both on the front and rear. In the front casting deck I plan to have only a small compartment that will hold the trolling motor battery. Then in the rear casting deck I plan to have two compartments, one on both sides of a casting chair. Both to be used for some storage, but also to store the fuel tank and battery.(tank on one side and battery on the other). In the last pic I posted you can see the 2 storage compartments. The longer/closer one is very solid. I was thinking of leaving it, but cutting the divider out as well as the end and converting it into a rod box. The rear compartment was converted into a live well and is rotted, so I will remove it.

What do you guys think?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice job posting the pictures. Would you mind resizing them to 640x480? You can do that right on photobucket with a single click and you won't even have to update anything here. Thanks.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Well looks like you are moving right along!!
You are very lucky that there is only 1 stringer down the middle to replace. Hopefully when I tear into my bassboat it will be the same. Mine is about the same as yours.
AS for the plans you have-they sound great. I like the idea of hiding the batteries and fuel tanks. That will open everything up nicely.
Keep up the good work!

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I love the bow ornament. I was thinking of using a lady bust; but shoes work too.:D

Good job. I like your ideas. the rod storage would be good. Also stowing the batteries and fuel.

Erik4e

Cadet

lol. I left the golf shoes there as a reminder. This way when things start getting too tough, I can say scew it and go golf! :)

Sorry on the pics size, still learning that. I will go work on them now.

Erik4e

Cadet

Well I got a little more done today. I planned to "finish up" on dissasembly, but my grinder had other ideas and quit working.:mad: Anyway her are a few pics of what I did do. I got the transom removed and all of the deck. I still have to remove the 2 storage boxes, and clean up the sides... Well clean up everything, for that matter! :)
I am still looking for suggestions on what materials to use once I put the transom back in!

DSC07665.jpg

DSC07666.jpg

DSC07664.jpg

Erik4e

Cadet
Re: 1971 Bass Boat Restore...

Also guys I was curious about something. In the bilge area there were some small drain plugs, that seemed to just drain any water out from onder the deck and where the stringer is. Is this normal? Do I need to put them back? It seems to me that you wouldnt want ANY water there to begin with. Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Bass Boat Restore...

If you have multiple ones, some of them were probably for live-well plumbing or something like that. You should put 1 back in. If any water gets under your deck, you want to be able to drain it out.