1971 85 HP Evinrude Electric shift ?? on water impeller and lower unit

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a thread going in the restore section but I thought I'd better throw this in the Evinrude section to see if I could find some knowledge from members here.

1971 85 hp Evinrude. Is not pumping water from the seller's report on eBay. My first need is to remove the lower unit and inspect the pump housing, impeller (replace it) and make sure the PO who installed the lower unit (not original) installed it correctly. Which brings up my question: I've replaced impellers on newer OB's but have never been around an electric shift style, what should I expect when pulling it? Any special requirements to drop the unit? I'm planning on purchasing a service manual, which brand is the best to purchase?

Is there wires going down to the lower unit?

Also, I couldn't find a complete 71 pump kit, only an impeller replacement, do they make a full kit for that year any more?

Thanks for any input you can provide. I'd like to get the lower unit done in the next couple of weeks so I can test the pump and then do a float test of the whole boat to make sure it shifts correctly and runs under load.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1971 85 HP Evinrude Electric shift ?? on water impeller and lower unit

No special requirements on the water pump on an electric shift. I haven't found a complete kit for my 69 for many years.On the starboard side near the rear are two knife connectors hiding inside what looks like shrink wrap. Slide it off and you uncover the knife connectors. Two wires go down into the lower unit. What I do is tie a string to the two wires BEFORE dropping the lower unit, it's the only way to get 'em back when you put it back together. Also, these electric l/u's take type c gearlube not the normal stuff.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a side note, since the shift switch is no longer available as new for less than about $300, I keep an eye on ebay for NOS and used bargains.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rockyrude,

Thanks for the info.
Should I slide the wrap up or down? (I'm at work right now or I'd go out and see what you're talking about). I also was planning on printing this topic off so I could have it with me at home to follow the instructions you've provided.

Is type C gearlube available at auto stores or will I need to special order it?

I'm sure I'll more questions and will provide photos as I take it apart. My goal is to get it running correctly, test the motor on the water and then I'm considering moth-balling it and using my 90 hp off my pontoon for the summer so I can keep the original motor in working condition if I ever decide to just have the boat for show and mount the original back on it for that reason. I know parts are hard to come by for it so if it's running at 100% I don't need to be chancing the use of it all summer and breaking something on it.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you get to it, you'll see the wires coming out of the lower unit just below the wire going to the choke. The "shrink wrap" is about 2" long just below the starboard head. I don't remember if I got my last type c from the auto parts or here at iboats. The most aggravating part for me is that there are two water tubes on these pumps, and lining both of them up when putting it back together can get to be a challenge. The idea of using your 'toon motor is O.K. if you are willing to move the whole control system with it.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am willing to do that. I'd rather do that then take a chance on something that's not replacable to happen to the 85. Just would like to keep it so the original engine is in running condition. I'll fog the krap out of it before I moth-ball it and wrap it up in shrink wrap.
Shouldn't be too much of an issue to pull my 90 off the pontoon with controls. The biggest thing is to find out the distance between the OB and the steering, I might have to order a new cable system and if I do, I might look into going with hydraulic instead.

Thanks for your help, I'll look at it this weekend and working at getting the correct gear lube, then start on it the following weekend since I'm still recovering from a rib injury a week ago. No lifting projects this weekend.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Rockyrude has about covered it all. I would only add the following.

The insulated covering over the knife connectors (if they still exist)... slide them up towards the powerhead to keep them, out of the way.

The gearlube was also called "Premium Blend" along with the "Type C" label. Usually found at any Evinrude/Johnson dealership.

My memory may be slipping somewhat but it also seems that I've seen the electric shift outboard lube on the Wal*Mart shelves in the automotive section. I know they have the HiVis standard shift lube BUT that "Electric Shift" mention seems to stand out for me.

The dual water pump tube thing.....

There are two (2) nylon tube guides that slip into the water pump flanges which guide the tubes into place. Without them, getting those tubes lined up is a real headache. Usually those two guides work themselves up the copper tubes somewhat due to vibration, and over a period of time sieze themselves to the tube slightly.

Carefully look up the exhaust housing at the tubes to see if those nylon guides are there (somewhat hard to see so look carefully), and if so pull them down and off with a old screwdriver that has a bent blade end, a hook of sorts. One nylon guide is shorter than the other which allows you to line up one tube at a time.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe,

Your directions/steps make complete sense. Thanks for the added information. I'll definitely look up the mid-section to see if I can't see those guides and re-install them in the water pump flanges. While I have the lower unit out, I think I'll go ahead and prep it for paint. Is that puke-tan :redface: is available or would I have to paint the whole engine housing?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Joe said what I was going to say about the nylon guide tubes.

Also, I haven't checked lately, but I think the complete water pump kit is still available. However, it is different than the original, which had an aluminum housing. The new kit will have a plastic housing with stainless steel liner. Way tons better pump. I suppose I could look the part number up for you, but an Evinrude dealer can do that too.

If all else fails, I believe iboats has type C

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Is that puke-tan available or would I have to paint the whole engine housing?

You lost me there. I don't know what a puke tan is BUT I assume you're referring to a paint color? If so, best to check with a dealership or the marine type stores. Might also be simply a spray paint color at Wal*Mart etc.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe,

it's a greenish/gold/tan color that evinrudes use to be painted. You can see a little bit of it on the photo with my signature. Don't know what color they call it but my opinion it's nasty looking.
So spray paint is going to stick and not flake off down the road? I was thinking more in line with an expoxy type of paint that has hardner in it.

F_R: I looked under iboats and several other places but the oldest kits I've found is to 73. If you get some time and can find me that kit and contact source, I'd really appreciate it.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The correct name for the paint based on your picture is johnson 389 gold. Yea I know it's more green, I couldn't find it anywhere premixed, had to custom mix it at my supplier.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd really like to paint it white it would match the boat better but it wouldn't be the correct color so I guess I'll be going to a paint store to have it mixed. Wonder if they can find the color codes for Johnson 389 Gold??? LOL or will I have to drive my trailer w/boat down to them?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not big on Martin-Seymore paints but that is what NAPA carries, they were able to look it up in their books. On a side note, you might as well knuckle under and replace all of the fuel lines while you are in it. Look around the threads here, there was a modification made on these motors to bypass a thermostat that never worked correctly and caused the motor to constantly run in a rich condition. It's a simple fix, I just can't remember it right now.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I did quite a bit of research on Type C and compatible fluids some time ago. I was able to find a number of places to buy, including BRP/Evinrude, NAPA and Sierra, which is typically sold at online sites such as iboats. In the end, I found iboats to be a good resource, because it sells the Sierra brand quantities from one quart to five gallons. Most of us wouldn't buy five gallons of the stuff, but is not always available at other retailers in quantities as low as a single quart. At NAPA, for example, you can buy Sierra Type C in quart cans at a lower per unit cost than iboats, but you have to buy a case (12 quarts) - they don't sell it in the single quart quantity.

If you need Type C quickly, another choice is Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. I confirmed the suitablilty of this product for hydro-electric shift units with both BRP and Shell/Pennzoil. You don't get exact answers. of course, but I was satisfied that it is a suitable product and have run it in a HE shift engine of my own, for some time now.

One other tip - many BRP/Evinrude dealers are not stocking Type C GL (Premium Bkend), because there just isn't much demand for it, these days. This has caused rumours that BRP isn't stocking it at all. This is not the case and you can order it through your local dealer, should they not stock it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I'd really like to paint it white

Any marine dealership would have a "White Anti Fouling Paint" and also the regular Evinrude/Johnson "White Spray Paint". I forget if the anti fouling white comes in a spray can also but I think it does.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

F_R: I looked under iboats and several other places but the oldest kits I've found is to 73. If you get some time and can find me that kit and contact source, I'd really appreciate it.

The number I come up with is 384465, fits 1969-72. Any Evinrude dealer. OR---I PM'd you another source, don't want to post it here because they are an iboats competitor. Sorry, iboats doesn't have it.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any marine dealership would have a "White Anti Fouling Paint" and also the regular Evinrude/Johnson "White Spray Paint". I forget if the anti fouling white comes in a spray can also but I think it does.

Yeah Joe but since it was that gold color from the start I'm going to put it back to that color again. At some point someone replaced the lower unit (it's black) so I'll probably get some Anti Fouling Paint/primer to coat the bare spots first and then spray the whole mid and lower sections with the gold. (I've got a HVLP spray gun) I'm not much into rattle can spray jobs...I'd rather have some nice coats of paint on it from a sprayer, it seems to me that the quality of the finish surface is 10x better if sprayed.

Was the prop back in the early 70's usually white or black? I'm figuring it was white originally but I could be wrong because I don't know that much about these older OBs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

so I'll probably get some Anti Fouling Paint/primer to coat the bare spots first and then spray the whole mid and lower sections with the gold.

?? why would you paint over antifouling? Are we perhaps confusing our terminology here and actually mean self etching primer? Cuz that would be the appropriate product.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

One last question today and I'll leave you guys alone :D

What is the weight difference between these two? I figure TnT adds an additional 30 or so lbs to an OB. Other than that, how much is really difference between these?

1989- 90hp Johnson with TnT
1971- 85hp Evinrude w/o TnT