1971 7.5hp Eska/Sears outboard with wrong lower unit installed

Outboard Mike

Seaman
I have a 1971 Eska/Sears model 217-58820 that I am trying to restore. It was a trade in I got while working on a friends motor. It seems that the wrong sized lower unit driveshaft was installed. I removed the lower unit after there was no movement when the shift lever was engaged and the flywheel/motor was turned. After removal I found the lower unit was working properly when turning the shaft or the prop. I inserted another lower unit with a 22" shaft and found that the flywheel and lower unit engaged but the shaft was too long. The driveshaft on the lower unit I took off is approximately 19 5/8 in. It looks like a lower unit from a different model was put on the motor. I then pulled the engine block off and inserted the original lower unit into the clutch assembly and pushed it all the way in and the driveshaft engaged and turned like it should. Looks like a shaft that was 20" would be what I need. Was there a difference in shaft length for different years or models??? Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be appreciated. I can modify if I have to.

Attachments

• 0225211158.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 0225211159.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The lower ends on those motors are made by Clinton. Im almost sure the 7 thru 15 are all the same. Let me do some research

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And its definitely the wrong color for a Sears. The gamefisher was green not blue.

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sure looks like a gamefisher lower end. I just dont remember a gas petcock in that spot if at all. Thats whats throwing me a cure ball. I think something isnt engaging in the foot

Outboard Mike

Seaman
Sure looks like a gamefisher lower end. I just dont remember a gas petcock in that spot if at all. Thats whats throwing me a cure ball. I think something isnt engaging in the foot
The foot is engaging as expected. If I turn the driveshaft it turns the prop and if I turn the prop it turns the shaft. I have put resistance on both by locking some vise grips on shaft and turning back and forth.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
but when installed it does nothing. I would hunt a dive shaft but if the one you get is the same length than you have another issue and an extra drive shaft. I still think when installed the shift linkage isnt engaging in the foot.

Outboard Mike

Seaman
but when installed it does nothing. I would hunt a dive shaft but if the one you get is the same length than you have another issue and an extra drive shaft. I still think when installed the shift linkage isnt engaging in the foot.
Well I solved the problem. I had another lower unit stashed behind my restored outboards that I had forgotten about off of a 217.58531 Ted Williams. i installed it and found that the drive shaft was binding when I went to tighten up the bolts. The flywheel would not turn unless I loosened the 2 bolts holding up the lower unit. After removal and inspection I found that there is quite a variation in the way different manufacturers of the drive shafts machined the splines. (Clinton , Eska,etc) In the attached pictures you can see the spline length variations go from 3/4, to 1, to 1 3/16". In order to make the unit work I took a dremel and grinding wheel to lengthen the spline indentation on the shaft from 3/4" to 1 1/4". I then installed the modified lower unit and tightened the bolts and she is working the way she should. Any idea how to install the v spring on the shifter would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 71 Ted Williams back together again.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
  • Shaft spline lengths of lower units.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Shaft lengths of Eska LU.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 2