1971 50 hp Mercury 500 reeds

Wolfie819

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2015
Messages
12
After trying everything else I took the motor apart to look at the reed's I found that a couple of them were slightly lifted like what the see in the attached PIC is this enough to stop the engine from running??? And if so does anyone know where I can get a new set of reeds
 

Attachments

  • photo223641.jpg
    photo223641.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
14,605
I can't say for certain, but it looks like the reeds are okay. I think what you see raised up is the reed stops. However, others can verify if I'm correct or not...
 

Wolfie819

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2015
Messages
12
OK from what I see about a third of my reeds have the tips raised about 10_20 thou above the surface so I should replace them so the question is where can I get them I live in Ontario Canada near sudbury no one up here stocks old merc parts
And thanks for the diagrams that really helps
 
Last edited:

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,970
Those reeds were used on newer motors as well.-------But you are right when you mention 1971 the parts counter says ----" too old , no parts available "---Those reeds were used for many years up to the 1990''s motors.-----Order part # 34-88498A1
 
Last edited:

Wolfie819

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2015
Messages
12
Thanks for the info I have been able to locate a new set using that part number
 

Wolfie819

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2015
Messages
12
OK turned out that the reeds have been the problem all along the motor now runs however I need all the baseline specs for setting carbs and timing and whatever else as I have no idea what other people have done to try and get this motor running could anyone direct me to a website that has all this info
 
Top