1970 Starcraft rebuild

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1970 Starcraft rebuild

I really like that layout, that side console is kinda unique and looks like an old school fishing rig:)

I noticed that you have 3 knee braces on the transom, that could mean that it's the Nassau model. Bob_VT had a Nassau with the same three braces. There are a couple others around, not sure if they also had the rounded splashwell though.

Really nice work on the bow storage too, looks rock solid.

pike bay

Cadet

The whole deck and front storage is very solid which is what we were going for. Decided to go with the 3/4" plywood instead of the 1/2" which would have been original for this boat. Only issue that came with this choice is the gas tank doesn't fit under the splash well by 1/8". We fixed that yesterday and trimmed down the handle on the tank and now it fits nice and snug under there.

The 2 biggest jobs left for this boat is the wiring to the motor and painting the outside of the boat and the trailer. Should have a month or 2 before we look at painting. The big decision is picking the color. I just want to go back to the oroginal all white but my father in law wants me to go with some type of red or green from the top to the rub rail area. No decisions are final on this and will have some time to think about it.

The side console was my father in laws doing. He did most of the wood work on this rig since he is a carpenter by trade. He had a couple weeks between jobs and he worked on the boat while I worked and paid for the supplies. we toyed with making this into rear tiller but decided to keep it a side console. It took some inginuity with the cable steering and building of the front deck. We joked around about putting the steering wheel horizontal instead of vertical. Definitely didn't go with that and what we came up with works pretty good and doesn't look to bad in my opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You have done a FANTASTIC job on the closed - open bow conversion. I'm really really impressed. I was already pretty pleased with your cutout job and then when you added the aluminum angle it really made it look almost factory. Very very nice work.

If I must nit-pick........I think you needed to have constructed some kind of a bump out on that console for your steering wheel. I would imagine that as it is now, your legs will be crammed up into the console when you're driving it.

pike bay

Cadet

On Saturday we installed the driver seat and it actually worked pretty well. Took a few measurements to find the right spot but it all came together. working through Thursday then I will get back at it I hope. Might try selling the inner rub rail on CL since it was replaced with the aluminum angle.

Been looking at other boats and still don't know if this is a nassau or jupiter. Still unable to find a pic of a boat like this with the rounded splashwell. Guess I'll keep researching.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Were not just west siders, were neighbors. I live in Allendale as well.

Yeah, small world. We are close to the new schools. I hope to float my hull over at Placid Waters this weekend if they give me permission. My in-laws are neighbors over there.

pike bay

Cadet

boat pics and parts 004.jpgboat pics and parts 008.jpgboat pics and parts 006.jpgboat pics and parts 009.jpgboat pics and parts 007.jpg

Finally having some nice weather up here in Michigan. Sunny and the temp is climbing. Did a little work on the boat yesterday and today. Sanded the port side of the boat as well as the rear and put a coat of primer on it. Working on the starboard side since it has more pitting and scratches that require more time. About 1/2 done with that side. Did put 1 coat on the rear of the boat to see if I liked the cream color or not. Still undecided. Atleast we sanded and covered up the blue paint that was put on there by the previous owner.

Also cleaned up the motor cover on the 40 hp johnson and sanded down some scratches in the white paint area and primed that as well.

Still putting off the electrical since it is my least favorite thing to mess with on the boat. Grabbed some of the extra parts and pieces from this project and brought them home for some pics. Plan on putting some items on CL at some point.

pike bay

Cadet

Just seen this same style boat for sale on the GR craigs list for $1495. Noticed right away that it has the same curved splashwell as mine. This is the 1st one I have seen that matches mine after looking at hundreds of them online. Sent the guy an e-mail to see if He knew exactly what type of starcraft it was. It's along shot but I hope he answers back.