1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Thanks for all the comments guys. If you looking at paint I strongly recommend PPG. It may be hard to get your hands on but this stuff is the bee's knees. It's tough as nails and it lays down sooo smooth. I asked the guy for Lund red so he did a search and turns out that between 1993 and 1997 there were 16 different shades.
 

feverios

Cadet
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
9
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Wow man, great paint job! Keep it up with the pictures!
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Sorry about being so inactive on here guys. I've been swamped with school and football....but were 2-0 so it's okay. :) Here are some pics of recent work. The floor is just a rough fit, I still have to put foam in and carpet. The electrical is still in progress but I figured that I'd just as well get ahead.

0905101619b.jpg

0906101217a.jpg
 
Last edited:

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

tJust a quick update. I've been swamped with school and football so the boat has been sitting dormant for a while. In the time I did have I started to build gas tank and battery boxes for it and such...by the way football is going great, we're 6-0 and rated 9th in the state of Iowa! :D
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Got the inside painted gray and got the carpet in. All thats left is the seats! :D

1016102337a.jpg
 

Huron Angler

Admiral
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
6,025
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Looking great, nice work! Did you lay down a riveted aluminum deck?

What size fuel tank did you end up going with? Good luck in the football season as well:D
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Looking great, nice work! Did you lay down a riveted aluminum deck?

What size fuel tank did you end up going with? Good luck in the football season as well:D
Thanks Huron. Yeah we used aluminum monobolts/rivets. The fuel tank is a 6 gallon. I have another tank and I'm thinking about riggin em both up. btw were 7-1. :D
 

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
42
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Congrats. Son.....Really LOVE the boat!!!! But more than that, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE, PERSERVERANCE, DEDICATION, AND ABILITY to investigate, accept suggestions, and have your priorities in order!!!! You are a great example of something we see so rarily these days in people your age!!!!
I understand your thinking Re: the speed you are looking to run the boat at....
I STRONGLY suggest you do a search on Google "Planing Hull-Displacement Hull"and read several of the very good articles on the dynamics of both and the performance and speed condsiderations and hull requirements.......It says a lot more there than I could type in a day!!!!!
Just understand that as a planning type hull your boat will throw the LARGEST wake just before it begins to plane!!! Since the "wake" seems to be your biggest issue, I would recommend you keep the forward located stick steering as weight in the stern will also be a wake increasing factor.....With you, the motor, gas tank, and battery all at the stern, I believe the boat will always be trying to "climb out of the hole", which is a wake producer .....Just what you are trying to avoid......
I am in no way trying to discourage you, just hoping to help make your project come out as close to your expectations as possible......(Perfect????....Never...BUT!!!....Thats why we build another one!!!!!
Again.....FANTASTIC JOB!!!! Best of luck.....But most of all....ENJOY!!!!!!
 

Triton II

Commander
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
2,479
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Hey WCI, I just found this resto thread and I've got to chime in a congratulate you on the super sharp paint job (and the excellent footy results!). I may have missed it, but what sort of floatation did you wind up using?

TII
 

tallcanadian

Captain
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
3,250
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Nice work on your boat. It's looking real sharp. Nice job on the paint as well.
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Congrats. Son.....Really LOVE the boat!!!! But more than that, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE, PERSERVERANCE, DEDICATION, AND ABILITY to investigate, accept suggestions, and have your priorities in order!!!! You are a great example of something we see so rarily these days in people your age!!!!
I understand your thinking Re: the speed you are looking to run the boat at....
I STRONGLY suggest you do a search on Google "Planing Hull-Displacement Hull"and read several of the very good articles on the dynamics of both and the performance and speed condsiderations and hull requirements.......It says a lot more there than I could type in a day!!!!!
Just understand that as a planning type hull your boat will throw the LARGEST wake just before it begins to plane!!! Since the "wake" seems to be your biggest issue, I would recommend you keep the forward located stick steering as weight in the stern will also be a wake increasing factor.....With you, the motor, gas tank, and battery all at the stern, I believe the boat will always be trying to "climb out of the hole", which is a wake producer .....Just what you are trying to avoid......
I am in no way trying to discourage you, just hoping to help make your project come out as close to your expectations as possible......(Perfect????....Never...BUT!!!....Thats why we build another one!!!!!
Again.....FANTASTIC JOB!!!! Best of luck.....But most of all....ENJOY!!!!!!
Thanks alot man. I will keep all of that stuff in mind. I plan to relocate the fuel tanks to the front of the boat to solve that issue and usually I have a second person with me that sits in the front. Thanks again.:)
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Hey WCI, I just found this resto thread and I've got to chime in a congratulate you on the super sharp paint job (and the excellent footy results!). I may have missed it, but what sort of floatation did you wind up using?

TII

Thanks much dude. You didn't miss anything (whoops):eek:. I forgot to mention it but I used pink insulation foam anywhere from .5-2 inches thick. I layed it all out like it was before but jam packed it for better flotation.
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Okay folks, I've got spring fever and it's not even spring yet.:D I'm thinking about a deck up in the bow with a seat post on it and some storage. Give me some ideas as I'm wide open to suggestions.
 

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
117
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Thanks much dude. You didn't miss anything (whoops):eek:. I forgot to mention it but I used pink insulation foam anywhere from .5-2 inches thick. I layed it all out like it was before but jam packed it for better flotation.

We won't tell any one about the "pink flotation.;) Just ran across your restoration project, Looking good!! The red looks really sharp. What type of carpet did you use?
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Thanks a lot LastDollar. I used marine grade carpet from Lowes. It was only about 50 bucks for the whole boat. I used some 3-M adhesive, the kind that comes in a pressureized tank and you just spay it on. It worked nicely. Thanks again
 

WebsterCityIowan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
65
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Got around to building a casting deck this weekend. We used 2x4's and 3/4 Plywood. Here's the final product. Until Next Time..
0326111454a.jpg
 

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
244
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Thats one sweet fishing boat..
 

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
13,269
Re: 1970 Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Still so impressed by your paint job from last summer, super sharp!
 
Top