1970 starcraft jupiter closed bow to open bow modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy in NY

Commander
Heres my origional resto thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=388804
DSC00005.jpg

IMG00320.jpg

after 2 summers of use, we are finding it cumbersome climbing over the bow all the time. we primarly go to a sand bar... usually every time we go out. so my brother in law and i decided to undertake the project of opening the bow. i'll be taking alot of examples from member west coast willy who did the same thing here

today i got it over to my brother in laws and started the process. got the motor off, mostly for space issues.

2010-10-03_16-38-08_284.jpg

2010-10-03_16-45-10_329.jpg

next weekend we will start stripping all the hardware and windshield off the front.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 1970 starcraft jupiter closed bow to open bow modification

Good luck on the project.
Looking forward to seeing the progress.
I dont know if I would be brave enough....

fshngho

Lieutenant

Wow Andy, not sure how I feel, not that it matters:eek: I understand the why but I seem to remember all the work on the dash and the bow that you did.:rolleyes: I'm looking forward to see how you go about the modification and with out a doubt you'll do a great job. Lots of guys have thought about it so you will have a lot of attention. Good Luck

Huron Angler

Admiral

Since I have a 16' open bow let me know if you need any photos of how they made them in the factory.

Are you looking to build a U shaped bench up front like the SS?

Looking forward to seeing how she turns out, I'm sure you will like the convenience when beaching and anchoring. Good luck with it!

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey andy,

weren't you selling this on craigslist recently ? Just curious .. thanks ..

nice boat ..

DIBS on your windshield if your getting rid of the whole thing .. might need one for my 68 jet star.

Andy in NY

Commander

Since I have a 16' open bow let me know if you need any photos of how they made them in the factory.

Are you looking to build a U shaped bench up front like the SS?

Looking forward to seeing how she turns out, I'm sure you will like the convenience when beaching and anchoring. Good luck with it!

ya im going to build some sort of bench, but it wont be as much for seating as it will be for ease of access to beach it.

hey andy,

weren't you selling this on craigslist recently ? Just curious .. thanks ..

nice boat ..

DIBS on your windshield if your getting rid of the whole thing .. might need one for my 68 jet star.

i did list it, was getting heat from my wife over some financial issues. but (luckily) i didnt get any hits on it and i still have it. things are sorted out, so it looks like i get to keep the boat! :D

as for the windshield, i am undecided right now. my brother in law thinks i should ditch it all together, but im not sure about that. if i do get rid of it, what are you willing to pay?

Andy in NY

Commander

got a little work done today. the dash was a PITA to get out, and im actually glad i didnt do it when i revamped her the first time. it would have been alot harder to get it back IN!

heres some progress pics:

2010-10-09_12-29-10_116.jpg

2010-10-09_12-37-51_291.jpg

2010-10-09_13-11-46_491.jpg

2010-10-09_13-19-43_890.jpg

2010-10-09_13-33-33_816.jpg

now my problem is i can't get the steering box out. where the shaft comes through the dash theres what looks like a key, but it wont budge! here are some pics of that if anyone can offer some assistance.

2010-10-09_11-54-57_460.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'll be watching ya buddy as I'll do the same if I end up with a closed up front end for my "next" project.

Have fun and pay no mind any grumbling you might get from the Starcraft brohood!

Cheers!:D

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

WOW Andy!! Looks like you have a lot of corrosion there!!! Try floodng the key area w/a good penetrating oil(WD-40 or similar, then let it soak for a day or so) A "little persuading" with a hammer and punch should do the trick.....You can also try heating the shaft/key with a propane torch thats what outboard mechanics do when the have frozen bolts on an engine.....
Best of luck..I will be following you!!!! Jim in Hammond, La.

Andy in NY

Commander

WOW Andy!! Looks like you have a lot of corrosion there!!! Try floodng the key area w/a good penetrating oil(WD-40 or similar, then let it soak for a day or so) A "little persuading" with a hammer and punch should do the trick.....You can also try heating the shaft/key with a propane torch thats what outboard mechanics do when the have frozen bolts on an engine.....
Best of luck..I will be following you!!!! Jim in Hammond, La.

I sprayed with pb blaster and hit it with a hammer and flat head screwdriver with no luck. Ill spray it again and hit it with some heat.

Andy in NY

Commander

QUESTION:

What is going to be the best method to make the cuts to the bow?

fshngho

Lieutenant

A nibbler or electric shears would work but they may leave 'wrinkles'. I would go with a good jigsaw. Tape off the area or the saw plate to reduce any scratches.

Huron Angler

Admiral

My buddy used a pneumatic cutting wheel like this one to chop the bow cover off his 14' aluminum rig.

If you don't have a compresser to use a drill attachment will do the same thing, but would take longer.

It worked very well. You will probably need to go back and smooth out any rough areas but if you go slowly you can get a pretty clean cut the first time.

I'd imagine you can rivet some new aluminum angle stock over any rough areas as well to give it a clean look.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I used a 4" angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cannibalize my rig and it worked great! If you are going slow and just barely put the blade in you can do radius cuts.

Have fun!:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I vote jigsaw. I think it will be more precise and easier to control.

Andy in NY

Commander

My buddy used a pneumatic cutting wheel like this one to chop the bow cover off his 14' aluminum rig.

If you don't have a compresser to use a drill attachment will do the same thing, but would take longer.

It worked very well. You will probably need to go back and smooth out any rough areas but if you go slowly you can get a pretty clean cut the first time.

I'd imagine you can rivet some new aluminum angle stock over any rough areas as well to give it a clean look.

actually i plan to leave an extra inch or 2 and then bend it over. if you look at west coast willys thread, thats what he did. i dont think im going to do a radious, just a straight cut the way he did.

so the quality of the cut isnt the utmost important.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Andy I would still suggest the jigsaw, it's easier to control and cuts more than melts the aluminum. I know its easier to make it straight but if you were to cut relief cuts in the extra 1" area to be bent, you could do a radius. Of coarse you would have to cover that area up or hide it afterwards.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Andy - Did you do any mock-ups of your plan - I thought through the same concept with my 18' Holiday and came up with below - I decided it would hold 1 pint person (my 5'6" wife) or two half pinters ok - but probably too small for a 6' guy.

Here are some pics of what I envsioned.

October2009005.jpg

October2009004.jpg

By the way - didn't do it....may do it in the future it would certainly add quite a bit of space - and there is a reason why most boats are Open Bows these days.

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy - Did you do any mock-ups of your plan - I thought through the same concept with my 18' Holiday and came up with below - I decided it would hold 1 pint person (my 5'6" wife) or two half pinters ok - but probably too small for a 6' guy.

Here are some pics of what I envsioned.

October2009005.jpg

October2009004.jpg

By the way - didn't do it....may do it in the future it would certainly add quite a bit of space - and there is a reason why most boats are Open Bows these days.

Its not so much for holding people; but more for ease of access. We beach ALOT so its to make it easier to get in and out on the beach. I dont even think im going to have seating, rather just a flat deck and if i need to seat the kids up there they can just sit on the deck... similar to what bob_vt did with his.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Andy, a small seat up front would be nice 'cause it could double as a step.:rolleyes: Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.