1970 Sears 4 hp - worth repairing?

robeffy

Cadet
Hi,
I was given a Sears ( Eska ) 4 hp outboard, model No 217-58580. Its complete, but did not run.

I was told it poured gasoline out, after being "put back together".

First thing I checked was compression, which is 55 psi. Seems pretty bad.

Next, I did some disassembly and bought a new spark plug, to replace the missing plug. There is a spark!

Removed the float bowl and there is no needle valve, and the float bowl will leak gas as the mounting area has been crushed and holed. Some form a gasket might seal it for a while..

The prop is pretty dinged up.

There was rust in the gas tank ( built in on the top of the motor ), I blew it out, but there were pieces about 1/8" across. Guessing the inside of the tank is bad.

This just seems like a wall ornament to me..

Thoughts?

I was going to hang it on the back of my CL16 sailboat and putter around. Don't really need it, have a nice Sea Nymph 16 ft side console fishing boat with a 55 lb electric....

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Carb kit is 12 bucks, If you wanted to redline the inside of the tank thats 15 bucks, 55lbs is on the week side. Its a 150 dollar motor but ive bought them cheaper than that. If you want a project to do and want to tear it down its simply a lawn mower. Parts arent hard to find. If I got it for free and was bored I would do it. If I put 75 bucks in it and painted it up nice and purdy I would have a 100 dollar good little motor.

robeffy

Cadet
I checked and the only carb kit I can find is $34 plus 23 for shipping, I live in Canada, and we get raped on stuff from the US.

But, its good to hear from you, because I am pretty sure I would spend more on parts than I could sell it for, and I really don't need the project that bad, and I would just as soon stick my 55 lb thrust trolling motor on my 16 ft sailboat.

Thanks for your feedback.

I may just put it up for sale, once I put it back together, and bet someone will buy it for their "man cave" lol