1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

ledgefinder

Ensign
Joined
May 2, 2002
Messages
916
Re: 1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

The ignition coil should show 28-34000 ohms across the secondary windings and nil (about 0) across the primary. <br /><br />The coils inside the distributor-type thing should show 400 ohms red-to-white (disconnected from switchbox), same for red-to-blue. White-to-blue should show 10 ohms. Red-to-ground should be an open circuit, same with blue & white. <br /><br />The switchbox should deliver 140 volts to the coil (peak reading).<br /><br />I have a question for you about a motor I have. I think I have the same distributor (if you have the switchbox with the red, blue, white & green terminals). When you turn the pulley on the distributor, does it move smoothly or sort of snap-though? I can turn mine a little due to slack in the drivebelt, and it snaps through to another position so that the drivebelt is now tight on the other side. I can't tell if it just some magnets lining up inside the distributor, or whether I've got a bearing problem. <br /><br />I've had two other of these motors (a 71 and another 74) and never noticed this behavior. The thing ran fine for a week of vacation last summer - whatever it is doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I'm probably going to sell it & don't want to pass on something that'll just bust on the next guy. Thanks!
 

bill cook

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 6, 2003
Messages
12
Re: 1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

Hey ledgefinder thank you so much for all the help<br />I really appreciate all the good advice from you and everyone else.<br /><br />which are the primary and secondary coils? ie.... where do I hook the leads from the meter?<br /><br />as for your question my distributor rotates clockwise about 20 degrees (looking from the top of the motor down), but its a little stiff then stops and returns to its original position via some sort of spring mechanism I assume but it does not slip or click into another position.<br /><br />I may be wrong on this as obviously I am not a merc expert, but I believe this is how the motor alternates between cylinders at idle and slow-speed.<br /><br />I sure hope that helps you as you have been very helpfull to me.<br /><br />billy sea
 

bill cook

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 6, 2003
Messages
12
Re: 1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

Hey ledgefinder it's me again I misunderstood your question before. My distributor pulley also makes a little snap sound as it rotates<br />which appears to me to be magnetically induced<br />so I think your alright there.<br /><br />should I be taking these readings you suggested with the motor running? cause thats kinda my problem, my motor won't start! However I am borrowing a 1000 amp booster/starter to get my motor spinning faster hopefully then the magneto/igntion-driver will generate some spark for me. what do you think?<br /><br />thanks again<br /><br />billy sea
 

ledgefinder

Ensign
Joined
May 2, 2002
Messages
916
Re: 1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

Thanks for the note on the distributor - good to know. <br /><br />Seems like the slow starter could cause what you're seeing (weak/no spark) - that ignition is self-energizing. Why don't you just rope start it. You can spin that thing a lot faster with a rope than with any electric starter.
 

ledgefinder

Ensign
Joined
May 2, 2002
Messages
916
Re: 1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

Those resistances are taken with the motor stopped, voltages with the motor running.
 

bill cook

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 6, 2003
Messages
12
Re: 1970 MERC 500 THUNDERBOLT, TEST COIL?

ledgefinder I have the same type of switchhbox<br />red,blue,white,green, and ground. Tried rope starting, pretty tough. When I had the plugs out lubin' the cylinders it turned over real fast.<br />Put the plugs back slowed down again. Must have some serious compression, or did it jump timing?
 
Top