1970 Holiday 18ft Beginning rehab for fishing boat

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man I hate being at the mercy of the weather when you have the drive and ambition to get things done... it about kills me to waste a day.

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Here are some pics of the pin holes I ended up with after cleaning the corrosion with a Dremel. I'm thinking that a solid rivet will work on the single holes. On the one beside the existing rivet, I was going to make an external patch and secure it with 2 or 3 rivets.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
The dilemma all of these that you're showing is that they're behind the keel :blue: .

So unless you plan on removing the entire keel, your options are limited.

The good news is that you're protected from external impact.

I'd 1st consider trying to fill either with one of those aluminum brazing rods or even JB weld stick (since you can't access the other side).

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Very good point! Looking up the aluminum brazing rods. It looks like they are best used with a set of oxy/acc torches. I only have mapp gas, so I'm hesitant. Does anyone have any experience running these rods with mapp gas and aluminum boats? What about an interior patch/5200/blind rivets since it will indeed be protected by the keel?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unfortunately the track record for those rods is 33/33/33.....

Several werent satisfied w the results. A few thought it an ok repair for some applications and not for others. A few liked them.

IMO, user error may contribute heavily to results.

Just be careful heating aluminum

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
What about an interior patch/5200/blind rivets since it will indeed be protected by the keel?

That's what I'm betting on in my hull repair. A wide patch, a uniform coat of 5200 and rivets. I used solid rivets, but closed end rivets could be used. - Grandad

Watermann

You might just have no other option than to fill the pitting with JB or MT.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very good point! Looking up the aluminum brazing rods. It looks like they are best used with a set of oxy/acc torches. I only have mapp gas, so I'm hesitant. Does anyone have any experience running these rods with mapp gas and aluminum boats? What about an interior patch/5200/blind rivets since it will indeed be protected by the keel?
i picked some up for my pitted transom after watching aluminum brazing repair videos on you tube. First thing I did is what I seen on a video in hopes of getting a feel for it before setting heat to my transom. Rammed a screwdriver through the bottom of a pop can and filled the hole with ease. Stuff is solid as well, couldn't punch a hole with the same screwdriver. Tried it on my transom using the same propane canister, but could not get it to stick well enough to the 3/16th hole. Broke out the mapp gas and got the hole filled but I could see a seam. Hit the brazed hole with a punch and knocked it out on the second hit. I don't think I had enough heat as aluminum quickly dissipates heat. One AL company did recommend a better tank tip than I was using. Oxy/ acet may do it.:flame:

PS- After seeing how contorted my transom got with heat applied, i,m out of the brazing idea.:lol: It did rebound after cooling, not sure how.

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
I think the aluminum brazing rods are out for me. I'm looking at the "cabelas" aluminum boat patch as an option. Anyone have any long term experience with that product? Closed end rivets with a small patch lathered in 5200 would probably give me a little more piece of mind.

classiccat

I think the aluminum brazing rods are out for me. I'm looking at the "*******" aluminum boat patch as an option. Anyone have any long term experience with that product? Closed end rivets with a small patch lathered in 5200 would probably give me a little more piece of mind.

I don't blame you for being skeptical of the brazing rods...I'm glad a few of the other guys chimed in. I've never personally used them however a few guys claiming success peaked my curiosity; it seems like a happy medium between JBWeld(Cold) and Welding(Blistering-hot).

I have to admit, I'm not exactly sure what "*******" aluminum boat patch is :lol:

Patches on the inside might cause more standing water issues. I think a 5/32" single closed-end, all-aluminum pop rivet with some 5200 would be a better option...you just have to make sure there's enough clearance on the other side to fit the stem...in otherwords, if it's close to the actual keel, you won't be able to insert it flush...then you have a big hole that you can't fill.

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
The closed end rivets are on order and I actual did order some of the rods...I'm going to try the out on my splash well that has a few cracks. We actually look like we're going to finally have some weather in the 60's this week, so I'm anxious to get moving!

Decker83

Commander
I have used the rods before.. The main problem I had was getting the aluminum clean.. If you have any corrosion left in the pits the rod will not hold.
The heat is the other problem.. I used the mapp gas and it took a lot of bottles.. The welds have held up well over the years..

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Finally got some more work in due to the better weather. I have to admit I tried the aluminum brazing rod to no avail on the splash well. I figured it would be a good place to experiment. I only had a hand held torch with mapp gas. I could only get it up to 650* according to my infrared temp gauge and the way it distorted the aluminum was scary. If I had oxy/accetalyn it may have done better?

So I practiced with my solid rivets instead...probably overkill, but it was fun!
Typical cracks on the splash well

I buttered the backing plates with 5200 and riveted away.

Watermann

^^^ yeah I'm thinking that won't fall off there... :lol:

classiccat

good practice for doing external patches! :thumb:

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Yes it is good practice, but since you pointed out that all the pin holes I found were covered by the keel, I'm not going to be able to go that route. My SS closed end rivets came in so I can fix them next!

MyOutdoors

Seaman Apprentice
Finally put a final coat on the transom side that will show.

Prepping the exterior patch for underneath the knee brace...there where just too many deep pits and pin holes.

Took a break the other day and checked out the scenery where I'll be spending most of my fishing time once the Holiday is up and running!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
That's what it's all about. Something to look forward to.

Ron

Watermann

Oh yeah there's some motivation. I'd like to cruise that lake in my Chief.