1970 Chrysler 70hp outboard motor

The Force power

Commander
"You can hear good compression" How do you possibly hear good compression?
"get the new starter put on" Have you tried to jump the starter solenoid as I told you earlier?

The sound that it makes when u have compression. I haven't tried jumping it yet but when I bought the motor from the guy he did hook up jumpers to the solinoid but the starter didn't do anything.

The Force power

Commander
The sound that it makes when u have compression. I haven't tried jumping it yet but when I bought the motor from the guy he did hook up jumpers to the solinoid but the starter didn't do anything.
What you are hearing the cylinders moving back & forth!
Don't believe anything what the guy told you, Find out yourself
Bypass the solenoid hook up the battery and jump the Starter

Ok. And what kind of battery will get the job done. My car battery seemed to be ok but the terminals were warped and may have caused a weak connection.

Ok thanks. I'll get the new starter and terminals and I'll give it a go.

My one question still remains. Is it normal for the fly wheel to have near impossible to turn with the spark plugs in?

The Force power

Commander

My one question still remains. Is it normal for the fly wheel to have near impossible to turn with the spark plugs in?
Under normal circumstances.....yes it would be by hand.......due to compression of air inside the Cylinders.....get a compression gauge to see how much PSI compression you have

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
always squirt some lube of your choice down the cylinders (a lot) if you dont know how long its been sitting! id take the carbs apart or at the very least off to make sure bugs/dirt daubbers didnt make a nest in the reed cages. if they did you will be sucking in lots of sand

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hard turning with the plugs in: do a compression test. Remove all the plugs and let the motor spin until the gauge stops going up.
Comp ok? clean, rebuild the starter, check battery cables for bad connectors or swelling cables?
That ok? then drop the lower unit and see if the motor turn easier?
The top drive shaft bearing can sieze and cause problems. Remove the water pump and check the bearing(might need a special tool)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
cody has not posted since Oct 10 , 2022 so likely this issue was resolved or the motor scrapped !