FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Going to upgrade the motor on my 1969 Starcraft Jupiter, and just trying to get opinions on what to do, I want to go new as possible but I’m concerned about how heavy is to heavy with newer motors and 4stroke vs 2stroke, etc....
I would avoid a 4 stroke a stern heavy boat rides like crap. A 90hp Yamaha 2stroke triple will give all you want and then some, if to old I would look at a 70hp Etec. The Jupiter will handle 85hp. The old OMC 85 hp weighed 295 lbs. Get the highest hp u can afford in the 275 lb range you will be happy.
That is a good motor, I ran one for about a year and the power was very smooth and abundant, I have been looking for one to put on the Super Sport I just purchased.