1969 Starcraft Holiday Renovation--1st Timer and Just Starting

Rowdy1

Cadet
Re: 1969 Starcraft Holiday Renovation--1st Timer and Just Starting

Thanks for all the advice in response to our posts. I drove the boat home today, but before I left the mechanic took the time to show me the motor he was talking about selling for $500. It is an '84 Mercruiser engine, and he said he's been servicing it for about 5 years. He said the previous owner had an issue with his transom and didn't want to spend what it would cost to fix it, so he sold it to the mechanic for scrap. Still passed on it, at least for now. I want to be certain that the current engine is dead and not fixable before I look to something else.

So I brought the boat home and parked it, and my father-in-law came by to look at it, simply because the story so far seemed fishy. Didn't spend long, but noticed the fuel line wasn't attached. :facepalm: Would the mechanic have had any reason to disconnect it? Looking online for a manual for the '83 mercruiser, a friend of mine has a Clymer shop manual for mercruisers, but it starts around '86 I think through '90 something. I should be looking for a 'shop manual', correct? And does it matter who wrote it? Just looking ahead a little...

At any rate, at the latest I'll be looking at it probably this weekend, got two events with one of our kids, so we'll post more after we know a little more.

Thanks again for all the help!

Decker83

Commander

I would think if the mechanic started the boat and ran it for any lenght of time and the block was cracked there would be water mixed in the new oil.. Check and see if the oil looks milky.. If it is you have a cracked block or blown head gasket..
A piston knock will not go away.. It could have been a stuck lifter he was hearing..

He could have pulled the fuel line to make sure it was getting fuel to the carb.. It should not have been left lose..

BTW great look SC..

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know which Mercruiser 4cyl you've got, and this may be a link to a condensed service manual, which isn't ideal, neither are the Seloc (sp?) or Clymer manuals. But it may be of use, so:

Go to:
EBSCOhost - world's foremost premium research database service

Username: marshall
Password: public

after logon:

Select small engine repair

Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down & select manufacturer

Specific for your year & motor would be better, but in a pinch the combined could be better then nothing.

Iboats sells service manuals. As do other online vendors. May be called a shop manual..

Good luck.

dozerII

Admiral

Something smells real bad about what this marine mechanic is saying and offering. If he changed the oil cause there was water in it, the new oil would still be a little milky, just look at the oil on the dip stick. I takes a couple changes to get it all out. Put some muffs on the outdrive, turn the water on and run the motor yourself that will tell you lots. He may have had the fuel line off so he could use gas from a jerry can instead of the stale stuff in the boat tank.

Rowdy1

Cadet

I don't know which Mercruiser 4cyl you've got, and this may be a link to a condensed service manual, which isn't ideal, neither are the Seloc (sp?) or Clymer manuals. But it may be of use, so:

Thanks for the site link, I checked it out and I'm sure it will be useful when I'm looking at it this weekend. Also, thanks for the idea for CL for another. With the replacement motor this guy is offering being an '84, it seems like I could get a better deal maybe looking that way.

Last edited:

Rowdy1

Cadet

Something smells real bad about what this marine mechanic is saying and offering. If he changed the oil cause there was water in it, the new oil would still be a little milky, just look at the oil on the dip stick. I takes a couple changes to get it all out. Put some muffs on the outdrive, turn the water on and run the motor yourself that will tell you lots. He may have had the fuel line off so he could use gas from a jerry can instead of the stale stuff in the boat tank.

He showed me the oil while I was there, and it was cloudy when I looked at it. WIll double check though when I get into it over the weekend to make sure it looks it was changed at all.

How can I check to see if the block is cracked if I am able to get the engine out? I'm debating renting a hoist to check it out once I've looked at these other ideas everyone has given.

Thanks all.

dozerII

Admiral

He showed me the oil while I was there, and it was cloudy when I looked at it. WIll double check though when I get into it over the weekend to make sure it looks it was changed at all.

How can I check to see if the block is cracked if I am able to get the engine out? I'm debating renting a hoist to check it out once I've looked at these other ideas everyone has given.

Thanks all.

Make sure you run it before you haul it out just for your own piece of mind. The 4 cyl, usually crack just below the exhaust and intake ports, under the exhaust manifold. It is tough to get a look in there with the manifold on, but you can stick your cell phone under it and get a good pic to see if there is any rust staining on the side of the block, which is the first indicator of a crack.

Rowdy1

Cadet

Ok... been a little bit, but had a chance to work on the motor with the help of my father-in-law. Very happy to have his help, for 2 main reasons.

1. He did much of the work on this boat when he bought it in 1983.
2. He's much more mechanically inclined than I am and has had experience with this boat.

Replaced the distributor cap, replaced the stuff underneath, adjusted the points. Gas tank had couple issues, (pump line degraded/broken into tank main issue) so temporarily hooked the gas line up to a gas can with about a gallon and a half of gas in it. Battery was no good after topping off and charging overnight, so hooked it up to my car with cables. Lowered the outboard section, hooked up the water, and after quite a few tries, got the engine started and running.

Didn't hear any knocking or noise from the engine that was out of place. Also forgot to mention, but we had to reinstall the 2 plugs to the motor from where it had been winterized a few years ago, and adjust the valve on the motor as well before we started trying to run it.

After lunch, since the motor was working, I went ahead and started ripping out the rotten floor and taking off the sides. Proved to be a little more annoying than I expected, but eventually got the 2 larger sections of flooring out (all except for the plywood at the bow and around the engine.

Here are a few pics... still a long way to go with it, but at least with the engine working the cost of fixing everything went our way for now.

Damaged floor under carpet:

Side with throttle with carpet removed:

Sides removed, floor removed:

We'll pull the rest of the plywood out (around engine and at bow), pull the foam, save to reuse if possible, then see what we need to work on.

All in all a good day.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Damaged floor under carpet:

Side with throttle with carpet removed:

Sides removed, floor removed:

This is a prime example of what happens to a boat when it's left uncovered and exposed to the elements. A good example of a bad example.

Keep your boat covered/protected from the elements when you get her built back and she'll give you many years of care free boating pleasure.

Check your oil again tomorrow and keep an eye on it to see if it clouds/milks back up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not to fault the FIL, but too bad he didn't keep the weather out of the boat. If the motor is ok (fingers crossed for you)then re-doing the floors isn't too bad a job. How is the transom plywood? If the floor is that bad, good chance the transom isn't much better.

Keep a close eye on the oil, like jig said. Any signs of rust/water under the exhaust manifold? Maybe you skated, hope so.

LakeGal

Cadet

Not to fault the FIL, but too bad he didn't keep the weather out of the boat.

He is stickler for keeping the boat covered, so the fault is mostly ours for letting it sit out in the backyard so long. :facepalm: In our defense, it was quite springy when we got it from my uncle, who had it for several years before.

How is the transom plywood? If the floor is that bad, good chance the transom isn't much better..

The transom seems to be ok, by some miracle. It definitely needs a sanding and a coat of paint. We'll know more about that once the rest of the floor is up.

Big job, but we were so excited that she cranked up! :D

Bkarb

Seaman

Restoring a stracraft myself I am keeping up with this thread good luck with the holiday my thought with mine is each piece I accomplish puts her one step closer to the water I'm pretty much the opposite of u guys tho my floor is solid but transom was shot

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like potentially good news! I thought you guys mentioned that the mechanic had changed the plugs? Did he put your old plugs back in after you decided to pull boat?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

That's a boat with A TON of potential!

It's gotta be a relief that the motor is firing...fingers crossed for a healthy powerplant!

Rowdy1

Cadet

Sounds like potentially good news! I thought you guys mentioned that the mechanic had changed the plugs? Did he put your old plugs back in after you decided to pull boat?

He changed the plugs and the oil. He didn't do anything to the distibutor cap or the pieces under it.By stuff under it I meant the things in a tune up kit... condenser, contact set and rotor, think that's what they're called. Then had to adjust it with a feeler gauge to make sure the gap on the points were right.

Rowdy1

Cadet

Sorry... I misunderstood. By plugs in the engine I meant the two that you remove when you winterize, to allow water to drain from what my fil said. Also there was a valve dealing with the same thing.

On a side note, great day to be out on the water! Happy Memorial Day! Wish we were there with y'all.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Buy yourself a repair and maintenance manual for your motor and drive, it'll pay for itself quickly with the maintenance you do yourself instead of taking it to a mechanic.

You can get one on CD a lot cheaper than a paper one, try ebay for this.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Now I understand. I was thinking spark plug, and not being familiar with i/o's at all you were talking about winterizing plug. Don't think you're the only one not on the water! Had big plans for working on boat this weekend and it won't stop raining.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, that's a nice looking sc. In the midde of a restro myself. I have a 1968 sc holiday. Nice to see the engine looks okay, I am converting to a v-6 myself, he he. Good luck, this a great site and a bunch of guys to talk with

Decker83

Commander

Good to hear about the motor.. Just keep at it and you will have a great boat one day..:encouragement: