1969 Orlando Clipper Deck Repair Question, soft floor in bow area

duwood

Cadet
Good afternoon - I recently purchase a 1969 Orlando Clipper with a 69 Evinrude 65HP. We're getting the boat cleaned up since it was in a lake for about 2 years without hull cleaning. At any rate we noticed a piece of plywood near the bow in between the front seats. When I pulled it up I saw there was a soft spot in the fiberglass with a crack there. It appears there was deck rot at some point and when someone stood there the fiberglass cracked. I put my finger under there and was able to pull out some of the wood from under the fiberglass. It was almost gooey, definitely rotted. I put a video online on Youtube and would like some feedback. I have never owned a boat nor done any fiberglass work.

Youtube Video:
http://youtu.be/3Ml-pBBrR0Y

Photo of the area:
BoatDeck.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Orlando Clipper Deck Repair Question, soft floor in bow area

hi.....welcome to iboats.

yep....thats rot !

alot of boats rot there......

the lack of carpet will make things easier for you.

we will need to see more pictures of the boat to determine the easiest way of approaching the repair.

if you have a ski locker it will make it easier for you.

the standard approach is to remove the upholstered wood panels....then cut out the deck in the area.....if its wet....it comes out.

the fungus that causes rot spreads with the moiusture.....so if you have an area that is rot...and an area that is just wet beside it....the fungus is already there in the wet wood....so its just a matter of time till that stuff goes as well.

ok.......cut out the bad area.....glass the new deck under side......cut the deck to shape and lay it in.

we can get into the tabbing and peanut butter a bit later.

there is a possibility that there is more damage that you cannot see......so when the deck comes up.....post pics of that area and we can guide you to what has to happen for your boat to be good.

cheers
oops

duwood

Cadet

oops-- thanks so much for the quick reply. I have included some additional photos of the inside of the boat. I have the wood placed back over the spot which you can see in the front of the boat. The entire deck is fiberglass and is molded into the side with part of the deck being the hull of the boat (the part that is slanted on the sides up near the front).

What appears will be the challenge is:
- getting to and cutting out the area when it's under part of the dash and front sitting area
- matching new fiberglass to cover the new wood I put down and the textured gelcoat on the floor

This boat did not have any carpet in it when I got it so as you mentioned that'll probably make it a lot easier.

Will it hurt the boat if I wait until fall to do the repair? I'm assuming it will continue to degrade.

Thanks again. Really nervous about this since it's not something I've worked on before. I have plenty of cars but not boats.

Take care,

David

More Pics:
boat2.jpg

boat.jpg

boat4.jpg

boat3.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hello David,

Welcome to the iboats drydock...

Nice looking craft you got there...

You have already gotten the attention of one of the top guys here when it comes to restoring and repairing boats, so you are in good hands...

I would add...

If this is your first boat, try and get a good manual for the engine, preferably a factory manual, or at the very least some aftermarket manual...use it as a guide to performing all of the required maintenance [change the lower unit oil,check for leaks, replace the water pump impeller, put a fresh set of spark plugs in, etc.] on the engine, to make sure that it A- runs properly, and B- continues to live a long and happy life...This is one of the biggest expenses of having a boat, and if the engine isn't top notch, you are in for a good chunk of extra expense...

Anything you decide you need or want to do to this boat, you are in the best possible place to get all the info and support you will need...

Have Fun and Best of Luck,
GT1M