1968 Holiday Deluxe, all original barn find! NOW WITH PICS!!

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Picking up a 1968 Holiday Deluxe, boat complete, all original barn find!

DSCN3127.jpg

DSCN3122.jpg

DSCN3125.jpg

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3119.jpg

DSCN3114.jpg

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSCN3115.jpg

DSCN3116.jpg

DSCN3118.jpg

DSCN3124.jpg

DSCN3128.jpg

DSCN3132.jpg

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSCN3141.jpg

DSCN3145.jpg

DSCN3149.jpg

DSCN3148.jpg

DSCN3151.jpg

I will write up more about the acquisition and testing of the motor later but, this is the second time I have tried to post this as I hit the wrong key and erased it the last time. :mad:

I am super excited about this and while it has a few areas that need to be addressed I suspect it will be on the water soon!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Darn good find FreeBay. Looks like you can be on the water in short order. No I'm not jealous. :facepalm:

I'm quite happy for you, Hope that 120 fires right up and purrs. You are now a Tin Man! LOL Have fun.

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. What a great boat. Congrats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that thing is a time capsule! Good luck getting it running. Make sure all your bellows and everything are serviced or in good shape before you splash it.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What a great deal. I was looking forward to seeing the pics and it brought back memories!
My 68 was the same exact color hull and same brown vinyl all over the dash and side panels.
Yours is in much better shape and paid 300 bucks less than my boat!
Anything I can do to help, just holler!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Thats A Nice A Boata Origional and hardly looks used. If the motor was drained properly you should be in Fat City. good luck and keep us posted. As the forum said be sure to lube every thing before running as it prob. is very much in need of it. Also Pull the wheels and change the baearing grease. Pugetsound

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

OH also look out for the Blue and Red lights someone is looking for the guy who stole there Boat. LOL I bought a 22 Holiday 4 years ago All origional and other than normal operating cost has not cost me a dime. 200 hp outboard and a 9.9 kicker and loaded with gear. Drove 950 miles round trip to get it. Its real fun when you find a deal like this.

dozerII

Admiral

Great boat and a great find. Hope everything is good with the motor and outdrive for you.
Glen

GA_Boater

OH also look out for the Blue and Red lights someone is looking for the guy who stole there Boat.

PS is saying drive it like you stole it. Ha Ha, What a minute, I think you did. LOL

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the complements and advice. Keep the advice coming cause I have plenty of questions coming!

Here is what I have found so far. When I hooked up a battery I started chasing the ignition wiring. I have 12x to the starter solenoid. When I turn the key to run one of the small terminals gets 12v. When I turn the key to start nothing happens. I still have 12 to the main lug and the small terminal on the one side of the starter solenoid. There is nothing going to the other side. So I used my jump box to put 12v to the other small terminal and it turned right over and tried to start on the first turn. It caught me off guard since I wasn't ready for it to run. With that figured out I pulled the plugs and put my compression gauge on the 1st cyl: 120psi, 2nd cyl jumped really fast up to 160psi, 3rd cyl 120psi, and the 4th cyl was 120psi also. All but the 2nd cyl built pressure over a few rotations. The 2nd cyl jumped up to 160 almost immediately which seemed odd to me. My first thought was a bent pushrod not opening the exhaust valve. I pulled the valve cover and was shocked to see... Nothing but oil. There was no sign of sludge or any wear at all. When I turned the motor over all the valves seem to be moving properly by eye but I haven't taken any specs on it.

The previous owner disconnected the trim rams since he couldn't get it to work. He says it makes noise like it is trying but doesn't do anything. I haven't checked it yet to even see if it has oil in it. He said he didn't know where the oil went.

The trailer need some attention though. The tongue jack broke as soon as we tried to raise the tongue to hook up the truck so the bolts were cut off and it was scraped. The winch is missing the wiring so I don't know if it works or not but it doesn't seem that the line brake is working so that probably needs to be replaced. The lights are questionable as they barely light up so they will probably get swapped out along with the wiring for a new set of LED lights. Lastly the tires are old bias ply F78-14 tires that are showing some dry rot and on the 40 mile trip home seemed to get awefull warm. They will be replaced with a set of radials once I figure out what size I need.

That is all I have learned in the first 24hrs of ownership. The boat now is resting comfortably in my carport where it will live out its days waiting for me to take it to the lake. I have a lofty hope of "splashing it for the first time in a month when I take a week of vacation at the lake.

So where should I start and what should I watch out for. This is my first inboard motor so I am a little lost here when it comes to the sterndrive and would be grateful for any advise you can give me.

Thanks again guys!!

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah... In a way I did steal it. I thought about feeling bad for a minute, but then got over it! The kid was happy, I gave him his full asking price so he got what he wanted. He even gave to a rubbermaid box of extra parts and peices along with a service manual. He wanted the cash to put into his "new" project... an 87 Bayliner like my old one. :) I found great humor in that.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Very nice rig you found there!!:)

GA_Boater

Hey Free - look in the "Adults Only" thread in the Mercruiser forum. There are links to manuals there.

Good thing - The engine isn't frozen. The high reading on #2 is unusual, but I'm not sure what the normal compression should be. The manual will have the info.

Good thing you got over feeling bad! Bet you still have a :D on.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Im sure that when you turn the motor over a few and get the oil to lube it circulating the compression will be realy close. First thin to do is get the motor and drie squared away then you can do the small stuff. The trailer should be fun and you might even keep an eye open for a replacement. It would be foolish to spend a lot and then find you have a motor and drive problem and the boat sits for a while till its repaired. Sounds like the whole package -trailer is in fine shape, esp when the engine fired right away. Where back east do you live I have a friend back there that has a tow truck????????????????????????????? really best of luck keep us posted.

dozerII

Admiral

Make sure to check all the bellows for cracks or tears, if the drive shaft bellows leak you can got the bottom pretty fast.
Glen

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the best route to take when dealing with anything thats been sitting for a number of years is to replace all ignition components.Like the Cap,plugs,wires and so on.I also drain and refill all fluids and then see where I am from there.Otherwise youre hunting issues through relatively inexpensive parts that will need to be replaced anyways.Especially when you know youre going to be using the vehicle and or Boat in this case because its nice enough to warrant it.

You have definitely found something nice enough to warrant all of that.So good luck and I have no problem admitting that Im VERY jealous.Good find and good luck.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I learned the hard way on my first launch.
It overheated due to the old impeller in the lower leg and the fact that the water jacket was Damn near closed shut with sand and calcium deposits.
I agree, motor and drive before anything else.
New paint and seats don't get you back to the dock.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Was 1968 the biggest year for 18' Holidays or what? That boat - with those colors - must have been freaking hot in the sun. We had our 18H out all weekend in the blazin' sun and I was dreaming of a bimini!!!

BTW - had a blast all weekend as the "Bare Naked Lady" performed flawlessly pulling tubers and slalom skiers for 4+ hour stretches - never missed a beat and the skiers loved the small wake. I had a 17 pitch prop that worked great...

Good luck with your resto - their are plenty of 18H's - as well as other - here to learn from!!