1968 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp won't stay running

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
77
I can get it to start and run for about a minute or 2 but then it dies. I rebuilt the fuel pump and carb last year, even put on new top unit on carb. it ran fine after that but now this year it won't stay runing. I am getting gas to carb. but it still dies after a short time. If I pump the bulb again it does fire. Any ideas on where I might be shucking air? Can't see any leaks but not a outboard tech. Thanks
 

Paul Moir

Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
6,847
Re: 1968 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp won't stay running

By far the most likely place for air leaks is at the fuel line quick connector(s). The little o-rings in them wear out pretty quickly. It's not difficult to dig out the o-rings and replace them with new ones from your local dealer, or you can just replace the whole connector.<br />To see if this is the problem, you can try a couple things. First, does the engine keep running if you keep priming it? Second - and most telling - you can install a short peice of transparent hose temporarily between the fuel pump and carb. Then watch for bubbles in it.
 

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
77
Re: 1968 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp won't stay running

Thanks for reply. I did install the transparent hose to make sure the pump was working. I did not check the o-rings, I will do that today, that is likely the problem as this is not the same tank I was running last year.
 
Top