1966 MFG Carousel

Phill0046

Recruit
Hello, this is my first post here! Through being in the right place at the right time I am now the owner of a 1966 MFG Carousel

22667609.jpg

The fiberglass looks to be solid, we are in the process of tearing out the wood. and pretty much gutting it down to something I can work with.

Here is the interesting part of the deal,
The engine is a buick v6. The man who owned it sent it to a local machine shop where it was fully built for performance, then he filled it to the top with oil and never took it out of the crate they gave it back to him in. All of the drive components are also stored in the garage, so in theory a working boat should be able to come out of this pile.

I am a bodyman by trade, so I am comfortable with fiberglass and paint, but this is my first boat, and I don't think it will be any small task. Any tips on things I should be looking for in particular? Thanks for any help, and I will put up some more pictures when we get into it next weekend if anyone is interested.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Epic boat project

Post this over to the Restoration section. You'll get tons of help from the best around.

Welcome to iboats, and congrats on the new boat!

Phill0046

Recruit

And now I know there is a restoration section... Thank you sir.

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1966 MFG Carousel

Phill0046,
Welcome to the Iboats madness.
First thing I would suggest is use the search function and do a lot of reading. Grab you favorite beverage and start reading. There are several great threads.
I would check the stringers and transom to start with. I would also make sure the motor is truly operational.
Looks like it will be an interesting project.
Good luck
Bob

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forum and goodluck with your project!
I got my first boat awhile back and this site has helped me through it all.
I'm now on my second project which is a much bigger boat and had plenty of help from the great members here.
In the resto section they really know thier stuff!
Great advice and very helpful people.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

P.S.
Rubbing compound an orbital and a little elbow grease and you'll have that hull looking great in no time!

pduquette

Ensign

Ahoy! welcome aboard ! Looks like a great project . We have only seen pictures of 1 carosel in the MFG Forum (Scroll down to the Boat - by - manufacturer section) we'd love to see more too ! You gonna swap in a GNX motor for fun ? :cool::D Check out OOP'S" Hull extension thread " he details an everything you need to know tutorial for just about any repair... peter

Phill0046

Recruit

Awesome guys thanks for the info! I will put some more pictures up saturday when we tear into her!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool looking boat!!!!

FYI, Post the pic of your boat in the tri-hull club thread here and you will be a member of the Order of Tri-hullist in a jiffy.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=346413

Make sure you take plenty of pics as you go through restoration and keep us updated.

Last edited: