89 OMC 3.0L won't Plane

jackson1110

Recruit
Hello,

I have a Sunbird Corsica 175 with a 4 cyclnder OMC. Let me give you all the facts so you can help me better. I had to take it to the shop to have the gears replaced because it wouldn't stay in foward.( the omc recall ) When I got the Boat back a few thousand dollars and five weeks later, I put the boat in, bump the key, starts right up, put it in reverse(with no effort for a change). Start heading out and the Boat won't come up on plane without puttering out. It didn't make sence because I just got it out of the shop. I started with the standard tune up plugs, timming, fuel filter. I put on a new coil pack because I think it's an electrical problem. If this has happened to someone or somebody can give me a little insite. That would be great.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 89 OMC 3.0L won't Plane

Does the engine start missing when you put it in forward?

jackson1110

Recruit

The Boat starts, idles, and runs fine until about 3000 rpms. Right before it comes up on plane it's like its loosing fire. Thats why I changed the coil and points. I had another person tell me it was the carb. I don't know wich way to go, fuel or spark. At idle speed I have them both.

jackson1110

Recruit

I think it is the carb. I opened it up and found a bunch of trash in the bowl. We'll see.