1966 Mercury 1100SS Firing Problems

classicfins

Cadet
Hi folks,<br /> I just found this site a little while ago and I love it. I have a problem with a Merc 1100. I bought it from a guy that had used it a couple of times and then pulled it off his boat to redo his boat. <br /><br /> Anyway, it had sat for about 6 months before I got it. I mounted it and tried to see if it would start, but it wouldn't fire at the plugs so I pulled the cap off and it was corroded. I sanded the contacts in the cap and it fired right up. I ran it for a day and it did ok other than the carbs needing rebuilt or cleaned.<br /><br /> A week later I went to start it just to make sure it would crank before taking my son to the lake for a couple of hours. It wouldn't fire at the plugs again. The contacts in the cap were not corroded this time and I don't know where to start to track down the trouble. Anyone have a sort of check list of where to start and what to check? <br /><br /> Also, how does the rotor come out? Is it pressed into the bearing of the points assembly or what? I can't get that sucker loose for nothing. I have seen a tool for removing the rotor on a mercury 6 cylinder, but I don't know if it will work on mine. The pliers have the part #32477 if anyone knows about these things.<br /><br /> I realize this messege is super long and I apologize. If anyone wants to email directly my email is classicfins@hotmail.com. Thanks!<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Doug

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 Mercury 1100SS Firing Problems

No need to appologise for a long post. some posts aren't long enough, leaving much to the imagination
smile.gif
<br />It could be the stator connections or coil connections. <br />Also, the socket behind the Quicksilver control has been known to ruin many fishing trips. They tend loose their seal, work loose and corrode. The other end of this wire harness (at the engine) has a plug and socket arangement too, which has the same shortcommings. When presented with a Merc with the Quicksilver control and wire harness, I make a bee-line for these "weak links" first.<br />I hope you get her back on the water soon. That's an awesome engine,and makes my brother in-laws clasic Glastron bass boat FLY.

classicfins

Cadet
Re: 1966 Mercury 1100SS Firing Problems

I hadn't even thought of the connection of the harness at the motor. I'll check that out pronto. Thanks for the tip<br /><br />------------------<br />Doug