1966 Merc 95hp no fire.

merc1

Seaman
I have a 66 merc 95 hp that is not firing. With that out of the way this motor has not run for sometime. The carbs will be redone as well as the fuel pumps. What i want to do is get it fireing or find out why it is not. I have been running the thunder bolts for some time and like them a lot this is my first point type motor. I have the Mercury service manual for this motor. What i dont have are all the tools you need to check everything out. I do have a volt meter and a timming light as well as hand tools of all kinds. I was wanting to know if anyone would walk me though the ignition part' the rest is easy for me. The manual says if i want to take the distributoroff to just remove the wires and the 4 bolts and take it off. That all sounds good and easy and that i can do. But if i do this what about the timming do i mark it or will it only go in one way this is the thinks the book dont tell you. I want to learn and am willing to try anything that the book shows but want to make sure i am not going to mess anything up. I am good at fixing things but this is something i have never done before so if you could help i would be gratefull. Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1966 Merc 95hp no fire.

The 950s were built with reg and CD ign. which is yours

merc1

Seaman

Ii is reg ign it has two round coils. If you have manual #c-90-68647 the wiring is show'en on page#3g-11. Thank You Laddies.

Laddies

Banned

If you have a dwell meter you can test the points with out removing the dist. Use a voltmeter to make sure the ballasts and coils have voltage. Ity's not uncommon for the engine plug to go bad.

merc1

Seaman

Hi and Thank you! I do have 12 volts at the coils . I took the volt meter and checked where the mercury switch go to the dist and had a reading there if this is any help. Thanks again.

merc1

Seaman

What are the ball asts. Can the dist cap be removed with out taken the dist out. It looks like it can but i am not sure.Thanks Ernie.