1966 Glastron Futura V-150 Project

DrgnRebrn

Cadet
IMG_0737640x480.jpg

IMG_0736640x480.jpg

IMG_0732640x480.jpg

Have any of you heard of this product, know anyone that has used it, or have any general thoughts on whether this would be a valid product for replacing stringers with?

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_trim_hardietrim.py

I am looking at using the 1.5" T x 3.5" W x 10' L Artisan Smooth product, which is approx $30 @ my local home improvement store. This is a fiber concrete product specifically designed for use on exterior siding trim applications for homes, like around windows, doors, garages, etc. I have installed tile for 12 years and only use the HardieBacker backerboard because of it's superior moisture & mold resistance. I am trying to find an alternative material in place of Seacast as I'd most likely need approx 10 gal of it to do my transom & stringer repair/replacement and that will run me several hundred dollars. I am even thinking of doing my deck out of the .5" T HardieBacker board (HardieBacker 500) as this will completely eliminate natural products from my boat rebuild.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly welcomed! If anyone has used alternative materials in place of wood or Sseacast transom, stringers, & deck replacements I would be very intreested to know how it has turned out.

The only issue I can think of right off hand would be weight. Since Seacast floats I assume it adds a certain level of bouyancy to the boat, in place of foam. I would be filling every available space under the deck with bouyancy foam in order to counter the possible weight/floatation issue; however I don't really know if it's something I should be too concerned about, thoughts?

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1966 Glastron Futura V-150 Project

this has been discussed b4 and i believe the general consensus is/was that it does not have the correct properties to be used in a marine application.
it would however be rot resistant, ive used it around the house, its fairly eaasy to work with, i dont think it has the strength to b used in a moving, flexing, bouncing across the water type application, its made to go on a home, mine doesnt move and it has held up well.

DrgnRebrn

Cadet
Re: 1966 Glastron Futura V-150 Project

Good point on the flexibility issue. I do not plan on using this boat for anything other than fishing, and perhaps pulling the occasional tuber. The only time I'd be going faster than 1-3 mph would be going to my next fishing hole. Should I worry about flexibility for this type of recreational application?