1966 Dorsett San Juan 19' Full Restoration

Jake_Sin

Cadet
Hello All,

After staring at my land locked San Juan for long enough it's finally time to start the demo & rebuild. After removing some of the floor & exposing the rot its clear this girl needs a full make-over. This will be a total overhaul as the stringers are completely rotted out & there's even termite damage on the interior wood. My biggest question is whether or not I should cut the splash well off before rebuilding the transom or should I cut the glass of the back and leave the top attached? I am looking for advice on if this is needed and if so where should I cut? I am trying to avoid splitting the cap from the hull as much as possible so any advice on a cut line is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jake

Attachments

• 20220424_134840 (1).jpg
    20220424_134840 (1).jpg
    971.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220424_134603.jpg
    20220424_134603.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220424_163029.jpg
    20220424_163029.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220424_144044.jpg
    20220424_144044.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Cool looking boat there... Interested to follow along and see the final result... don't forget to take more measurements than you think you could possibly need... take so many pics you think its annoying... and don't forget to have fun

Jake_Sin

Cadet
Cool looking boat there... Interested to follow along and see the final result... don't forget to take more measurements than you think you could possibly need... take so many pics you think its annoying... and don't forget to have fun

Couldn't agree more, luckily with smartphones snapping pictures and adding true measurements to the pics is a quick task. I'll be sure to keep up with posting the progress. This classic deserves to be brought back to its original glory.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After my boats surgery I would go with line 1 in red and remove the whole cap. Removing all the crap wood/glass will be easiest this way. You won't have to do alot of upside down gunnel glass in the area whereas it's hard to get to to.
All prefabbed and can almost tongue groove it back in. Like MP said.
Cool boat. Nice project. Hope you are up for it.
On board.

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Although my boat is quite a bit smaller than yours I went ahead and pulled the cap off mine, glad I did. It was so much easier working on the sides of the hull. That is going to look so great when you finish, be patient and do it right so you can enjoy it to the fullest. Good luck and look forward to the progress.

Jake_Sin

Cadet
Thanks for the insight so far, I think I'm leaning towards the red line and removing the back of the cap to give me unhindered access. Cabin is 90% torn out with the unpleasant surprise of termites in the bulkhead. Looks like all the wood is coming out after all. 20220424_180339.jpg20220426_113341.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After my boats surgery I would go with line 1 in red and remove the whole cap. Removing all the crap wood/glass will be easiest this way. You won't have to do alot of upside down gunnel glass in the area whereas it's hard to get to to.
All prefabbed and can almost tongue groove it back in. Like MP said.
Cool boat. Nice project. Hope you are up for it.
On board.
REphrase..I meant to remove the whole rear cap marked in red to service.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know anything about that boat or how it's built.
But I do know that I have pulled 2 caps so far,. and it makes things so much easier.
But... I have an unfair advantage., Midi(Tad larger than)mini excavator.
Look things over and figure what is easiest and labor positive in your favor.
And what you could Blend back the best.

I agree,. Kool looking Boat.
DAMN TERMITES.

I had big black carpenter ants in foam and transom. So I get it.

Jake_Sin

Cadet
Does anyone have diagram of the original stringer placement for a 1966 San Juan? It definitely looks like the existing rotten stringers are not original. I don't believe the originals had the "bilge well?" (Sorry, not sure of the proper word for the area with the water pickup). I'm a big fisherman and will not be doing a period correct restoration so I'll definitely be keeping the water pickup.

Also that area has the drain plug sealed over and came with a bildge pump in that well. I'm thinking I'll be putting a drain hole in the new transom & a new bildge pump back in the well. Thoughts?

Final question. What's everyone's opinion on cutting or leaving in place the original inwales (under the gun gunwales in the cockpit) during the restoration? To me the glass is in great shape and the wood core is solid so I'm not seeing much of a reason to mess with them.

Thank you,
Jake
20220424_172446.jpg20220424_172500.jpg 20220424_123441.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Typically, the grooves/strakes are where the stringers go. Looks like what's there is normal, just a crappy job. Bulkheads can be anywhere at this point and add horizontal strength in addition to more work. I would add a bulkhead somewhere to pick up the sides of the hull.
Bilge/pump a def. ! Make an area for it is all.
Last question is if its good go with it.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's funny! I was going to say the same thing to you. Funnin is good instead of tight butts.
True that.

I try and give or get a chuckle from time to time and try and be mindful and not insult while doing so.
But I have humor like my lumber,.. it can be "Twisted" at times.
But "My" keyboard lingo and how 5 people read it, and take it..
Could be 8 different reactions.

Jake_Sin

Cadet
Typically, the grooves/strakes are where the stringers go. Looks like what's there is normal, just a crappy job. Bulkheads can be anywhere at this point and add horizontal strength in addition to more work. I would add a bulkhead somewhere to pick up the sides of the hull.
Bilge/pump a def. ! Make an area for it is all.
Last question is if its good go with it.
Thank you

Jake_Sin

Cadet
Another day, another surprise. I put in some hours today to cut out the old stringers only to find the keel is completely rotten at both ends. It almost looks like the center stringer (which was one piece from bow to stern) is also the wood inside the keel. For whatever reason I expected the keel to be encapsulated from the stringers/bildge. I'm thinking best course of action is grind down the glass to the width of the keel, removing all old wood, cleaning the interior glass of the keel, maybe lay 1 or 2 layers of tape & expoxy to reinforce the inside of the keel, add new wood (I'm thinking lumber not ply), and glass over the keel. Any suggestions on wood or thoughts on this process?

I also found out that the bottom of the boat is cored wood but luckily I only found one small crack with minimal rot. That being said it think the entire bottom inside hull would benefit from a sanding & layer of glass to ensure all existing core stays good.

-Jake

Attachments

• 20220430_165007.jpg
    20220430_165007.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220430_163901.jpg
    20220430_163901.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220430_163049.jpg
    20220430_163049.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220430_140051.jpg
    20220430_140051.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220430_130718.jpg
    20220430_130718.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is why some elect composites.
I agree with them, However,.
I'm not going to pay freight and whatever the going rate is and climbing,
If I could source it locally maybe.
I think like you, Whenever in doubt add a layer of glass.
I also believe if you take the time and care to seal up wood/lumber,. it can last a long time,. but I'm fighting that battle now on a different thread of mine. and I've done and re-done and about to do again..
Like Rocky and Bullwinkle, "that $#!+ never works" "this time for sure" lol.
But keep your chin up these old boats always have rotten wood,. it's just the way it is.
And its why we do what we do. (trying to beat the system)or insanity. same action, same result. hoping for a break in the luck.
And remember, these old boats have been around a long time Man,. and we're just lucky they lasted this long, think what they have endured over the years.
If you were left out in the elements 60+ yrs. and not even neglected, you'd be in rough shape too.
It'll be worth it when you get it done,. just time and money and a little itching.

I'm in a different boat, same boat yard(condition)