DSC00685.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1965 Starcraft Cheiftain

Craig - Im sure your boat is what you wanted, what difference with what the speed or the trim as long as you are satisfied. ------ Pudgetsound

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe 1965 Starcrafts did not come from the factory with foam. Foam was not mandated in boats until after 1968.
My 1962 had white sheet Styrofoam that was water logged. Replaced it with sheet foam insulation. TG for no pored foam! Keep up the good work!

Just looked at the photos is that gal bare or is that silver paint?

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

The entire boat is bare metal.
Once everything else is done I plan to paint just the horizontal surfaces such as the top of the cuddy and the deck.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1962 had white sheet Styrofoam that was water logged. Replaced it with sheet foam insulation. TG for no pored foam! Keep up the good work!

Just looked at the photos is that gal bare or is that silver paint?

I must have been thinking of something else. Maybe the unsinkable regulation or something. Great, now my obsessive compulsion is kicking in. I will have to go launch, pull my drain plug and see if it sinks.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

My last Glasply 19 ft Hard top with a 120 mercruser would top out at 37-40 MPH. If tuned and normal load of just me and gear. A lot heaver than a 19 Aluminum so I would not dispute the 35-40 plus you were told it would go.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get 37 mph on GPS with my 18' Starchief with a 21 pitch prop on a 120 Mercruiser. Got 35 mph with the original 19 pitch prop that came on it.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I must have been thinking of something else. Maybe the unsinkable regulation or something. Great, now my obsessive compulsion is kicking in. I will have to go launch, pull my drain plug and see if it sinks.
GLUBGLUB! I still have my dive gear call if you go down:rolleyes:

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to tinker a little bit with my boat this weekend but we got a "little" bit of snow.

Went from green grass to This in a 48 hour period.

Thought I would share a pic or two. lol :)

Attachments

• DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00692.jpg
    DSC00692.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00693.jpg
    DSC00693.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

I was going to tinker a little bit with my boat this weekend but we got a "little" bit of snow.

Went from green grass to This in a 48 hour period.

Thought I would share a pic or two. lol :)

I hate it when the dish gets full of snow!:mad:

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Now thats a cool tool truck. Wow are you lucky or what.????

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now thats a cool tool truck. Wow are you lucky or what.????

I only used that picture because i thought it showed the best the amount of snow that has fallen.

The other picture is of our off-road truck. In case you couldnt make it out. lol

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Glad I don't live there. My back hurts just looking at all that snow.
GLG

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a very well written post asking a question about kicker motors but when I attempted to attach a picture it all disappeared and I still have no idea how to post a picture.
So you will have to do with the rehashed jibberish that follows. lol

I have a 9.9 Johnson OB of about the same vintage as my Cheiftain that I was thinking about using as a kicker motor.
There is an aluminum bar/bracket on the starboard side of the stern that I was wondering if its original purpose may have been for a kicker motor.
Any insight as to its purpose would be great.
Also if its not how would I go about attaching this 9.9? Controls etc.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00691.jpg
    DSC00691.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

71091_2_2.jpg

Don?t know what that strip was for but if you want to add a kicker motor you need something like this. You need to size the bracket for the motor weight you are using.
If it?s too small you may find that the motor will fall off out in the water or on the freeway. Either way not a good thing. You can get a tie bar that links the leg to the kicker and that will steer the kicker from the helm. The controls can be run from where ever you mount them. I use a Honda 8hp tiller and have an extension tiller handle that works for me. I also made a bracket and a bar that ties the leg to the kicker. I can steer from the helm or the back of the boat..
GLG

Check out this link
http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Jack-P...7293621--**********.206811858--view_id.217141

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a guess about the bar, May by the PO attached a "transom mounted transducer" thus not having to drill holes into the transom below the water line :confused:

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

First day since the winter so suddenly set in I have really had a chance to fool with the boat.
Put some ATF in the cylinders last weekend.
This weekend I rotated it by hand first then hooked up the battery and gave her a crank.
Motor turns over and produces spark from the coil.
Tilt works too.
Next weekend I will hook up the ear muffs and run some water to it.
Then its on to the accessories. Probably have to rewire those as the switch panel looks kinda pooched.
One question.
Does the lower unit have a water pump impeller? I see one on the engine block as well. Does it have two pumps?
Thanks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great to see this thread pop up again!

Yah, you've got an impeller in your outdrive. Not so sure about what you are seeing on your engine block?

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great to see this thread pop up again!

Yah, you've got an impeller in your outdrive. Not so sure about what you are seeing on your engine block?

I was talking to one of my customers who is a marine mechanic and he told me its a "circulation pump".
It sits where the water pump on an automotive engine would be.

I have heard it a good idea to change the impeller once a year. This boat has also sat for year or two.
Since my last boat blew a head gasket due to overheating I am going to change the impeller before heading out this season.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay here are some of the many "stupid" questions I am going to ask.
The wiring in this boat is a mess so I am planning to do a rip and tear on Saturday.
There is a switch panel beside the guages with 6 switches that do nothing.
Thats the first to go.
The only electrical devices I can imagine the boat really has or needs are the nav lights, the bilge pump and the blower. Other than the ignition system which so far seems to working fine so I am not going to mess with that.

First question.

Does the blower for the engine compartment need to run all the time the boat in is operation or just for a breif period of time before startup?

Second question.
The boat has two bilge pump which I plan on replacing. Does one have power all the time to allow it to come on while unattended? The other on a manual switch?

More quality questions to follow :facepalm: lol

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.