whats the best service manual

mikegj

Seaman Apprentice
what service manual do you recommend SELOC or CLYMER ? paper or CD

JRJ

Commander
Re: whats the best service manual

A factory manual has been the best for me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the Factory service manual, seloc is used to keep your knees clean, when changing lower unit oil, the clymer is used to catch the dripping oil off the lower unit, and keep the driveway clean.

mikegj

Seaman Apprentice

OEM not available for my engine. Ken cook cant even get one.
if anyone has an oem I'll buy it 1980 johnson 115 J115TLCSA

Last edited:

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

It's amazing the posts I read that show how little good information the Clymer and Seloc manuals give. So many people indicate that certain things are not covered in these manuals. That has prompted me to order the factory manual for the Yamaha 150 on the newer boat I bought.
Just missed a factory Yamaha manual on ebay for $18.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

the Factory service manual, seloc is used to keep your knees clean, when changing lower unit oil, the clymer is used to catch the dripping oil off the lower unit, and keep the driveway clean.

That pretty much sums it up !!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are correct that Ken Cook, does not have it, you may find a used one on ebay. next best thing is the seloc.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Thanks TD

I was just a few clicks away from buying the Clymer manual (some old rags and a bucket are cheaper:)) and now realize if I can't get the service manual for my 115 HP Johnson 2 stroke, Seloc is the next best thing.

I think I'll get the Seloc and continue to look for the factory manuals on ebay

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Right, wrong, or indifferent, either of those manuals is better than no manual at all.

mikegj

Seaman Apprentice

is anyone using the online version of the seloc manual? is it better than the paper one?

Dunaruna

Admiral

The online version has exactly the same content as the hard copy version but being in PDF format it is not ideal for real time reference. You need to take the computer out to the boat or bring the boat to the computer - PITA.

ebry710

Ensign

I bought a Johnson Service Manual on CD. I don't use it. I then bought a Johnson Service Manual. I can use it on the boats where is counts. I can place book makers, flip easily to sections and stuff iboats tips in locations where they count.
I also have a Johnson Parts Catalog. Nice for seeing engine breakdowns.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I thought the purpuse of the manuals on CD was to be able to print out the pages needed for the task to be done. If you mess up the pages with grease and oil who cares, print more :D even use pages to wipe your hands when done.:cool: There is still nothing like a hard copy though.

Moody Blue

Captain

I would rate the Seloc manuals as the worst I've encountered, at least from the two I've owned (bought one, got the other with a motor I purchased). Would never waste my money on another.

The Clymers manual (to replace the Seloc I bought) was MUCH better.

Here is my take on the two;

Seloc - poorly organized, far too generic in nature, difficult to follow, poor or few illustrations.

Clymers - very good layout and organization. Much more model specific than Seloc. Easy to follow and understand with excellent illustrations.

If in doubt go to your local library and see if they have either available. Take a look thru them and determine for yourself which you like better.