1964 Evinrude 75HP overheating help please

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: 1964 Evinrude 75HP overheating help please

oh, be sure to torque the head bolts in the proper sequence per the oem spec's good luck

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That site was no luck. They only give a parts number book you can buy for it since its so old. Does anyone else know where to look for part numbers for a 1964. I found the head gaskets and the two other gaskets I believe but I want to get a whole water pump rebuild kit and a vernatherm also. Local they want like $50 for the vernatherm but all the ones I found online are tops $24. Please let me know.

Also how do I check to make sure the temp alarm things are working so I can replace them if they are bad and also how do they work so I can hook them up to a light or to a horn. Please let me know. Thanks
Steve

xtraham

Lieutenant

try this one boatpartstore.com

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am almost thinking the rebuild kit for the water pump isn't avaliable anymore.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The water pump kit is part number 0379776
th_P8010019.jpg

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow cheapest I can find it for is $70. I am going to go buy the heat sticks and see if its overheating in a can before I spend the extra $70. Its 100 outside today so today would be a good test if I can get everything put back together. The bottom plate of the water pump was changed 2-3 years ago. Also could that sand of been in there for a number of years? I don't know anywhere I would of got sand in it. I put in where its 15' deep and don't go below 12' deep.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also do you guys think the overheating was caused by a blown head gasket or the over heating caused the blown head gasket?

xtraham

Lieutenant

I would replace the pump it should be done at least every two years it's very cheap insurance, and yes an over heating problem will blow head gaskets at the very least.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am starting to get upset. I replaced the head gaskets and water jacket gaskets and tested it tonight to find out its doing 100% the same thing. I only have the push up compression tester but it seems like all heads lost a small amount of compression now and the top right one is STILL looks like it is blowing exhost out the water passage and the top cyl is about 75 while the others are saying 90 now. Also the left side stays cool while the right side gets hot really fast. I looked in the book and did the bolts in the order it said. I did them to 15. is that right? Also should I of went back around and tighten them all again once I ran through them the first time? Please let me know. Thanks
Steve

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also if it was the water pump why would one side look right and stay cool while the other side heats up really fast and looks like air is mixxed with the water? Please let me know asap. Thanks
Steve

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I compression tested the motor with a screw in compression tester after decarbing the motor. Man can't believe how much smoke came out of that thing. Now I got 90psi in the cyl that had 60psi and 100 in all the other cly. Also now water is mostly coming out of the right side but it is still getting alot hotter than the other side. Do you think its normal for one side to get hotter than the other. It also seems like more water gets through the left side that stays cooler than the otherone with no therm or anthing in the vernatherm housing.

So left side is staying cool and has 100 psi.

Right side is still getting alot hotter than the other side and has 90psi in one and 100psi in the other. Idles good. Still but has a backfire issue it seems like where it will be idle good then you get a bigger bubble in the water exhost like it is backfiring or something.

I also noticed today that the carb is leaking somewhere. When you pump the ball you can hear it spaying somewhere and linking out all down the intake and the carb coming from the top half of the carb. Could that be causing any overheating?

Please let me know. Thanks
Steve.

xtraham

Lieutenant

ok steve, what size are your head bolts, I think they need more torque than 15#'s I personaly run around the head 3 times checking then retorque after 1st warm up then again after about 10 hours of service, sounds like you are still getting combustion in cooling system maybe a hole in the exhaust chamber somewhere could have been that piece of metal you found. did you back flush the engine? have you pulled the lower unit to look at the water pump it may not be strong enough to circulate, I strongly recommend replacing it before you move on, also you need to get carb. kits and soak clean and blow out carbs w/compressed air, but study your manual first to see where exhaust can possibly mix with the water jacket and make sure there are no holes through anywhere,before you do anything, maybe someone that has had this happen to them will chime in and help us out.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The head bolts are 1/2". I looked in the manual but it is blank on the torque for the 75hp. The one right above it was 15# so thats what I did them all at. I will go around and check them. Did anyone see the videos I posted? If so I can post new ones now with it decarbed and new head gaskets. It doesn't look like exhaust is coming from the water hole as much or at all now and looks like alot more water is coming out but still heating more than the other side and still doesn't look like as much water as the other side.

I don't know what backflush means? Before I removed the head I took the hose and put full pressure in the outlet hole and it came out the other side full force. Also did the same thing to the other side and full for came out the problem side.

The manual I got doesn't seem to show the water path anywhere besides in the heads themself. Anyone know where the exhaust could mix? Thanks everyone for all the help. What about the compression. Is it still ok or is it something I shouldn't be putting money into?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It is not clear if you followed R. Johnson's lead on the exhaust cover or not. With good cylinder head gaskets, you should check the exhaust (heat exchanger) gaskets next.

The fuel leak is probably from a float valve that is stuck open.

xtraham

Lieutenant

tightening torque specs. this is bolt diameter not the bolt head size.

1/4" 5-7 ft lb
5/16" 10-12 ft lb
3/8" 18-20 ft lb
7/16" 28-30 ft lb
I would remove the exhaust cover and check inside and the gaskets also.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this is prob a stupid question but is the cover between the two cyl? the big square one? I will pull it tonight if so and check it out. I am at work without my manual.

xtraham

Lieutenant

yes thats it. good luck