1963 Gale 5hp Cross To Jonnyrude

Z-man17

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
4
I just got a 1963 Gale 5 hp outboard model # GG18801A. I understand it is essentially the same as an Evinrude / Johnson - perhaps their 5.5 HP models of that year. To find parts, I'd like to know the Evinrude or Johnson model number that corresponds to my Gale. OR - if someone knows off the top of their heads - could you provide the coil, points and impeller #'s? How about a gasket set for the lower when I replace the impeller? I know I'm asking a lot - all help sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!
 

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
5,556
Re: 1963 Gale 5hp Cross To Jonnyrude

On that model, the powerheads would be a bit different, but everything below that would be the same as any J/E of that year. I had a 5 hp Gale that year once the cylinder set up was a bit different. As I recall, they were set up like the Mercs. They had one piece cylinders with water jacket covers, instead of detachable heads. Quite a strange set up for an OMC product, but they ran good.:cool:
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: 1963 Gale 5hp Cross To Jonnyrude

Adding to the previous correct reply, most of the ignition and carburetor and pump parts are the same as an Evinrude or Johnson. Lists of parts are here at iboats Marine Store. Just pretend it says Evinrude instead of Gale.
 

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
195
Re: 1963 Gale 5hp Cross To Jonnyrude

It's hard to say specifically what years will work and I haven't seen a cross-over/conversion chart for gale to OMC parts. I'd estimate that many of the lower unit parts and tiller and coils from the 1954-1959 omc 5.5 parts would fit. Also there were tons of gales/off brand omc's made so parts are available.

to change the impeller, you'll have to unbolt the foot and the head, maybe 11 or 12 bolts in all, some of them under the head are a pain. after the head is off, unscrew the 2 nuts holding the shift lever and save the 2 bolts and lock washer. also save the drive shaft washer assembly, and be sure to remember the order in which they go on the shaft. with the sift rod free and the shaft clear, unbolt the 4 bolts on the foot and wiggle is down. replace your impeller and you're good to go.

Get an omc manual for the how to's and start a search for an old gale parts book. I might have one. part numbers will be diff, but will likely be the same.
 

Z-man17

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
4
Re: 1963 Gale 5hp Cross To Jonnyrude

Thank you for the VERY good info. 2 quick questions. I read (perhaps on this site) that The Gale's were the same as an Evinrude of a 2 year earlier vintage - such that a 63 Gale was the same as a 61 Evinrude - any truth to that? Secondly - Could someone please give me the model number for a 5 (or was it a 5.5) HP 1963 (or do I need a '61) Evinrude. With that number I can easily find my Gale parts without confusing my local parts guy. No problem asking for Evinrude parts by model number (except that I don't HAVE a '63 5hp model number) but a bigger problem if I ask for '63 Gale 5hp parts. The year I really need to be looking for and the model # for the Evinrude 5 hp of that year is what I really need. Thanks again for all the help.
 
Top