1962 Sea King 5HP info please

jdbwvd

Cadet
Hello all,

I have acquired a Sea King five, GG18736D.. I have placed this as a 1962 OMC Gale. Correct? It was my grandpa's from new, and has about 20 hours on it as he says. He had it overhauled it at an OMC dealer in 1994. From looking in the points window, we have new coils, points, condensers.

I don't have the manual though. My experience is with a 1955 evinrude 7.5... Is this carb the same as for a 1962 J/E 5.5HP? I'm looking for needle settings for the carb (it has these goofy linkages to adjustment knobs placed lower than the carb.) It has a fuel pump and one-line tank, which is new for me. I don't see a filter bowl under the carb... where is the filtering/straining occuring? Should I add a filter?

The lower unit looks like a J/E unit... If need be, can I use impeller/gearcase parts from the 1962 J/E 5.5's? How about lower unit lube? Hypoid OK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I believe this motor has lots of life in it, but I don't want to do something wrong and ruin that.

Thanks all,
Jonathan

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1962 Sea King 5HP info please

Pretty similar to your 55 Fleetwin, but some differences too. I'd get a manual from Ken Cook or some other source...just to be exact in tuning/maintenance, etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are correct, it is a 1962, made by Gale Products/OMC

The motor is very similar to it's Evinrude and Johnson cousins, but there are some differences with the powerhead. E/J procedures are all the same. About 3/4 turn on high speed and 1 1/2 turn on slow speed for a beginning point.

There is a strainer screen on the tank pickup tube bottom end, and a screen on the large hose fitting on the fuel pump. Remove the fitting to see it.

The lower units are the same. Hypoid is just fine.

They are fine little motors. You'll enjoy it.

jdbwvd

Cadet

Thanks for the reply fellas. I forgot to ask... 24:1 oil/fuel mix? That seems to be what I'm finding.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yup; 24:1 with TCW3 rated oil.Don't try to skimp.

jdbwvd

Cadet

Wouldn't dream of it... I know first hand what can happen when plain bearings are starved. :)