1961 Lonestar Rebuild

Mike1636

Recruit
I inherited a boat from my grandfather and it needs a new floor. Not really sure where to begin with it. I don't want to cut through something I shouldn't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Lonestar Rebuild

I have her little sister. As far as your rebuild goes, what do you know about her? Has she been maintained well? Stored inside or out? When was she last used? Is the Deck solid or are there soft spots? How about the transom? Solid or does it have some Flex in it? We need some more details so we can give you some educated guidance.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lonestar Bar Harbor... To say I am jealous would be an understatement!!

An original Ad for the boat can be found here-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/e/e5/Lonestara61001.jpg

Check out the forums on that site, too- LOADS of help with vintage glass.

That is one sweet ride. And- That's a Super Gator trailer she's sitting on, too- VERY sought after, hard to find... Those fenders are what make it 'super'....

If the floor is soft, figure on stringers, too. Probably a Transom. I've never seen that particular boat, but if its built anything like the other cruisers of the era, you're PROBABLY going to have to remove the cap/cabin to get to the floor properly. It's a chore, but there usually isn't a way around it.

Treat her well- And do it right- She's worth it....

-Andrew

Mike1636

Recruit

the transom seems ok. The floor feels really spongy though. Inside the cabin is pretty solid

Mike1636

Recruit

Well I need new tires. The only discernible markings on the old ones say 6.90/6.00-9 Anyone have any ideas on where I could check out? I began looking online but haven't turned very much up.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is a Gator 400 or 500 series trailer- Looks like a 400 from the pics, though I can't tell for sure. There was, at one time, an info plate on the trailer that will give the model #.

I have a copy of the 1962 or so Gator catalog, I posted copies here- http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Gator

It specifies the tires are 6" x 9, for both trailer models. I think it's an outdated size, though. My Gator used an oddball size, too. But- I brought the rim in to a tire store and they found one that fit, it's a car tire, but it did the job just fine.