1961 75hp carb float

03vrod

Seaman Apprentice
Started restoring a 1961 cherokee with a 75hp seahorse,I am going through the engine while waiting on epoxy.I found everything I've needed at the iboat store except the carb float.I would like to replace it while I have it all tore down.Still has a cork float in it.So does anyone know where I can find a new float? Thanks

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1961 75hp carb float

I'm sure someone knows where to get them, but worst case is you might make your own, its just a float that needs to be impervious to gas/ethanol.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I did some poking around and could not find one. I know of two options. First you could go to a dealer and have them check for you. They have access to vintage parts and can get them for you, however it may end up being another cork float. The other option, if yours is in good condition is to recoat it. I have just picked up some fuel proof dope that is used on model airplanes to recoat mine (a 52 Johnson). I had tired epoxy and was impatient putting it back in before it was completely cured. It flaked off and clogged up the carb. So now I need to sand it down and coat it correctly. The last option if yours is shot is to get some balsa wood carve a new one and coat it up. Someone else may post up with a source, but at least you now have a few other options.

a70eliminator

Captain

My wife had one of those docorative jars full of spegetti sitting up on the counter, it had a big cork in the top, I shaped it with a hacksaw blade it worked perfect. My wife still hasn't noticed the missing cork.

03vrod

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the ideas,.I'm trying to get over the shock of 50 dollars for a couple of gaskets and o-rings.I'm a diesel mech.I used to pay 10 to 15 for a kit and that included the float.I guess I'm getting old.Thanks again ,I'll post results when I get it all back together.

Bruck

Recruit

They come up on ebay all the time. The old float should be fine if not damaged