1959 Starcraft 16' Super Constellation - Winner 2016 Starmada SOTY Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That wood your looking at may be ash, most often it is. It looks almost identical to oak, but it bends much much better. A lot of people can tell the difference.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man I can't wait to see pics of the ole gal out on the waves turning some heads.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks great,

Glad Peter was able to provide the Evinrude logos

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just saw this thread, it's so inspiring! My '75 Starcraft SS needs about 20,000 tiny projects, but the weather here in ATL has been so nice, I've been putting them off to putt around the lake instead. GREAT WORK! You're in the home stretch. I'll be paying attention from now on.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Just saw this thread, it's so inspiring! My '75 Starcraft SS needs about 20,000 tiny projects, but the weather here in ATL has been so nice, I've been putting them off to putt around the lake instead. GREAT WORK! You're in the home stretch. I'll be paying attention from now on.

Thanks all! DJ, you've got it right-- your out on the water!! . I'm really trying to get her wrapped up for a splash, but all my work is kicking my +++! and our 30th anniversary is next week!! The Admiral has put up with a lot of dragged in treasures over the decades so she deserves some quality time:juggle:

All the best,
Dale

jbcurt00

Staff member
How about combining the splash AND the 30th..... Both are often accompanied by champagne, there's 2 of you, so bring 2 bottles ;)

straws optional

yeah, unless it was to a floating 5star restaurant, my Admiral might not appreciate the combined effort either :watermelon:

good luck

ssdale

Hello again to all! Well yesterday was the day that I reassembled the 1960 Lark II and assembled all of the used harness, switch, starter box etc. and tried to start.
Had previously:
checked the compression-135 each cylinder
checked for spark-Yes but cannot say exceedingly hot.
changed out the lower unit oil although the old looked really good.
changed out the impeller. I don't think the one I removed had ever seen water because of the presence of grease etc..

Anyway, long story short, after several hours of struggling because the battery that I thought was good was not-THEN buying a new battery that they said was ready to go, only to find out it was only at 25% therefore cementing our thoughts that something was wrong with the harness, switch, starter, and every wire in between.!!
The good news it was none of those things-just a weak battery BOTH times, but it forced us to vigorously clean each and every connection!

Now it cranks like crazy-but will not hit a lick -even with starter fluid squirted directly into the carb. I have not torn apart the carb yet thinking I would it would at least hit with starter fluid.
I know this is not the correct forum for motor issues but wanted to post here to say that I am still trying to Splash in 2015.
All the best,
Dale

ssdale

Well today was finally the day! I got out the whole rig and my son and I barrel tested the Lark. To our amazement she popped right off! I killed it a few times trying to adjust the carb, but we let her run until the automatic choke took over and the thermostat opened up so we could watch her pump some water. New water pump, carb kit, fuel lines, and the entire ignition system

Thanks to this forum and especially a few of you guys over at the Evinrude forum who did not give up on me, I have a running machine!. All I have is a still shot of her running in the barrel. But here it is.http://
Now onward and upward finishing up the wiring details and some paint touch up and we are off to the Gasconade River http:// to give her a splash-hopefully in the next few weeks.

I know it has been a LOOOOOONG road to get to this point. I can't say enough how much help and motivation that this forum has provided over the years of this project. I hope these posts help others to not give up on their projects. I will post until we SPLASH.
Thanks,
Dale

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
She looks amazing Dale! You did some great work on the old gal, looking forward to the upcoming splash :thumb:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Incredible job! I love how you took your time and scrutinized every detail to produce something better-than-factory.

When you do splash, please install a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] video recording device on the port-side gunwale facing-out…...so that you can record the passer-by reactions (and them mouthing the word “Wow!") With a 40 pushing that thing, they won’t be in view very long! :D

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
CC said:
When you do splash, please install a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] video recording device on the port-side gunwale facing-out…...so that you can record the passer-by reactions (and them mouthing the word “Wow!") With a 40 pushing that thing, they won’t be in view very long! :D

I think it should be on the SB side facing in so we can see the grin.

And just because I love the side by side I'll do it

Good luck on the splash. Definitely worth the time and effort. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ssdale

Finally through the busiest of farming seasons and trying to get her ready for a splash. Finished up the controls. Just need to get the wiring done and the cables hooked up for a Gasconade River test!http://

ssdale

Heres the before.. The new 1960 starter box decal was replicated from my old one and is NOW available at NY Marine. Thanks JB for pointing me in the right direction. I sent him a photo and a few dimensions Peter did a great job ofhttp:// duplicating.

ssdale

Had a lot of fun last month when my wife and I entered our 1963 Thunderbird and 1965 Cherokee, 1965 Mercury 500 in the local Maifest parade. It was a lot of fun throwing candy and hearing everyones response to the retro duo. I know its off topic, but just wanted to share. 1st place BTW! This is my excuse for not getting the Starcraft done.http://

Last edited:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Super Awesome Dale! The boat really looks nice! Great project.....and of course the T-Bird/Cherokee combo is off the charts!

Frey

Tnstratofam

Commander
Had a lot of fun last month when my wife and I entered our 1963 Thunderbird and 1965 Cherokee, 1965 Mercury 500 in the local Maifest parade. It was a lot of fun throwing candy and hearing everyones response to the retro duo. I know its off topic, but just wanted to share. 1st place BTW! This is my excuse for not getting the Starcraft done.http://

Wow now that's an awesome combo. :encouragement:

Status
Not open for further replies.