1959 evinrude 50hp motor trouble.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1959 evinrude 50hp motor trouble.

I actually found out after I bought the boat that it originally came equipped with a 40hp maximum. The 50 is bigger than is recommended. That makes me a little nervous too. I'm hoping it will be fine if I just take it a little easy.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 50 is 210 lbs. light by todays standards. But 67 lbs heavier than the 40.
The 50 develops its hp at 4000 rpm. rated at 4000--5000 rpm. The 40 gets its hp at 4500. and rated at 4000-5000 rpm.
gear ratio of the 50 is 1.70 the 40 is 1.75.
In the 59 catalog the 50 is rated at 35 mph the the 40 is rated at 33 mph.in its first year of production 1960.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

No doubt the 50 will push more weight though 1.70 ratio might struggle slightly with weight.
No doubt the 50 would struggle to make 5000 with the 14" prop needed to make close to its 35 mph rating.
Less of a struggle with the 40 with a 1.75 ratio and only 500 over its hp rating but the 13.25 prop nets about 32.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Erik, I never got any more than about 28MPH from my fatty. This was before GPS was invented, so it is just a guess. I previously had a 35HP Big Twin, and that pushed the same boat slower, say 24MPH. The Fatty had lots more power for waterskiing than the Twin.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Erik, I never got any more than about 28MPH from my fatty. This was before GPS was invented, so it is just a guess. I previously had a 35HP Big Twin, and that pushed the same boat slower, say 24MPH. The Fatty had lots more power for waterskiing than the Twin.
These numbers are closer to the real world.
The numbers I was using were those claimed in the 59 catalog.The 40 hp were from the 60 catalog as there was only a 35 in 59.
The only "fatty" I saw approaching those speeds was a 60 gale on a 15 ft Reveau racing boat. That "fatty" at 5000 rpm had a sweet sound!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Erik,
I have the same motor. The timing was a bitt of a challenge, but I downloaded a manual, and step by step instruction are there. Good luck, I have some youtube links and a bunch of good info in my string. Post some more pix!
Dave

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will post some pics soon. Work has been busy and with daylight saving time, it gets dark so darn quick. I did put the water pump back together tonight and put the bottom end back on the motor. I'm hoping to get off early enough tomorrow to mess with the timing. By the way Dave. I'm assuming that you have done the impeller on yours before. When I took it apart, I noticed that there is a second housing bolted to the top of the water pump housing. It looked incomplete. I looked up the parts schematic and noticed a foam or felt ring that wasn't there on mine. I found one and I believe it's just an oil slinger. When I was puting everything back together, it just didn't seem to go anywhere. Do you know if that thing goes inside that housing or where it goes and how important is it. I left it out for now because it just didn't seem right.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not really interested in going too fast in this boat. My main goal right now is fishing, but the boat only weighs about 400 lbs. Add two people, a battery and full tank of gas and I'm still only going to be at like around 1100 lbs with motor and gear. I guess a lot of it will depend on how well I can make it run. :)

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Erik,
I have the same motor. The timing was a bitt of a challenge, but I downloaded a manual, and step by step instruction are there. Good luck, I have some youtube links and a bunch of good info in my string. Post some more pix!
Dave

I just finished reading your thread about your fat fifty. A lot of good info. I think that with all the reading and knowledge between the two of us, we could probably rebuild one of these from top to bottom. lol. I posted in your thread about the downloadable manual, but I forgot that you had said you already found it. It's been a life saver to me so far. I also watched your youtube videos of your motor running. I think you are a few steps ahead of me. Mine was overheating and smoking like crazy. Hopefully next test will be this weekend after I re-set the timing.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, wait..... If you & 59 are gonna be Fat50 gurus, let me introduce you to your 1st official rebuild:
My Fat50:
IMAG0791_zpsa5146835.jpg

Thanks! You guys are aces :watermelon:

The weather is turning against me working outside here in WV, and the Duracraft will have to get bundled up in it's winter wrap.

So the Fat50 will be getting my all my attention here soon. Lots of parts on hand already, so we'll see how it goes.

Nice work so far, thanks for all the good info & pix.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, wait..... If you & 59 are gonna be Fat50 gurus, let me introduce you to your 1st official rebuild:
My Fat50:
IMAG0791_zpsa5146835.jpg

Thanks! You guys are aces :watermelon:

The weather is turning against me working outside here in WV, and the Duracraft will have to get bundled up in it's winter wrap.

So the Fat50 will be getting my all my attention here soon. Lots of parts on hand already, so we'll see how it goes.

Nice work so far, thanks for all the good info & pix.

Hey jbcurt... Maybe we need a fat fifty club. lol. I'm starting to love this motor almost as much as it drives me crazy. lol. With these classics, pictures help. I would have almost paid for pictures of different things when I first started working on it. There aren't many references to these motors since they only made them for 2 years. If you ever need pics of something for comparison, let me know.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tomorrow I hope to time my motor and install the new fuel filter and gasket. 2013-11-13_20.49.22.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good luck timing it. I hope you don't need it.

Between the original motor on the boat, a complete (motor only, no wiring harness or control box) parts motor, a spare cowl and a few collected spare parts, I think I have a pretty good shot at getting a Fat50 burning thru many gallons of mix gas at some point....

Are you using a V4S-10 Fat50 specific service manual, or the V4's combined hp & model year service manual?

Been a good long while, but I liked Sacramento when I could get over there from NorCal to visit my sister.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm using a combination year and hp downloaded manual. I thought I had the timing figured out until I found out, thanks to some great eyes here, that the magneto and mount are off of a 75 hp model. This might be a little tricky, but I think I have a good idea now. I've already set the points once with an ohm meter, but I have the belt off. I think if I set the belt right, then I should be pretty close. I'm not so sure about the sync and link (I think that's the term I've heard. lol) now though. I'll have to work through the differences between the 50 and the 75 hp models.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

A Fat 50 club, cool. My motor is spitting out plenty of water, the guy just before me replaced everything down there. Make sure you catch some water coming out of the exhuast hole and it should be around 140 degrees. The barrel of water needs to be as high as my video has it. The timing is a bit above my expertise level, but I also think with everyone's help I was able to get it running. But it still needs to be tweaked. The fuel jets also must be set which is in the manual as well. Fun stuff. BTW I've only had mine since April this year.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK guys start a club or website or something. I think we would all benefit, and possibly create some interest. We would get more of a feel for how many there are out there, and potentially increase the value. I had an old printing stone that everyone kept telling me was wayyyy overpriced. But after a year on ebay I sold it for what I wanted. The moral of the story is, don't listen to people who just want to buy it cheep.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Fat 50 club, cool. My motor is spitting out plenty of water, the guy just before me replaced everything down there. Make sure you catch some water coming out of the exhuast hole and it should be around 140 degrees. The barrel of water needs to be as high as my video has it. The timing is a bit above my expertise level, but I also think with everyone's help I was able to get it running. But it still needs to be tweaked. The fuel jets also must be set which is in the manual as well. Fun stuff. BTW I've only had mine since April this year.
The guy I bought mine from in September said that he did all kinds of stuff, including water pump and gear case oil. I took out the water pump and the impeller didn't look like it had been replaced, although it looked ok. I did that because when I tank tested it, I was getting no water thru the motor. I think it was just because my tank wasn't deep enough. Eventually I want to design a flusher for this motor. I know they used to sell one. I also just checked the gear oil and it turns out the old owner lied about that too. The gaskets on the plugs are bad and there is no oil in it. Next on my list.

But I did just re-do the timing (with help of so many people here) and I also synced the linkage. It was WAY off. Just put in new Champion J6C plugs (gapped at .030) replacing the overly hot j8c that were in it. I also put in my new fuel filter and bowl gasket to replace the plugged filter that was turned upside down inside the bowl. Oh, and set the low speed jets to 1 1/2 turns out from seat to start with.

I'm getting closer and I'm getting anxious to get it in the water for the first time.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Subscribe!

I've go a 1958 Evinrude fat fifty in the garage on my bucket list.

If you need any pictures or info for reference, let me know. I know that was my biggest difficulty in the beginning of this, and even now, is that there is very little info that I can find about these. This forum and iboats.com has been my best friend. I can't thank all of these guys enough!

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We may not have a club, but apparently there is an interest. I know that I'm keeping each of you in my contacts. Bwahahaha. If you get a strange pm sometime asking off the wall questions, I apologize in advance. lol.