1959 Bell Boy Transom and stringer replacement bow full of styrofoam new to this

1959 Bell Boy Transom and stringer replacement bow full of styrofoam new to this

• How to glass a transom in outboard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How to install a transom

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Oakland

Cadet
Hello ok I bought a 1959 Bell boy that needs a total restoration including the transom. I have lots of questions but will start out with just a few. So far I have removed the rub rail wood all rotted with rubber on outside noticed there's nuts and bolts about every 5" this is holding the top of the boat on I think. I took the transom out rotted wood and started cutting stringers out. This is a closed bow 16' ok so I left the fiberglass in tac its only about 1/4 and noticed its separated in one place about five inches on the top of the transom and has a little bow were the motor was on I'm thinking I can put some new plywood and clamp the 1/4 " fiberglass to the new transom then run new stringers to the new transom. Anyway any advise will help as I've never done this before. Not sure how to replace the rub rail
I'm thinking I will have to take the whole boat apart to paint. So many questions. Thanks so much!!
Not sure how to add pics as this is my first post.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1959 Bell Boy Transom and stringer replacement bow full of styrofoam new to this

Separate your posts into sections so that it's easier to follow & answer your questions.

Like I am w/ my reply.

Open a photobucket acct (free) and use that to post your pix.

Pix posting info here:
PHOTO Posting Instructions

Dig in to the threads in the resto section. You'll find lots of good info in most of them. Most fiberglass boats are largely built the same way across various decades & manufacturers, so what you'll find as you take yours apart will be similar &/or resemble what others have done.

Lots of good stuff in Don's helpful how to thread as well (that's were the photo posting thread is located):
How To's and Other Great Information

Make sure you fully support the hull BEFORE you tear out all of it's support structure (deck, transom & stringers), often the trailer alone is not enough.

A lot of work ahead, be sure to work safely & wear all the proper protective gear

Welcome to iboats & I look forward to seeing pix of your Bellboy. Neat little cabin cruisers. Your's is a 16ft'r?

Oakland

Cadet
Re: 1959 Bell Boy Transom and stringer replacement bow full of styrofoam new to this

Oops the boat is just sitting on my trailer already ripped out the strivers should I buy some boat supports? Thanks I've been reading allot and lots to learn for sure.
Separate your posts into sections so that it's easier to follow & answer your questions.

Like I am w/ my reply.

Open a photobucket acct (free) and use that to post your pix.

Pix posting info here:
PHOTO Posting Instructions

Dig in to the threads in the resto section. You'll find lots of good info in most of them. Most fiberglass boats are largely built the same way across various decades & manufacturers, so what you'll find as you take yours apart will be similar &/or resemble what others have done.

Lots of good stuff in Don's helpful how to thread as well (that's were the photo posting thread is located):
How To's and Other Great Information

Make sure you fully support the hull BEFORE you tear out all of it's support structure (deck, transom & stringers), often the trailer alone is not enough.

A lot of work ahead, be sure to work safely & wear all the proper protective gear

Welcome to iboats & I look forward to seeing pix of your Bellboy. Neat little cabin cruisers. Your's is a 16ft'r?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yes, you should support the hull

IF (depending on your philosophy on boat building, a BIG or a small IF) your boat's hull moves or sags while the stringers are out of it, or the hull shifts as you move around in it during demo & early put back, you could permanently lock the hull into a twisted/sagged shape when you put the stringers back in & glass them to the hull.

Not only does this change the shape (affecting the ride, handling, performance) of the hull, but it puts the hull & stringers in tension as the hull attempts to go back to it's original shape, the stringers & glass are preventing it.

Making sure the hull doesn't move & change shape also helps to ensure that you'll be able to get the cap (upper half of the hull, above the rubrail) back on the lower hull when you're ready to put it all back together.

It's equally likely that w/ out stringers, when you put the transom back in (not sure I understood your plan for that in your 1st post, but we'll get to that later) that weight may cause the transom to sag, putting a hook in your hull if the trailer bunks don't extend back to & under the transom, many trailers don't, but should ALWAYS support the transom.

Grossly, here's a hook:
hook2_zps9d23c801.jpg

But on that type of high performance race boat, it is occasionally INTENTIONAL, and a very slight hook, to keep the bow down at speed.

Here's a rubrail, hull & cap joint, yours may be similar or different, again, not sure I understood your description of it above:
RubrailCapHullJoint_zpse05cbb89.jpg

Good luck & you might find some info & pix about your boat here:

Bell Boy

Last edited:

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

level the trailer, then level the boat, then block it up with wood and jack stands to support all the areas that they want. measure everything and take pictures. no matter what it will be better than new. boats are not straight, or plumb, or true. make sure before you do the transom you post pict and ask for help. it needs to be clamped right. there are photos showing how to clamp it. make sure to grind things clean and wash with acetone. most importantly ask for help!!! be warned these guys are going to expect you to do a proper job. wood on glass is one to ask along with yd and ondavar. im missing alot of people there is great help here. there is alot to proper fibreglass work. you need ppe! get it prepped and clean and supported. jimmy

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

imho if you listen to anything listen to protective equipment comments. That $h!t goes everywhere and hangs forever and itches like crazy and is just downright dangerous.

I started my demo a couple months back and decided to cut one piece of fiberglass out of the back of the boat it was just a 10 in cut. I itched the rest of the night and didnt do it again

Anyways these guys will lead you in the right direction there the best out there

best of luck to you

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Posting Pics of your boat will really help us to help you. JBC has given you a lot of good advice so far. These links should also help a lot...

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

Last edited:

Oakland

Cadet

level the trailer, then level the boat, then block it up with wood and jack stands to support all the areas that they want. measure everything and take pictures. no matter what it will be better than new. boats are not straight, or plumb, or true. make sure before you do the transom you post pict and ask for help. it needs to be clamped right. there are photos showing how to clamp it. make sure to grind things clean and wash with acetone. most importantly ask for help!!! be warned these guys are going to expect you to do a proper job. wood on glass is one to ask along with yd and ondavar. im missing alot of people there is great help here. there is alot to proper fibreglass work. you need ppe! get it prepped and clean and supported. jimmy

Thank you for everyone's advise
I'm still trying to post some pics
I work full time so I don't get on here every day, but I sure appreciate everyone's help. Thanks

Oakland

Cadet

Oops the boat is just sitting on my trailer already ripped out the strivers should I buy some boat supports? Thanks I've been reading allot and lots to learn for sure.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Oakland

Cadet

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 2

Oakland

Cadet

image.jpg

Oakland

Cadet

image.jpg

Oakland

Cadet

Just wanted to know how much to grind? The whole floor? And what type of grinding wheel? After reading I left the center stringer in for more support. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Only where you need to grind to expose good glass where ever you need to re-install the stringers, bulkheads & transom...

Often many vintage hulls seem very thin & flexible, so during the rehab, some decide to add a layer of glass to the entire hull prior to putting any of the bulkheads, stringers & transom. That is something only you, your time frame, budget & whether the hull 'needs' it can determine if you should add an entire layer of glass on it all.

Flap wheels or sanding discs that fit your grinder. 24/36/40grit for bulk work....

If you haven't read thru any of the glass boat resto's I STRONGLY suggest you do so. Lots of great info in here, and it will prove helpful to 'see' the demo, prep & glass work of others. Glass boats are all similar enough that you don't need to see Bell Boy work to get relevant info............

If the center stringer is compromised, it may help, but isn't a substitute for a cradle.

Oakland

Cadet

Thanks for the information, I grinned and sanded today 32 grit sanding wheel and used a 5" disk sander got most of it sanded. I still have the center stringer in. I think it's ok to put the transom in now, I just got to know what type of marine plywood? And is 3/4 thick enough or should I put two togather? I've read that some people use PL? Not sure what Pl is but some type of glue I'm sure or should I put resin in between the two pieces of ply wood? Should I use plywood for the stingers? I know the center stringer is a 1 1/2" thick but not the two on each side. Also noticed they are rounder at the top is this suggested to round the top of the new stringers?
Should I glue the stringers and transome in with PL ? Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hi Oakland ! Gunna tag along if it,s ok ..
I would shy away from the pl . It takes a long time to cure and gas off . Some folks had had trouble with there glass layups because. of the off gassing . Most use thickened poly resin aka PB to bed in the stringers . You can use the pl for gluing the 2 transom pieces together if you wish . Just let it dry longer than 72 hours I believe . Just finished installing new transom on our Glassmaster . We used PB aka peanut butter for everything and it went very well .
Good luck SP...

Oakland

Cadet

Ok great sounds like I need to use two pieces of wood to make my transom
I will stay away from PL
How do you make PB? Thanks I've been trying to put more photos in but my moble phone keeps rejecting so ill try my house pc

Oakland

Cadet

photo.jpg

Oakland

Cadet

3.jpg

little piece of wood still left in with lots of filler seems to be solid is it ok to leave in
I think Im ready to install the transom and a few stringers?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Soo... is your Center Keel Stringer Sound and solid and not needing to be replaced? Peanut Butter is our Acronym for Thickened Resin Filler/Glue. You make it by mixing Polyester resin, Cabosil and Chopped milled fibers. You can buy the chopped milled fibers (1/4") or cut up your own pieces from scaps of CSM. You mix it until it's the consistency of Creamy Peanut Butter thus the name. When using it to glue your two pieces of wood together I'd recommend mixing it like Mayonaise so it will spread easier and ensure an even compression when clamping. The thicker mix is best for filleting and setting your stringers and installing the transom to the outer skin of the boat.