1957 Starcraft Ski Champ Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 1957 Starcraft Ski Champ Restoration

Looking good Bret, super nice job on the alum rub rail.......

I just seen a Starcraft on CL here in Vegas, but it was a little 15" with 40hp...bombed out etc...too small....dang starcrafts are tempting me!

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Vegas,

It's a sickness:D Staaarrrrcraffftttt, you must buy a Staaarrrrcraffftttt !!!:cool: Course then you gotta make the pilgrimage to Lake Anna.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Got the transom done, 7 coats of poly spar varnish, and now ready to attach. I made it from 2 pc of true 3/4" thick red oak, laminated with epoxy adhesive. Hopefully it will be good for another 50+ years :D

SkiChampweek17.jpg

sprintst

Commander

That boat is looking great. The custom wood work is your signature :)

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

SHE is Gettin Painted!!!!:D I have a friend of mine who has agreed to paint her. He has a spray booth setup in his barn, and it is finally warm enough! We decided to go with DuPont Imron. I have worked with airplanes painted in this stuff and it is probably one of the most durable paints I have seen. Colors are white and 1950's aqua blue. He got it primed tonight and I went over to get some pics to post.

SkiChampweek19001.jpg

SkiChampweek19002.jpg

SkiChampweek19003.jpg

SkiChampweek19004.jpg

White goes on tomorrow.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

WOW!

I want a friend with a paint booth:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

wrfalpacas,
It's always nice to have friends with items that can help in the restore.
Looks Good.
Bob

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Boat is painted:D But I haven't seen it yet, My friend is out of town for the weekend so I'll have pictures Monday night. In the meantime It was finally time to re-assemble the engine and get her fired up. I added a fuel pump and changed the points, coils, wires. Rebuilt the starter, cleaned the carb and put in a new water pump. She fired right up, so I put the restored cowling in for the first time.
Skichampweek21001.jpg

I managed to find an old solenoid cover for a 56 , so I repainted it and applied a set of 53 year old decals. I think it turned out pretty well. (It will mount on the transom.)
Skichampweek21002.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You do amazing work. Can't wait to see it all together.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

wrfalpacas you workmaship and attention to detail really show on this old girl it will definately be something to show off. like others watching every move you make.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

WOW, this boat is going to be one classy lady! Excellent work buddy!!!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Boat is painted:D But I haven't seen it yet, My friend is out of town for the weekend so I'll have pictures Monday night. In the meantime It was finally time to re-assemble the engine and get her fired up. I added a fuel pump and changed the points, coils, wires. Rebuilt the starter, cleaned the carb and put in a new water pump. She fired right up, so I put the restored cowling in for the first time.
Skichampweek21001.jpg

I managed to find an old solenoid cover for a 56 , so I repainted it and applied a set of 53 year old decals. I think it turned out pretty well. (It will mount on the transom.)
Skichampweek21002.jpg

GREAT GOOGELY MOOOGELY!!!!!!! Vintage Motors Rule! Thats an amazing boat you have!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work Bret, Roslynn's grandpa has the same outboard in storage all dusty waiting to be cleaned up someday. To see one all detailed and gone thru is awesome:D What a gem!

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I got a chance to get some pics of the new paint job. Dave is not satisfied with the bow deck and wants to re paint it, so we are going to give the paint some time to cure. This stuff (Imron) should be some tuff paint once it is fully cured.
Skichampweek21003.jpg

Skichampweek21005.jpg

Skichampweek21007.jpg

Skichampweek21008.jpg

Skichampweek21010.jpg

Skichampweek21012.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! thats really gonna turn some heads tell Dave from where I'm sitting it looks great colors go together well.

Status
Not open for further replies.