1956 Johnson 10 HP QD-17

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Join ------aomci-----Free " wanted ads " and swap meets at your local chapter perhaps.----Often you can pick up a good parts motor for $50 along with $100 worth of free , top notch advice.

klook

Cadet
Nearest chapter is at least 2 1/2 hours away. But there is an older mechanic here, little eccentric, but I trust he knows his stuff. Neat shop....as in interesting shop. Time for a visit!
Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to be a bit of a character to work on older outboards.------And if he will fix yours don't argue if he wants $15.00 / hr.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, it took buying a sliding weight bearing puller for to much $$$ and putting it on the shaft after a week of soaking....but it is off.
Now, is there a simple way to get parts for this motor? I have found a few places with links that take me someplace that does not have parts for this model. Johnson only goes back to the 60's, Sierra is just kit numbers with no indication if they fit, and the Marine one won't let me see anything because of Adobe....problems? Need a guru with the part #'s memorized and the places to buy them.
Home Page (ganotech.com)
Try this guy

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
why not try the folks here at iboats for parts or for info...

Try also Tim's outboard.. I have dealt with them a few times ...good service and $$
Tim's Outboard

to service the motor the Johnson red book is what you need

if you are a member of AOMCI you can access to it

we can't access it from boat.info anymore due to the demise of Adobe flash

Attachments

• boatinfo red book site.PNG
    boatinfo red book site.PNG
    590.3 KB · Views: 0

klook

Cadet
Yes, I could use that service manual.....I ordered coils and a carb kit from wholesale marine but they were out of stock on the points and condensers.... This will get more fun when I retrieve the old Cale I have stashed away in Maine.

klook

Cadet
Got a compression tester today and a flywheel pulley remover. Both worked great. Engine has not been run in at least 25 years. Both cylinders at 70 psi and the flywheel popped right off. Think the coils are still good? I ordered points last night but the ones in there look great.

Attachments

• 20210219_132823[1].jpg
    20210219_132823[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
well you have what is called a probable low hour motor with those nice coils :) time to order new ones. Chineese one are cheap and have worked well for me ...if not is a hurry to get them shipping is free may as well get some new condensers to
1.5 - 40HP Outboard Engines Ignition Coil For OMC Johnson Evinrude 584477 582995 | eBay
70psi is low but will likely come up with some use and decarb product like Merc Power tune
points may need a simple cleaning adjust at .020 on the high side of the cam lobe
run a minimum of 25/1 oil fuel ratio

klook

Cadet
Pulled the carb and split it, it is so clean inside I am putting it back together without rebuilding. Only hang up is I can't get the glass bowl off to clean it up.....soaking in oil now.

klook

Cadet
Its off....Now can anyone tell if the metal filter is supposed to have these in it? there was a brass screen rolled up inside it.

Attachments

• 20210221_163626[1].jpg
    20210221_163626[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
it is suppose to be solid (no holes) ) but that fix ain't so bad... you do not need to worry about the filter being clogged up. just clean the brass screen and reinstall it :)

in retrospect it is a good solution and a lot cheaper than chasing a new filter . It is a solution I will use myself in the future ( some folks just remove the filter and installl a small in-line paper filter on the fuel line feeding the bowl.)

Last edited:

klook

Cadet
I surmised as much....the only dirt I found was in the bowl itself. I always liked the glass bowl filters on the motors. Like the old oil filled air filters....very effective.

lindy46

Captain
Got a compression tester today and a flywheel pulley remover. Both worked great. Engine has not been run in at least 25 years. Both cylinders at 70 psi and the flywheel popped right off. Think the coils are still good? I ordered points last night but the ones in there look great.
Those are original condensers - I would replace them also.

lindy46

Captain
Pulled the carb and split it, it is so clean inside I am putting it back together without rebuilding. Only hang up is I can't get the glass bowl off to clean it up.....soaking in oil now.
I would blow out all passages with spray carb cleaner. Even if it looks clean, they can be clogged.

klook

Cadet
Condensers were ordered before I knew the condition of these.....carb already sprayed out, might get another float, it is the cork one and does not set level with the rim. Seems fragile, and hard to adjust. As in bend the tab...