1956 Johnson 10 HP QD-17

klook

Cadet
I have been trying to get info on this engine. I paid for a download but it was useless. Within reason. The driveshaft stuck in the powerhead when I removed the lower unit, I cannot rebuild the water pump with out getting it out. I removed all the screws from the upper extension tube and got the lower attachment off without to much trouble. Now I cannot get the extension tube to budge. Any lifesaving advice out there?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Common issue with neglected motors.----Make an adapter to clamp on the driveshaft.----Use a slide hammer to pull the shaft out.-----There may be other methods such as a vice along with jacking screws.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
flip it upside down and dribble a release agent down/around the drive shaft

let it soak a few days and retry

klook

Cadet
Thank you, I have been trying the vice grip method and very careful tapping. I did not know if to much impact might damage a bearing. I found those tidbits in a thread about an 18hp which shares some parts with mine. Still want to get the extension tube off to clean things up better. Is it bolted thru the power head?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 10 and 18 HP are a very similar design.-----Very good motors to own if you take the time to learn the basics of maintenance.-----Yes they use more fuel but you do not need $100 / HR dealer support or ignition parts at $250.00 a pop.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple trouble shooting tricks seem to have become extinct I think.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Use, abuse and throw away society does that. The simpler things get the more complicated they become to fix ....and worse Intelligence being a natural resource it is being depleted with the growing world population... :) thankfully we have our oldies to fix up during winter and confinement .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
++++ on the above.-----Folks only know how to push a button to start a vehicle today.------Even use tire pressure and oil monitors.

klook

Cadet
Well, I got the motor apart, but the shaft is stuck tight still. I have it upside down with Kroil soaking in. Now to get the water tube free.....This motor was last run in the early 90's and was running fine when put on the stand in an old shed. I was the last person to use it....before I used it twice, it sat for at least 20 years. Interested to see if it fires up without a coil and carb rebuild.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try the vise grip again, but don't just tap it. Whack it downward up next to the driveshaft.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
give it a wack upwards also ... try to alternate to break the rusty joint surface

klook

Cadet
I have it suspended upside down from a bracket I built. Realized yesterday that there was something down in the joint between the shaft and output piece. It appears to be a washer and I recalled an o-ring from a schematic....cut it out as best I could with a utility blade and put more kroil in it. I have some picks for cleaning guns so I will get in there with that next time. I have a washer that just slides down the shaft and I put a 1/2 inch wrench on top and strike it.......slow and steady, seen to many things ruined from haste and brute force.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well-----Nature does this.-----The spline in the crankshaft is carbon steel.-----Oxygen from atmosphere JOINS with the steel and forms RUST ( iron oxide ) or Feo3 I think.-----So over time this adds material ( oxygen ) and jams it up one molecule at a time.

klook

Cadet
patience brings joy... Chineese proverb

And frustration....I got more of the o-ring out tonight with the guns picks but it still will not budge....more kroil and patience.....

klook

Cadet
Still no go, have started to heat the shaft, have pounded a groove in a 1/2 inch wrench placed on the crankshaft....Don't care if I have to replace the shaft and seal......it wont' come out.....

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hang it upside down from the ceiling, with a furniture pad underneath. Let it be for a couple of days and see if it drops.

klook

Cadet
It has been hanging for more then a few days. Much lower then that however. Still the same gravity......

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You hang it from the ceiling, or whatever, only an inch or two from the floor! Hanging height isn't material. Lube the shaft every day ... try ATF or ATF/acetone 50/50 mix.

klook

Cadet
Well, it took buying a sliding weight bearing puller for to much $$$ and putting it on the shaft after a week of soaking....but it is off.
Now, is there a simple way to get parts for this motor? I have found a few places with links that take me someplace that does not have parts for this model. Johnson only goes back to the 60's, Sierra is just kit numbers with no indication if they fit, and the Marine one won't let me see anything because of Adobe....problems? Need a guru with the part #'s memorized and the places to buy them.