1956 Evinrude 30hp

Catwagon

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks,<br /><br /> I'm going to do my best to order the manual monday am, but in the mean time I'd like to ask a few questions about a motor I just got.<br /><br /> Today I was given a big old electric start Evinrude, model number 25924 which I was told was a 1956 30 horse unit. It came with what I'm guessing to be a 1957 Lark hood. I was also told that it runs ok but the fellow had lost the tank a while back and just wasn't interested in boating anymore anyway.<br /><br /> My silly questions;<br /><br /> Is it a 1956 30hp motor?<br /> Is it a "normal" big twin or maybe a lark?<br /> If I locate a tank and try to start it, what's the fuel ratio this brute will want?<br /> What's the story with the toggle that's in place of the tiller handle? (looks harder to use)<br /><br /> It's a great looking motor even if it is massive and heavy. I had been toying with trying an amateur restoration on an older motor one day and I think this one might serve nicely.<br /><br /> Thanks again folks!,<br /> Steve

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1956 Evinrude 30hp

Steve,<br /><br />Yes its a 1956 30hp<br /><br />Fuel/oil mix should be 24:1, 1qt. TC-W3 oil to 6gal. 87 octane gas.<br /><br />I beleive "big twin" was a slang term given around that time and Lark would be the marketing name kinda like Sea Horse. Could be wrong on that though ;) <br /><br />I can't answer the one on the "toggle" sorry

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

In 1956, Evinrude made a 30 hp in a Big Twin, Big Twin Electric, and Lark. The difference in the first two is obvious by the name. The Lark was only different from the Big Twin Electric in styling and cowl. <br /><br />MCM is quite correct on the fuel mix. However, the original instructions specified 16:1. Later bulletins superseded this mix.<br /><br />I'm not sure what you mean by "toggle".

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

it sounds like yours is set up for remote control ,the "toggle" where the tiller handle goes is prolly the throttle

Catwagon

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the great info so far! (That's why this forum rules)<br /><br /> Scrumbler, it's not really a toggle, but I didn't know what to call it. It's a switch that apparently controls the throttle because it says high low and medium(?) and goes directly to the throttle mechanisim. It's there in place of where a tiller would have been mounted normally.<br /> <br /> Is there a way to tell if this is a Big twin Electric or a Lark from the model number alone (25924)? The hood that's on it is from a '57 so I can't really go by that.<br /><br /> Thanks!<br /> Steve

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I believe these are correct:<br /><br />25022 30 1956 Big Twin short-shaft<br />25023 30 1956 Big Twin long-shaft<br />25526 30 1956 Big Twin Electric short-shaft<br />25527 30 1956 Big Twin Electric long-shaft<br />25924 30 1956 Lark short-shaft<br />25925 30 1956 Lark long-shaft<br /><br />The engine and lower unit on the Lark was charcoal gray. The Big Twins were blue.<br /><br />EDIT: What part of Tenn. are you from. I'm in E. Tenn.

Catwagon

Seaman Apprentice

Mine is gray as well so I think your data is probably right on the mark. Thanks BoatBouy!<br /><br />Steve<br /><br /> Added: I'm in west TN halfway between Memphis and Nashville off I-40.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BoatBouy, Thanks for that info as well :) <br /><br />Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's a great find and will be a great project. i've got a 1955 15hp rude on a early 60's LoneStar open fisherman. found the boat in a field covered in vines. makes me proud when people notice it at the ramp.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Catwagon:<br /> <br /> Scrumbler, it's not really a toggle, but I didn't know what to call it. It's a switch that apparently controls the throttle because it says high low and medium(?) and goes directly to the throttle mechanisim. It's there in place of where a tiller would have been mounted normally.<br /> <br />
if you remove the "toggle" and the mounting plate a tiller handle attatches to the same holes on the motor that the Toggle" assembly does

Catwagon

Seaman Apprentice

I stepped outside and looked and I see what you mean Scrumbler. <br /><br /> I've got another question. Is there a way these old motors can be retrofitted to a modern "one line" fuel system? If so, how would I go about doing that?<br /><br /> Steve

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Steve,<br /><br />If it can be done I think you would need to find a way to install a fuel pump from say a '58 or '59 35hp motor. I know there's a pump kit available for the 58-59 35hp but its just a repair kit.<br /><br />Someone else may have the info as to whether it could be done but I don't. Sorry

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Steve,<br /> I read in a post a while back the easiest way is to get a bypass cover from an early 40hp or 33hp, maybe '64 or so. It'll bolt right on in place of yours and it would already be drilled and tapped to accept a fuel pump. A pump can be adapted to your bypass cover, but you will need to drill and tap for mounting bolts as well as drill the bypass for the pulse line.<br /><br />EDIT: Here's a pic of one. Don't remember where I got the picture.<br />
fuel_pump.jpg

Catwagon

Seaman Apprentice

As it happens, I'm a student machinist right now so that sounds like a fine idea. Thanks very much!<br /><br />Steve

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

There's a small but enthusiatic group of us "Big Twin" owners on this forum. I'm a newbie in the group but I read a lot. Several guys here know every nut, bolt, spec, and trick. Generically they refer to the old twin cylinder 28's, 30's, 33's, 35's, and 40HP's as "Big Twins", regardless of whether it's Johnson or Evinrude nameplate. <br />A student machinist looking for an outboard to restore couldn't do better than an old Big Twin. They are very durable, easy to work on, parts are readily available, and they're just plain satisfyingly well made & engineered. They are very thirsty for everyday boating though. Big Twins seem to think gas is 20 cents a gallon. <br />The iBoats forums boards are under repair right now (server went down) so you'll have to wait to do a "Search" for old posts. Once it's up and running again you can Search under "Big Twin" and read all night.

Catwagon

Seaman Apprentice

BoatBouy's post on converting it over to a one line system opens up a couple more questions if BoatBouy and you other Big Twin guys don't mind.<br /><br /> Would the bypass cover off a '65 40 hp work? And if it does, would you use the standard '65 40hp fuel pump also or would it pump too much fuel for a 30 hp?<br /><br /> Thanks again guys,<br /> Steve

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

the fuel pumps only reach a certain pressure. when the needle valve in the carb closes, there is a pressure reief in the pump that bleeds off teh excess so it wont go over pressure

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Nope. The baffle portion of the bypass cover from a '65 40hp is just a little too wide to fit into the exhaust cavity.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

THe bypass cover from a 1960s 33 or 28 hp WILL fit the old 30hp and it has a boss cast in for the later style fuel pump. Just have to drill it out and tap the screw holes...<br />- Scott