1954 Montgomery ward seaking 5hp question

Ncedor

Recruit
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting.
picked up a 54 sea king 5hp couple of weeks ago, got her running, replaced Impeller, pumps but got her out on the water and in gear, she has no power, just stays at one RPM when the throttle is at wide-open. But when in neutral it runs the way it should. Changed plugs and cleaned points. Made n difference. Could this be a carb issue?
thanks for your help.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When you turn the twist grip throttle control does the butterfly open in the throat of the carb

Ncedor

Recruit
When you turn the twist grip throttle control does the butterfly open in the throat of the carb
It does, Today I tried playing with the mixture and moving it all around all the way from lean to rich and she just doesn't want to go. Trying to find a carb on the cheaper side but they all want good money for them. Could the motor be shot? should I do a compression test on her?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thats one of the first things you do. Compression check. If you didnt know the Gale division of outboards is the exact same as evinrude and johnson. A spin off of OMC. Alot of interchangeable parts. Probably nothing wrong with the carb. Your 2 knobs get turned in to seated and back out 3/4 of a turn and adjust from there. Buy a rebuild kit for the carb. Im sending you a private message go look at it

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You certain it's running on both cylinders? Those carbs are easy and generally I've cleaned a few of them without even replacing anything. The carb gaskets were great quality, and if it's ever been replaced you might be able to save it. If the needles don't have effect, likely something is restricted / plugged/ gummed up. "I guess you know" that the top needle is slow speed, the bottom is high speed.

Have you checked the compression?

On a side not it is very likely that the coils / condensers need replaced. Beware of eBag china coils. They are junk

Ncedor

Recruit
You certain it's running on both cylinders? Those carbs are easy and generally I've cleaned a few of them without even replacing anything. The carb gaskets were great quality, and if it's ever been replaced you might be able to save it. If the needles don't have effect, likely something is restricted / plugged/ gummed up. "I guess you know" that the top needle is slow speed, the bottom is high speed.

Have you checked the compression?

On a side not it is very likely that the coils / condensers need replaced. Beware of eBag china coils. They are junk

I'm not 100% it is running on both cylinders, I never even thought to check that. I'm newer to the outboard motor hobby but have always been into tractors. I'm going to check compression later today when I get back to the house. Coil and condensers I think are fine, I know 1 coil was replaced a couple of years ago before I picked up but both look fine. The carb on this motor only has one needle. I think it's just high speed but no low speed.

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Normally it's other way around. High speed jet/ needle is in the BOTTOM of the carb, slow speed at the top

Ncedor

Recruit
Did a compression test, the top cylinder has 59 pounds and the bottom cylinder has 61 pounds. and both cylinders are getting spark so it is running on both cylinders

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did a compression test, the top cylinder has 59 pounds and the bottom cylinder has 61 pounds. and both cylinders are getting spark so it is running on both cylinders
Thats mighty low

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
yes sir. Pull the side cover off and look at the pistons. See if they are scored or if rings are broke. Very easy to replace pistons and rings without removing flywheel or crank. The gasket kit for the whole motor isnt expensive either.