1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So aren't we looking to see the wood swell up from the water? Hence no more leaks I guess to some degree? :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think Ned had stated that these cold molded boats don't really swell up like a traditional plank type construction ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Once you get her flipped pics will tell the tale on problems and solutions.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Your right woody ... I guess a cradle will be next up for it .. Do you think it would be ok to rest it on the rolled planked top ? Was thinking on building a curved cradle to match the top with some padding on it ...Just on the bow ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
man grats on getting it wet! yeah may 1 was windy as hell. I was out all morning and crescent lake had 2 ft white caps! so I stuck to intra coastal.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hurry up Sam, I'm drooling here in Okieland, waiting for this build!!!! I SURE wish I was closer, I'd LOVE to work side by side with you on this one!!!!

zool

Captain
I didnt even know this project existed Sam...lets get er done, you work on it, and we'll watch!:couch2:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hurry up Sam,
believe me I've been wanting to get started for a long time .. This monster building I'm dealing with has pretty much consumed any extra time I have ..
Running 40 man crew now and fixing to add about 20 more ! :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ... I need to decide how i'm gunna post pics now ... The resizing thing is just a pain ...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I found resizing to be real easy and quick. I just pust relevant photos in one folder and add them all at one time. Hit resize and they are all done. I use FastStone Photo Resizer 3.8. "Faststone.org".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks guys ... I need to decide how i'm gunna post pics now ... The resizing thing is just a pain ...

I email the photos to myself, and my email automatically re-sizes. then when I check emails in the morning, I can simply grab the photos and post as needed.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
059 (600x800).jpg

Kinda rainy today so nothing on the Manatee . Need to pick up some tube steel and things for the trailer so I messed around with the WM today .
Took most all of the hardware off .. Did some sanding on the splash rail .. Just the top because I figured when it gets flipped over it would be hard to sand it without laying on my back to do it ..
052 (600x800).jpg

Getting those emblems off was a little nerve wracking .LOL!!! I just knew I was gunna break one .. Luckily that didn't happen ..

053 (600x800).jpg

I took those ugly brackets off the transom . Wish the original owner had not put those on there .. It left some rally bad indentations in the transom ... Not sure what to do other than sand it down best I can or replace the plywood which I would rather not do .. I guess some oak dowels glued in for the holes would be the way to go ..

058 (600x800).jpg

Most of the filler in the screw holes is starting to flake out so I assume I should dig all the old stuff out and refill .
What filler do yall think would be best to use ? Also is there a varnish or paint stripper I could use to help cut some of the sanding down ?
I don't want to use anything that may harm the veneer layers ..
Just looking at some fresh sanded wood is kinda cool !!!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
I've had good luck with good old furniture stripper Strip-Eze. Use the thick stuff that stays wet. Plenty of ventilation, gloves etc. Give it time to work but at first make sure its not raising your grain or the veneer. It will turn out beautiful. Press on.
PS Those emblems are GOLD!
Dale

Ned L

Commander
For filling the bolt holes I would suggest investing in a plug cutter (not expensive). Dowels will give you grain running in the wrong direction and so will pick up stain very differently and always be very visible. Plugs of the right color wood will be all but invisible.