1940 champion 3.2 hp s1f

Rob Wilkins

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
34
I have aquired this motor and the poor thing has been abused. I want to restore this great little motor and bring it back to life. I cant seem to find any info on this motor. I cant even find a picture of it that I could use for reference. If you have a picture of a 1940 Champion S1F you can post, I would be very thankfull.
Also, The fuel tank is a horshoe shape that I have never seen before. It is also filled with rust. Is there a product out there that I can use to recoat the inside of this tank? I dont want to have to replace it.
Thank you so much in advance
Rob
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: 1940 champion 3.2 hp s1f

You need to get acquainted with the Antique Outboard Motor Club. They have a Q&A forum too. aomci.org

Yes there are several brands of tank cleaner and sealer. Motorcycle shops, old car restorers, JC Whitney, e-bay.
 

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
4,005
Re: 1940 champion 3.2 hp s1f

Here's the little I know about them: takes a Champion D16 plug, gapped at .030; point gap is .018; factory fuel/oil ratio is 3/4 pint of 30W per gallon, which I think is 16:1...coffee is slow kicking in this morning.
Since we are entering the age of ethanol, make sure the tank sealer you buy is rated for alcohol-laced fuel. The ones made for aircraft usually are and don't cost anymore than the sealers made for motorcycles. Easy products to use and one can/kit does several tanks.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: 1940 champion 3.2 hp s1f

3/4 pt per gallon is 11:1 you should use present day TCW3 rated oil.
Don't skimp on oil these motor are all friction bearings.
 

Rob Wilkins

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
34
Re: 1940 champion 3.2 hp s1f

Than you all very much. Extremely helpfull information.
Does anyone have a picture of this motor???
 
Top