19 mods - swim platform

H20wens

Seaman
Winter being project time and all; I have embarked on a couple of mods. This first set is of the brackets I have fabricated to attach a swim platform. Obviously, forming them to fit the multiple curves of the stern was quite a challenge. The shop press helps. P1000886.JPGP1000884.JPGP1000885.JPGP1000895.JPGP1000881.JPG

H20wens

Seaman
Re: 19 mods - swim platform and other stuff

In the process of replacing the carpet, I noticed that the glass over the "foam holes" was cracked....not good. After a good bit of soul searching and little exploratory surgery I decided that whatever water was in there could just stay as far as I'm concerned. The boat does'nt seem heavy and performs great. At this point, that's good enough for me. While I was there, I went ahead and filled the ski locker vent tube with foam and glassed over both ends. There may be ventilation advantages to the design but all I see is another point of entry for water. A little sanding and paint and you'll never know it was there. I even formed in a drain channel from the battery tray.
P1000891.JPGP1000894.JPGP1000892.JPG

ziggy

Admiral

love your swim platform idea. too cool. i bet that's gonna work out real good for you. let us know how it goes. looks like your well on you way to success to me... nice job making the curved brackets to fit the transom.
I noticed that the glass over the "foam holes" was cracked....not good. After a good bit of soul searching and little exploratory surgery I decided that whatever water was in there could just stay as far as I'm concerned. The boat does'nt seem heavy and performs great. At this point, that's good enough for me.
so what exploritory surgery did you perform? my glass over the foam fill holes was/is cracked too. i just kinda/sorta filled them in a bit with epoxy to reseal mine. i am worried about water intrusion from this point too. but like you, my boat don't seem heavy and performs great too. so i also have left well enough alone too. so far.
While I was there, I went ahead and filled the ski locker vent tube with foam and glassed over both ends. There may be ventilation advantages to the design but all I see is another point of entry for water.
agreed. another point of possible water entry. but any water should drain back down to the bilge. assuming the tube under the inner liner isn't spent. which in my case with a cloth covered tube (later years i think used a metal instead of cloth which may be more durable i would assume). i wonder a lot as to its integrity. anyways. from the sound of it. you've plugged the tube that is intake from the blower? where will you intake from now? just from the bilge itself. i'd be worried about fumes that don't get sucked up as the oem designed it to do. i don't know. maybe AristoCraft can shed some light on this. the routing of the cloth tubes and the reasons for there locations are a mystery to me.
ya sure got a cool nineteen there h2o..... sure hope spring comes on by soon. these single digit temps are already getting old..

H20wens

Seaman

When I cut the plugs out the foam at the top was pretty wet. So..... I took a piece of 3" tubing and cut a hole all the way to the hull. The foam felt cold, but I couldn't really wring any water out of it. So I refilled the holes with "Great Stuff" foam and glassed it back it with 1 ply of matt and 2 overlapping plys of cloth. I then pumped the vent tube going to the blower full of foam and performed the same glass procedure on both ends. The blower draws air straight out of the engine compt. now which is more conventional. I have almost completed the aluminum frame work for the platform. Just a little more trimming and welding and then I will build the deck.P1000920.JPGP1000918.jpgP1000919.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

WOW nice work, that platform is going to be great, and doesn't even take away from the lines on the stern either.

Looks like that was very difficult and it fits perfect. Are you going to put teak boards on top?

BTW the dash is killer, love all those old gauges.:)

H20wens

Seaman

Thanks! As with most things, noodling it out was harder than actually doing the work. I found a teak swim platform on ebay from a boat salvage place. It should be a near perfect fit. I'll post some more pics when I get finished.

H20wens

Seaman

foam cutter.jpgback up plate2.jpgback up plate1.jpgfoam cutter.jpgback up plate2.jpgback up plate1.jpgHere are some more pics of my platform project. I have also included a pic of a tool I made. It was original made to stir paint, but I have found it shreds foam with ease. I just keep the shop vac running and it disappears like magic. The back up plates are made of 0.150 thick stainless steel. I was able to carve access on the port side without cutting a hole as there is a gap over the top of the fuel tank.

ziggy

Admiral

very nice h2o.
now for the questions.... ;)

i always thought my boat had some work done to it. several of your pics show similar. right below the bottom of your rectangular hole, there is some sloppy looking glass work. mine looks the same. specially towards the engine compartment. just like yours. do ya think that's the way yours came from the oem? if i'm not mistaken. i also see a piece of what i believe to be cokebottle green plexsiglass on the inside of the engine compartment on my boat. right above the blower. does yours have that too?

what's that black box ya got mounted high in the engine compartment on the starboard side, above your battery switch.

H20wens

Seaman

Hey Ziggy,
I think that the sloppy glass work is OEM. The "foam holes" in the floor where of similar quality. It appears they were just trying to seal the foam as that bit serves no structural purpose.

I have not noticed plexiglas of any color in my engine compt. I wonder if somebody cut an access hole at some time in the past? with a 30+ year old boat...who knows.

The box? I think you must be looking at the tilt/trim pump.

H20wens

Seaman

The finished (almost) product. I still have to add a few screws. The platform came from a marine salvage yard.

Attachments

• P1000984.JPG
    P1000984.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1
  • P1000983.JPG
    P1000983.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 1

ziggy

Admiral

it sure came out nice h2o. looks real sturdy and very useful to me (i still have to climb up my drive to get back in my boat. :(). thanks for the documentation of how you did that.
out of curiosity...

how many holes got drilled into your transom?
what did you fill the holes with on the boat prior to fastening your back plate on?
loctite or nyloc nuts on your through bolts?

H20wens

Seaman

Each bracket has 14 holes. The upper 4 on each is through bolted with a reinforcing plate and self locking nuts on the inside. The reminder are #8 screws. All four brackets are installed with a generous slathering of "marine goop" - no kidding, that is what is called. It's basically a souped up version of contact cement. Before I bonded the brackets I masked and sanded the transom contact areas with a 2" 36 grit sanding disc to get a good mechanical bond. Essentially, the brackets are now an intregral part of the transom. I don't think I could remove them if I wanted to. I discovered that the transom "skin" gets very thin (no more than 3/16" or so) about 8" outboard of the stern drive plate; while the area around the drive is about 1" thick and appears to be solid glass.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

very nice h20, i have a half ski platform, only on one side and was thinking about making it a whole one, but doing mine with glass not wood. one word of advice, be careful with that marine goop. on an older project O/B boat we remounted the outboard and used that to fill the wholes with the it started to leak, its very flexible... if you ever take it off or reconsider i highly recommend using 3m 5200 adhesive/sealer.

H20wens

Seaman

I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.