186 Captiva 4.3 Merc Alpa One - OPINION??

sham

Seaman
Hello! I am looking at a 89 rinker today with a 186 captiva with 4.3 merc alpa one outdrive? Said in excellent condition - mostly garage kept. Any opinions on this motor? Recently been in the water. Goes 50+. Don't know much about it . . . HELP!!!:confused::rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 186 Captiva 4.3 Merc Alpa One - OPINION??

Not an outboard, Sham.

Going to mercruiser forum

sham

Seaman

Thanks - thought I posted this in the right place -sorry!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

That's a Good Motor,+ Drive.....

sham

Seaman

Okay - so if I found a 1989 Rinker with this motor in it and the boat itself started and sounded excellent - was in great condition, seats were excellent, no rot anywhere, held 7 people, came with a 2006 custom trailer special ordered to match the boat that had Rinker's logo on it, min. scratches, all controls worked, cd stereo, binimi top, 3 covers, and lots of "extras" for $3000 - would ya get it? (oh -he's willing to let us test drive it too) My only BIG question is we have no idea what it weighs and if a 2003 Honda Odyssey will pull it. (We pull a 2001 Rockwood pop-up with it with no problems!) HELP MORE PLEASE!!!!:)

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like a fair deal as long as the boat is right. Do you know anyone that knows boats? Would he allow you to have a mechanic go over it? Boat repairs can be VERY expensive. I would pay a marine mechanic for an hour's time to go over it if the seller would allow that. Even then, you are not guaranteed no problems.
I dont mean to be so negative, it just sounds like you are new to boating and it's best to get some help from someone that can evaluate the condition.
If there is nothing major wrong, go for it. Sounds like a fair price.

sham

Seaman

I am new to boating! Um, the owner just bought it last year and he bought it from a Dealer - would I still need a mechanic? I know the owner wouldn't mind IF we did take it to one.:rolleyes:

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I think paying an hour or two of shop time would be money well spent. a great deal can turn in to a huge pain in the neck if you miss something... say water in the outdrive, leaking bellows, rotten stringers or transom, etc, etc...

If everything is sound, that sounds like a decent set-up for your needs and will give you a good balance between power to pull skiers and boarders without using too much gas...

sham

Seaman

I think paying an hour or two of shop time would be money well spent. a great deal can turn in to a huge pain in the neck if you miss something... say water in the outdrive, leaking bellows, rotten stringers or transom, etc, etc... l

Got it - Thanks! Over all though - it is typically a sound motor??:confused:

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I had a similar sized boat with a 4.3 / alpha drive in it and it was great for all around. would run into the 50's easy, plenty of power to pull people and didn't do too bad on gas (we're talking boat standards here...). Lots of people and shops around that know how to work on them, parts are reasonable and easy to come by, etc... I think a lot of people would agree that for in inboard / outdrive of the type it sounds like you're interested it's a good combination. Also a small enough boat that won't be too difficult to get in and out of the water.

sham

Seaman

I had a similar sized boat with a 4.3 / alpha drive in it and it was great for all around. would run into the 50's easy, plenty of power to pull people and didn't do too bad on gas (we're talking boat standards here...). Lots of people and shops around that know how to work on them, parts are reasonable and easy to come by, etc... I think a lot of people would agree that for in inboard / outdrive of the type it sounds like you're interested it's a good combination. Also a small enough boat that won't be too difficult to get in and out of the water.

Thanks - I really think that maybe I've found the one but still not sure - I don't like to bite at the first thing, although, this isn't the first one we've looked at but it is BY FAR THE BEST!:D

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If he bought it from a dealer he's taking a huge hit selling it at $3000. I would be very cautious about the inspection; especially the engine and any repairs to the hull. I would go through it with a fine-toothed comb. It sounds like he knows something you don't.

Around here that boat from a dealer would go for twice that amount and about $5K from a private seller.

sham

Seaman

If he bought it from a dealer he's taking a huge hit selling it at $3000. I would be very cautious about the inspection; especially the engine and any repairs to the hull. I would go through it with a fine-toothed comb. It sounds like he knows something you don't.

Around here that boat from a dealer would go for twice that amount and about $5K from a private seller.

Well, he said he paid $5,000 for it from the dealer and they were asking $7,000 at the time. He said he listed it this time last year for 5,000 and had no calls. He then said he re-listed it this year at the beginning for 3,500 and had no one show up - he is a "country boy" (don't want to offend anyone - apologize if I did) and he figures that with today's economy and gas prices is why he's having problems getting rid of it. He really wants a fishing boat. His son is leaving for the army and now he'll be fishing alone and can't quite get this boat into the coves where he likes to go to fish. He said the trailer alone is probably worth that much as the lady (the first owner -lived in a "rich" neighborhood) just ordered it before she sold it to the dealer he bought it from. She upgraded and this was his first boat. Sorry to ramble but that's the story I got. The engine itself looked real sound and this guy has limited computer abilities and has no way of taking pics and posting which in the long run - I think it hurts when trying to sell something. Anyway, now what?:rolleyes:

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ask the guy if you can get it inspected by a marine mechanic and have it gone through top to bottom.

sham

Seaman

Ask the guy if you can get it inspected by a marine mechanic and have it gone through top to bottom.

Probably will after we take it for a ride (if we do) and check all fluids too - that's a way I know we can really go through it too. Then - IF we still like it - we'll line it up to have it checked. Sound good??

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

boats are selling cheaper and cheaper here... and we're literally surrounded by water. There aren't near as many out on the sound or river this year as last, not even on some of the really busy lakes that we go to is the traffic as heavy. economic downturn and fuel prices are driving prices down a lot... what you would think something was worth from a year ago just doesn't apply any more - at least not in my world...

sham

Seaman

boats are selling cheaper and cheaper here... and we're literally surrounded by water. There aren't near as many out on the sound or river this year as last, not even on some of the really busy lakes that we go to is the traffic as heavy. economic downturn and fuel prices are driving prices down a lot... what you would think something was worth from a year ago just doesn't apply any more - at least not in my world...

So - it IS possible for this to not be one of those "too good to be true" type of deals?;)

MikDee

Banned

It sounds too good to be true? I'd expect it to be almost twice that price, especially if it's that clean? But it is an 89' boat, 19yrs old. It is a great size, & combo, highly manueverable, in, & out of the water, and one of the best engines for dependability, power, & economy, if it suits your purpose. It maybe needing manifolds, & risers, by now, if they haven't been changed recently, especially if used in salt water (not cheap, but worth the money if so) I'd consider them normal maintenance on a boat, as long as they're not bad enough now to cause engine problems? If you find it's all good, I'd jump on it in a flash!

sham

Seaman

It sounds too good to be true? I'd expect it to be almost twice that price, especially if it's that clean? But it is an 89' boat, 19yrs old. It is a great size, & combo, highly manueverable, in, & out of the water, and one of the best engines for dependability, power, & economy, if it suits your purpose. It maybe needing manifolds, & risers, by now, if they haven't been changed recently, especially if used in salt water (not cheap, but worth the money if so) I'd consider them normal maintenance on a boat, as long as they're not bad enough now to cause engine problems? If you find it's all good, I'd jump on it in a flash!

Well, it's never been in salt water but I'll have the mechanic check the manifolds and risers as suggested. I'm so glad - it sounds as if I may have actually found the "one" - but not til we drive it and have it checked out!!
Thanks so much for your advise!!:p

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, that's about what a 18' 20 year old boat is fetching these days, i'd say. In very good/great condition you are getting a great deal though. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff to check it out. IF there is no rot anywhere and the engine runs fine per a mechanic, buy it and enjoy it! It's a low-risk purchase IMO.