1802 w/a swim platform

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class
i've got a 2005 1802 walkaround...since its winterized i keep thinking of things i want to get for it next spring..i would like to add a swim platform to it..any one install one of these...part of the transom appears to be thin fiber glass..mostly towards the top..i've seen them on this boat...any suggestions and or pictures would be great thanks

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1802 w/a swim platform

I had installed a swim platform on my 1802 when I had it. You will need to re-enforce the upper mounting points with resin soaked wood in order to take the forces that will be exerted by a person attempting to leave the water and climb back into the boat. The transom itself is thick enough with plywood for you to bolt down below but do use fender washers. I had a Garelick platform with a folding two step ladder which didn't have supports under the platform. This is important in that those platforms that do have bottom supports will have the attachment points under water. Make sure you coat the inside of the holes with resin and then use Boat Life or 3M 4200 liberally to seal the holes around the bolts.

You can see my platform on the port side in the picture below. You will notice there is no "inside" upper support. This is due to the fact I ordered the model for an outboard. If you order the I/O model of this platform you will get two of the upper brackets. I recommend you go that route. You'll have to hunt Garelicks web site to find the model number as I don't have it here anywhere.

DSC00102.sized.jpg

:)

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

mole...thanks so much thats exactly what i was looking for...i did notice no support on the lower side..i just startred looking but i noticied o/b platforms have one up top and another one on the bottom but at the oppisite side..what happend to ur lower..hope u have a nice ...and quick winter

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mole...thanks so much thats exactly what i was looking for...i did notice no support on the lower side..i just startred looking but i noticied o/b platforms have one up top and another one on the bottom but at the oppisite side..what happend to ur lower..hope u have a nice ...and quick winter

I never installed the lower brace. It's a b*tch to get to that spot and I didn't want to be drilling holes below the water line. For me the platform was only going to get used in an emergency. If you go to the Garelick site you will see you can get the same platform for an I/O and it has only the top braces - two of them. That is the way to go.

:)

raymor

Seaman

I bought my 2005 1802 used. It was two years old with 30 hrs on the 4 stroke. I had a swim platform that was installed by the factory and notice that they had used galvanized bolts. Had the dealer replace with stainless before I bought the boat. I never did figure out how they changed the bolt on the bottom support. I can see no accesss into that area so glad they did it.