18' Sunbird 195 IO Project - aka "The Bionic Boat"

Bgriffin67

Cadet
Re: 18' Sunbird 195 IO Project - aka "The Bionic Boat"

:) Well after ending up missing the whole summer I am finally back to the project boat. I have completed the stringers, refoaming, and the floor. Now I am working on the transom. <br /><br />I opened up the top and sucked the transom out with a vaccume. Yep what was left all fit into one vaccume bag too. <br /><br /> :confused: <br />My problem is that I can see where the stern-drive to engine hole goes through. But I haven't removed the engine or stern-drive. I'm wondering if I can just remove the Stern-Drive to seal up around the opening then pour sea-cast. Also I have no idea how to remove the Cobra Stern-Drive from the OMC engine. Anyone able to help?<br /> :confused:

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

"Also I have no idea how to remove the Cobra Stern-Drive from the OMC engine. Anyone able to help"<br /><br />Well, I'm assuming that you know how the drive itself comes off. <br /><br />Gimbal ring/Transom plate is held on with 8 studs/nuts from the inside. You'll have to pull the shift cable, the trim hydraulic lines, one water line, the steering connections to get it off. MUCH easier with the motor out, trust me. I'm in the middle of mine now, leaving the motor in. Almost wish I had pulled the motor. I might still, actually before it's all over. Mine's a 5.7, so fun fun fun!. <br /><br />-Roger

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I would definatly pull the motor, they come out so easy. Of course, it will all need to be aligned anyway, so might as well make the task as easy as possible...