18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

So let me just see if I have this straight...

You made some noises that resemble a boat horn, sent a couple of funny text messages, and you are in the clear.

When I brought home the Jet Star I was committed to 6 months hard labor for a new kitchen, all stainless appliances, granite counters, new hardwood floors, custom cabinets (which I'm still not quite done with actually).

Now one of us clearly has got this marriage thing figured and the other has a LOT to learn.

Sheesh, how embarrassing :facepalm:

Well done man;)

barato2

Commander

not to mention you got a Jet Star and he got a cruiser......Gib, yer the master

but you'll be glad you did the custom cabinets in 10 years. doubt i'll ever buy more of the particle board carp they sell as cabinets; the birch-ply ones i did for the apartment out back have held up nicely to 10+yrs of rental-property use.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Well I did have to mount/wire the ceiling fan, and install/finish some recessed lighting fixtures (I had been putting it off)... :redface:

InMotion

Commander

Nice work man!! What we have here is a floatila!!! Man o man... 3 boats. Glad the Admiral is now on board. I am quite sure I would be overboard!

Lookin forward to followin' along!!!

J.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gibs - you make a left turn. Get back on the Nova and get the family out on the water. Then you have carte blanche on the Chieftain. :D

barato2

Commander

is it a Chieftain? i thought Starchief due to the 18' part. rooflines of that vintage are really hard to tell apart.

barato2

Commander

you sure that's a Chieftain? i'd guess Starchief due to the 18' part but the rooflines on that vintage are durn near impossible to tell apart.

it's a B.U.T.T.....big unidentified tin thang

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

lol, what ever the heck it is, the state sees it as a starchief now :D

And I have some gulvit ordered and some more epoxy :cool:

This weekend I'm plannng on getting back to the nova, but I have this focus problem... I work on what ever I really want. :p

But I can't install any flooring in the Chief until I get the holes welded up :(

barato2

Commander

that's not a focus problem. i thought we were doing this for fun?

sorry abt the double post, i'm not really obsessed, just thought it had lost 1st one
sorry abt the double post, i'm not really obsessed, just thought it had lost the 1st one

you can't INSTALL flooring. but you can cut, slather, and test fit it, and cut the foamboard to size (mark where it goes if you have to pull it out again for floor fix, don't be like el bozo here...), and even trim flooring to a rough fit. and plan/build the cabin layout (don't forget that head...)

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

that's not a focus problem. i thought we were doing this for fun?

sorry abt the double post, i'm not really obsessed, just thought it had lost 1st one
sorry abt the double post, i'm not really obsessed, just thought it had lost the 1st one

you can't INSTALL flooring. but you can cut, slather, and test fit it, and cut the foamboard to size (mark where it goes if you have to pull it out again for floor fix, don't be like el bozo here...), and even trim flooring to a rough fit. and plan/build the cabin layout (don't forget that head...)

Tru this is for fun :D

And for the fitting, that's where I'm leaning, get everything fitted, sealed, transom, ect

And I was thinking about using 3/4 for the floor, but I have to look and see if that will work (hopefully this weekend).

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Did a little cleaning of the clock
And I gave it a little wind and it started ticking nice and strong!

cool little clock :)

DSCF0461.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gib - that is one neat clock. And no batteries to drain. ;)

barato2

Commander

that tin thing looked at him sideways and he CLEANED HER CLOCK

pretty cool little toy

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I have a thing for wind-up clocks :)

it's my favorite gauge now :D
And it's keeping really good time so far, I set it last night to my Cell, still on the dot.
Not bad asI have a few clocks (much older than this one) that don't do nearly as well unless they get cleaned every few years.

The barometer also appears to work also.
I'll get a pict of that in a few.

I also got a little bit of work done on the Chief, the floor supports were damaged pretty badly, rotten floors + to much weight smushed them down, and did a bit of cracking...

I got them straight, and then used some angle aluminum to re enforce, and drilled out the ends of the cracks in hopes to stop it there.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

well I took some time off of work planning on doing lots of fishing...
So far I have had 3 days off and I have not gone to the lake once. :(

I did get some work done on the boats.

First that ratty old fuel tank had some serious buildup at the bottom

I took my Gallon of magic carb cleaner (put in a dirty carb leave over night and pull out a fresh clean one!) and poured it into the fuel tank and let it sit over night, and next day flipped the tank so it sat on each surface of the cube.

Last night I drained the cleaner back into the gallon can and started scrubbing....

Ended up taking my power washer (weak electric one) and washing out the inside... I have never seen fuel turn into what almost looks like wood chips... but that's what lined the bottom of the tank.

I also found two wooden dowels that were notched for checking fuel level :p

And while cleaning I found a marking stating 18 gallons :D

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I also cleaned and powerwashed the inside of the Chief getting ready for the sealer.

While in there I took a hammer to the holes and flattened them down, and also found how easy and fun dent removal is!!

I have a bunch of pictures on the camera, but I'm lazy... :redface:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have a bunch of pictures on the camera, but I'm lazy... :redface:

Yah, no it's cool. Really.

Well, until men with farm tools turned to weapons come to your place and take em out of your hide:eek::eek:

Post photos or lace up your running shoes my friend:D

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a slow runner :eek:

Some cleaned up shots of the extra holes

Hole #1
DSCF0476.jpg

and hole 2
DSCF0475.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Also what ever they used to patch the holes, is on there really really well!

shop vac!
DSCF0468.jpg

Removing the rest of the wood
DSCF0467.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg