Re: SS for Fshngho

Most excellent!!!!
Very cool Fishngho!!!!

ummmm..looking at the helm seat in the pic..it's a little low isnt it? lol :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My friend, that looks like a fun project, nice score!!!

fshngho

Lieutenant

<"ummmm..looking at the helm seat in the pic..it's a little low isnt it? ">

Kev, you didn't look close enough, thats what the cinderblock is for:p
Jason I'm not sure if I took on a project or a career:redface: In either case its going to be fun.

dozerII

Admiral

Way to go Fshnho, another SS to the Starmada. Looks like its going to be a great project.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats Dale! Boat looks great (all the trim pieces and everything appear to be present which is a big plus. The hull looks identical to my SS so I'm not sure in those years if "Offshore" meant any major design difference. Maybe just options or something?

I don't know how much hope I'd hold out for an electric shift outboard that's missing parts. However, I will say that the mechanic I just had my motor too had one there on a boat. He said he'd advised the owner not to put much into it but the guy wanted it running. My mechanic got it running and said he'd be darned but it ran like new and shifted great.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sweet, glad to see it....but what happened to the aluminum that closes in the bow area?... I bet it feels like a holiday now that it's home ;)

Looking forward to watching the re-birth!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Go on the iboat site under Johnson Evenrude motors you can down load a lot of info and most have a wireing diagram to download. Most of the wireing was color coded.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Although I LOVE outboards ( 'cept Force/Chrysler...:mad:) I regret to say this one has had better days:( My fishing buddy may be able to use some parts but thats it. No worries, worse case senerio I'll put my Merc on it when I'm done. Few things I'm missing, corner transom caps ( that a fellow SC owner has given me a lead on, thanks) and the bow rail bases are trashed. I noticed about five rivots that were leaking at the port bow but I think re bucking them along with Gluvit interior will take care of that. No doubt about a complete resore. Transom soft as a babies tush and a sponge for a floor. Splashwell and consoles are very loose or seperated. Tomorrow is destucto day!

BTW, if the motor is/was electric shift, I would have dropped it on the road home just from past experience.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Well then, I didn't quite get up as early as usual today. I wanted to start on the boat before the heat...no luck. 96 degrees and humid as heck, but away I went. This was the trash I pulled out.
SSSC1011.jpg
[/IMG]
And I was happy I didn't see sprayed floatation.:D
SSSC1010.jpg
[/IMG]
I have my saved pieces for future use.
SSSC1009.jpg
[/IMG]
And a cleaned (not yet scrubbed) boat. Limber holes were full but pressure washer and scrubbing is next. Then its Gluvit time.
SSSC1012.jpg
[/IMG]

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You made quick work of that foam, nice work! So what is going in it's place?

Take a break, drink some water, eh!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Allmost forgot guys. I have no use for this motor and it does not run. Lower unit may be ok as well as carbs, etc. Steering cable is frozen but I will keep the steering wheel. If anyone needs parts to motor or steering including bracket, let me know. You just have to take care of freight, thats all.:D

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think that may be the fastest gutting i've seen since the last time i watched Mexican carniceros at work. you da man. what a nice boat...everything i'm trying to build my Lone Star into (except the pea green...;))

fshngho

Lieutenant

PEA GREEN???? 'Tis Avacado Green my man;) And thanks but I still have to drop motor, remove transom and splashwell, scrub hull and pressure wash:p
Then its Gluvit and Noodles. Getting to the end of summer, wonder if I can find a deal?.....:rolleyes:

fshngho

Lieutenant

Very busy week work wise:mad: Well my buddy came and got the motor, we saw even more probs with it so I gave it to him. Recieved my Gluvit today annnd, I also got both my brand new stern corner caps today:D Many thanks to Darren (Stratosman) for hooking me up with a gent named Dale (go figure) in Pa that has them in stock. Warning: they are not cheap, my two were $126.00 incl shipping. This weekend is transom and splashwell removal, scrub interior, re-buck 4 rivots, possibly flip her and sand to prep for paint.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're making good headway. Keep it up!

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: 16' Starcraft SS Restoration

Thanks to EZ for moving this thread for me, but its a 18 footer.
Been a busy couple of weeks but I got some work in. I removed the splashwell to get better access to the transom. I decided to go ahead and paint her so befor I flipped it I wanted to do a good inspection.:(
I found several rivets that I could re buck in the bow. I found two that were broken loose from the inside rib. I drilled those out and replaced with ss screws. My knee brace at the transom was ripped where it fastens to the wood, so I will have to re-fab a brace. I am thinking af adding a couple more braces. I cut 4 pcs of 2 x 4's about a foot long and attached them to the top gunwhale using the existing holes from the cleats aft and hole from bow rails in the bow, about 3' back. Then I attached pt 5/4 boards to thos crossways. Then I bolted casters on each corner respectivly. I pulled the boat out of the garage and onto the grass, pulled the boat off the trailer, flipped the boat on its side using poles to hold it balanced on its side. I moved to the other side and laid it down, upside down, on the casters, then rolled it into the garage. Pics to come soon.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks to EZ for moving this thread for me, but its a 18 footer.
Been a busy couple of weeks but I got some work in. I removed the splashwell to get better access to the transom. I decided to go ahead and paint her so befor I flipped it I wanted to do a good inspection.:(
I found several rivets that I could re buck in the bow. I found two that were broken loose from the inside rib. I drilled those out and replaced with ss screws. My knee brace at the transom was ripped where it fastens to the wood, so I will have to re-fab a brace. I am thinking af adding a couple more braces. I cut 4 pcs of 2 x 4's about a foot long and attached them to the top gunwhale using the existing holes from the cleats aft and hole from bow rails in the bow, about 3' back. Then I attached pt 5/4 boards to thos crossways. Then I bolted casters on each corner respectivly. I pulled the boat out of the garage and onto the grass, pulled the boat off the trailer, flipped the boat on its side using poles to hold it balanced on its side. I moved to the other side and laid it down, upside down, on the casters, then rolled it into the garage. Pics to come soon.

How can ya do all that flippin without proper documentation??
As ya said to me bro..pics!

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: 18' Starcraft SS Restoration

My apologies gentlemen. Since I have already flipped it, I will try to get a pic of what I did. I was too cheap to buy 3- furniture dollys so I 'borrowed" some casters from my wifes garden cart (shhhh)
SSSC1022.jpg
[/IMG]
SSSC1029.jpg
[/IMG]
I mounted everything while the boat was upright and when I flipped it, away we went...to the garage.
I used existing holes from the rails in the front and holes from the cleats in the back. Works great, but I would suggest casters that lock down 'cause the boat wants to roll everywhere:mad:

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: 18' Starcraft SS Restoration

What I had noticed before flipping was the knee brace was broken at the flanges.
SSSC1024.jpg
[/IMG]
No big deal I figured. I have aluminum at my shop that has 2 1/4" ID that will slip right over it and I can bend new flanges. What I saw when I flipped it worries me.
SSSC1023.jpg
[/IMG]
You can see 3 rivits missing. Should I completely remove the brace, install a second skin in the area, and re-install the brace? I saw in Papas thread stainless steel screws & nuts may not be the best to use, any suggestions? Here is the boat inside
SSSC1027.jpg
[/IMG]