18 hp evinrude model id

SteelBow

Cadet
Howdy all,
I recently purchased a 18 HP evinrude and am trying to determine the model and year. The id plate is missing and the block plug is only has a serial number: e3441247 . I think it is a 72 or 73 but I am unsure. Where else might I find a model number?

Any insight is appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18 hp evinrude model id

The missing plate and welsh plug are the only two places. Post a picture of it, if it has the correct hood and decals. Somebody here can probably ID it from that.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can't help with those numbers but my info indicates 72 is the last year for the 18.
If you can post pics someone surely can help.

SteelBow

Cadet

Motor has new paint and stickers.

I'll try to post more pics later.

IMAG0452.jpg

SteelBow

Cadet

IMAG0488.jpgIMAG0490.jpg

Tacked the wrong one in that first set. Probably ought to use something other than my smart phone to post.

;)

--EDIT--
Finally figured out how to delete that wrong image....

SteelBow

Cadet

Anyone? Any other part #s or stampings that might help me positively ID this motor?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

No, I'm afraid not. I can tell you that it is not a 1973, as that was the first year of the low tension magneto and your motor does NOT have the coils on the cylinder head. Your cowling is probably from a Johnson, going by the shape as Evinrudes of that era had a tapered shape along the top couple of inches all the way around (see pic). 1970 had a completely different cowling design (with no compatibility between the Evinrudes and Johnsons), so that leaves your motor as either a 1971 or 1972 model.

Attachments

• JohnnyCashMotor_1907.jpg
    JohnnyCashMotor_1907.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0

kbait

Commander

I'd call a J/E dealer w/your serial number. They'll likely have the resources to id the hp/year from it. From the looks of the exhaust housing mount just above the lower unit, I'd say '71+.. it's squared off, pre-71's were rounded: Image Search Results for 1971 evinrude 18hp

I looked at '71-73's 18hp's and the hood shape isn't the same as your picss.

Here's a '72 johnson (1st pic): Image Search Results for 1972 johnson 20hp

Hood is the same as yours.. and a 20hp hood should fit yours, if it's indeed an 18hp.

So, it's definitely '71-'73 evinrude 18hp w/different hood, or perhaps an evinrude 25hp from '71+ from what I can tell. Again, try a dealer who may be definitive.

Good luck!

kbait

Commander

Ah.. Chinewalker remembered the external coils. So my above reply should be '71-'72 evinrude 18 w/Johnson cowl, or possibly '71-'72 25hp Evinrude (again.. Johnson cowl). Someone may rule out 25hp by powerhead pics that you provided.

kfa4303

Banned

View attachment 176292View attachment 176293

Tacked the wrong one in that first set. Probably ought to use something other than my smart phone to post.

;)

Hi Steel. Neat old motor. Based on the power head it uses the much loved old-school magneto ignition. If you look on the transom clamp there should be small riveted tag. Look for a model and serial number. I'm guessing it's a 65-70 model. I have a '66 20 hp Johnson that's virtually identical. Here's a handy link that may help you ID it too.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im not sure either how to tell the difference between the 72 and 71 without original cowl, but it is one of those 2.

SteelBow

Cadet

Been exchanging emails and pics with the Evinrude support people. They are pretty much saying the same thing, an early 70s motor but they haven't positively identified it yet.

I just sent them a casting number I found on the block.

They also told me that the "E" in the serial number means it was manufactured in Milwaukee, and does not necessarily mean it is an Evinruide....... Which means it might well be a Johnson 20 in an Evinrude sticker?

SteelBow

Cadet

Props to the evinrude service people:

Dear Mr SteelBow,

It is our belief that your engine was manufactured as a 1971 Evinrude model 18102S.

I have included two links below one is for the manuals and one for parts.

Manuals: Original outboard product and service manuals for Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, and OMC
Parts: Evinrude

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any additional questions please feel free to reply to this e-mail, or contact our Consumer Support Contact Center at 262-844-5993 during normal business hours Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM CST.

Guess the motor is now known to be older than I am..... :rolleyes:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

They also told me that the "E" in the serial number means it was manufactured in Milwaukee, and does not necessarily mean it is an Evinruide....... Which means it might well be a Johnson 20 in an Evinrude sticker?

Could very well be... that would explain the white color chosen for the repaint, as well as the cowling shape... Would also explain why the model number isn't on the block, as Evinrudes had them on the block, whereas Johnsons did not (until later).

kfa4303

Banned

The "E" also indicates that it is an Evinrude "E-model", rather than the equivalent Johnson "FD-model" of the same/similar horsepower. Both are great motors and virtually all of the parts are interchangeable between them as well. Assuming the compression is decent, all the rest is pretty east to fix and you can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I am sure it is a Johnson 20, not an Evinrude 18.

Quick question, is there any evidence of a dark, metallic green under any of the white paint on the block? Maybe scratch through a bit and see? If it's dark green, it's a Johnson. If it's blue, it's an Evinrude...

SteelBow

Cadet

As far as I can tell by scratching through in a couple of places the block was stripped to bare metal and then painted white.

But with an "E" serial number and not an "FD" I am thinking the evinrude people are right and it a 71 Evinrude with a Johnson hood?

With all the effort somebody did at some point in stripping and repainting this whole outboard, and spraying custom ghost flames on the hood, somebody obviously went through it and spent time doing it.

I just hope it was fairly recent and that it gives me lots of trouble free service ;)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The E on the plug doesn't make it an Evinrude. An Evinrude of that era would have had TWO numbers on the plug: model and serial number. Johnsons of that era ONLY had the serial number on the plug, not the model number. Plus, by 1971, Johnson had dropped the 'FD' model prefix and was using a different model numbering system, with the horsepower being the first two (or three) digits and the model year being the third and second to last digits. Again, this number would only have been present on the motor leg tag for Johnsons, while the serial would have been in both places.

Not that it makes a huge amount of difference - the Evinrude 18 and Johnson 20 were virtually identical for both 1971 and 1972, with the only differences being cosmetic. Same cylinder block, same intake, same carb...