16' Supersport "rolling rebuild"

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 16' Supersport "rolling rebuild"

So I've been considering a re-power, and I need some new reading material. Anybody got any articles or suggestions about older motors? I've been knocking around the idea of a 85hp johnson, something with TnT. What's a good year range or a year range I should avoid?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

in general I like engines that are 1975 and newer... :)

dozerII

Admiral

So I've been considering a re-power, and I need some new reading material. Anybody got any articles or suggestions about older motors? I've been knocking around the idea of a 85hp johnson, something with TnT. What's a good year range or a year range I should avoid?

You will want to stay newer than 78 on Johnny's and Evinrudes, 79 was the first year for the integrated TNT. The V4's are very good motors.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that dozer, gives me a starting point!

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So this fall I turtled the supersport, thinking "eh I can shovel around it and get some work done stripping the bottom".

And I figured, since she was off the trailer, I probably will deal with re-building that while she's turtled.

And it's not like I haven't lived here my whole life or anything....

(can ya tell I'm starting to crave some soft water?)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, looks like it'll be a several fortnights before any boat/trailer work gets done around you place......................

TGIF tomorrow all the same :cool:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

So this fall I turtled the supersport, thinking "eh I can shovel around it and get some work done stripping the bottom". And it's not like I haven't lived here my whole life or anything....
(can ya tell I'm starting to crave some soft water?)
Well for what it's worth, the SS will come out of winter better than your house would had you not spent time fixing your roof first. - Grandad

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ha, nice man! Yah, winter has a good grip on us this year. Spring sure seems a long way off right now, rats.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well for what it's worth, the SS will come out of winter better than your house would had you not spent time fixing your roof first. - Grandad

Yup, still re-doing the interior there. Between holidays + the admiral and I being sick, we havent done a whole lot of anything around here =D

InMotion

Commander

Man... snow, snow snow! Soon enough it will be soft water time!

J.

barato2

Commander

it may sound weird to you northern guys but here in NM we're wishing for a bit more snowfall to go with our cold....the so called "Rio Grande" is more the "rio pathetic"....frequently totally dry near El Paso

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well B2 not so weird. Last year our state was in an uproar over the super low levels of Lk Michigan and Lk Huron. There were many ports that people couldn't launch out of and marinas that lost docking space due to low water. Mega money was spent in dredging operations. At my favorite port they put cones on the launch docks marking the end of the pad so you didn't drop your trailer off and you had to keep the outdrive tilted way up to avoid damage leaving the docks. The snow and ice is really a blessing for us but it just has seemed to come in strong waves of storms and not spread out.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So most of the white stuff is gone, and we hit 60 degrees for the first time in about 6 months on sunday... so you know what that means!

Maple syrup season is over! :D

Over the winter I picked up some nifty stuff for the boat. I'll post some pictures one of these days. Nothing exciting, just some stainless hinges, bus bars, and the like. I was able to get the trailer torn down this weekend while boiling some syrup so now I've gotta just finish that and we can get back to (re)building a boat.

Hope you folks had a great Easter!

dozerII

Admiral

Good to see you back and survived the nasty winter you had down there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Now that syrup season is over, does that mean pancakes or waffles? :smile: Grab a stack and head out to the SS. :D

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pancakes or waffles

Both. And some french toast. It's good stuff!

So, we finally found some soft water today - little private lake that I used to live on. Through the 40 degree temps, rain, and wind, we got dinner for today!

And I was doing some organizing in the basement today and figured I'd take a pic of this, I was pretty excited when I picked it up. It's an old Electric Motor quick-mount thingy, only one I've ever seen. Bosses were doing some cleanout and it was gonna hit the scrap bin so I picked it up. Pretty sure with just a touch of modification it can serve as a sort of bert's track. We'll see if I can redneck it up enough =D Got 2 sections about 4 foot long and one section that's maybe 18" or so.

Length shot - those plates on the end are removable and may serve as the base for rod holders.

Profile shot. My hand looks really pale. I'm not albino.

One of the mounts - Pretty sure I can knock something together to fit that.

In other news, at risk of saying too much, I purchased this boat as kind of an emotional purchase. A year ago in november my wife and I had our first miscarriage, then our second in march (while I was away on business, no less ;/). The same February my wife's sister was diagnosed with Melanoma, and she passed away on may 24th at 32 years young - a day after the due date of our first baby. Needless to say, last year sucked so I needed a project to get my mind off of things. Why am I bothering with all this? I might not get a whole lot of boat work done this year because we go on wednesday for our 20 week appointment for our current pregnancy :D Gotta get the house ready!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about the misfortune, Yeonik. But good luck on the good fortune. Will keep your family and family future expansion in mind.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good thoughts for your pending appt, and your family as the anniversary approaches in 3wks.

Good luck w/ the house prep........ And don't forget to stock pile a few extra winks every night, you're going to need them :)

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Now that is a fine mess of gills ya got. Certainly some great eating. Good luck with your appointment and hoping all goes well for you and your family. Projects are always good for the soul and help keep our sanity when life throws out some real trying times.

dozerII

Admiral

Hoping everything goes well for you now, glad to see you got out fishing, and can get started on the SS