16' Supersport "rolling rebuild"

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 16' Supersport "rolling rebuild"

Glen, I'm using Cabot spar varnish. Not sure on gloss/semi-gloss/satin. I think I grabbed satin.

Use what you've got, but for reference, I'd recommend using gloss varnishes & urethanes primarily on almost all wood. If a satin look is what you want, after a couple coats of gloss, apply a couple coats of either a semi-gloss or satin(flat).

If you ever look in a can of semi or satin, there's almost always some 'stuff' at the bottom that needs to be thoroughly mixed before you start using it. That stuff is the flattening agents, a little for semi-gloss, more for satin. But NONE in gloss. Whatever the chemistry needed to make it semi or satin, those 2 finishes then contain less (by volume) of the stuff that actually protects the wood from the elements, and allows it to move/flex with changes in temp & humidity. So gloss will almost always last/wear longer & it will be less likely to allow the finish to crack & check exposing the wood over the same time period.

On 'good' wood that you want to see the character/grain of the wood thru your finish, gloss first then semi/satin allows the wood's character to show more and be less muddy/cloudy then if you laid down 4 coats of satin.

If you plan to use the products thinned at all, I even more strongly recommend gloss 1st.

This ^^^ applies for all wood work finished w/ varnishes & urethanes. Furniture/hardwood flooring, boat building etc...

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jb, thanks, that's really good info! This didn't seem to have any stuff in the bottom and mixed up real well. It's pouring out or I'd go check what finish it was ;p That said, we got some rain yesterday and one floorboard got some water on her, it all beaded up real well and wiped right off. Very happy =D

Dunno if I'll get much done, depends on what the weather decides to do. Might run out to the shop and get the lower on my merc torn apart. I'm pretty apprehensive of what I'm going to find =\

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The sound it makes probably isn't appropriate for this forum...

SO still waiting on varnish to dry. That said, I have to elaborate on some things. For those of you that remember page 1, I wasn't going to do alot of the standard rebuild stuff until later. My plan was to try to get her on the water near the end of september. I wanted to get a couple of trips in before the snow flew, not only so that I had some more motivation but also so the admiral could enjoy it, and authorize some more expenses. :D

That said, by going that route I was going to forgo some things - good seats, nautolex, other money stuff. Dumping all this money into a boat is fine if it's spread out, but I can't afford to do it all at once! =D I've been hauling trying to get things done, and I also was going to skip out on some other stuff - ski locker for storage comes to mind.

I started thinking about it yesterday and kinda got confirmed today. I think I'm pushing back my splash date for the spring. This way, I'll have time to add the things I want, and I can spread out the expenses rather than buy cheap junk now that I'll have to replace later anyways.

I was pulling out some wiring yesterday. The P.O. had a couple of bus bars screwed into the transom :)facepalm:) and as I was unscrewing em I noticed it was flaking a little bit. Well, today I was walking around the boat pondering my next move(s) and I started poking at it. The meat in the middle is definitely solid, but there's numerous mulchy areas around the edges. Rather than try to run a motor on an iffy transom, I think I need to figure out a motor stand and replace this transom before any damage is done.

So, now I need a new thread title.

No need for a title change, Yeo. Just rolling to a different drummer. :) Plans change.

Yeah, a tinny can have a lot of flaws, but a rotted transom isn't one of them. It's good you found it now.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ugg just spent 3 hours at the shop and have nothing to show for it. Nothing on the lower unit is budging, heat, pullers, penetrating oil, everything short of a BFH. I'm kinda afraid I may have to look into a repower/new lower. Ah well, hopefully the 'ol merc forum can help!

dozerII

Admiral

Good thing these rebuilds aren't easy or every one would be doing them.:facepalm: I'm feeling for ya there's always something to kick you in @##$.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everything was going smoothly, I figured something would jump up at me =D

barato2

Commander

wow, no kidding. Murph has sure come to visit since Friday. sorry to hear. but just think of all the fun you'll have this winter :rolleyes:

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ahhh, eventually I'll win. No biggie, I'll either fix the lower, buy a new (to me) lower, or re-power into a sweet 85 johnnyrude with power tilt/trim.

Which one do you think I'm rooting for? ;p

barato2

Commander

a lottery win and a 90 ETEC or Honda? :watermelon:

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, I haven't been around much lately. Not much work has been done on the boat.

Couple weeks ago I noticed a little bubble in the drywall in my upstairs bathroom. So I investigated, ended up pulling all the drywall off and my roof sheathing looks like some of the transoms that I see posted up here. I can just about put my finger through it. Woops!! So we've been dealing with that, haven't had any time to work on the boat or even post here on Iboats ;p

On the plus side, I got some free* flotation for the boat! Had some of that foam board in the ceiling of the bathroom so I saved a bunch of it during the demolition.

*not really free

Have a good weekend fellas!

64osby

Admiral

A dry house is a little more important than a dry boat. Good luck with the repair.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

So, I haven't been around much lately. Not much work has been done on the boat.

Couple weeks ago I noticed a little bubble in the drywall in my upstairs bathroom. So I investigated, ended up pulling all the drywall off and my roof sheathing looks like some of the transoms that I see posted up here. I can just about put my finger through it. Woops!! So we've been dealing with that, haven't had any time to work on the boat or even post here on Iboats ;p

On the plus side, I got some free* flotation for the boat! Had some of that foam board in the ceiling of the bathroom so I saved a bunch of it during the demolition.

*not really free

Have a good weekend fellas!

Good luck with the roof repairs Yeonik! *Nice "score" on the floatation...and finding the silver lining ;)

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know you're a tinnie when you look at the plywood on the roof and think to yourself...

"Gee, some epoxy here, a lil PL over there..."

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Hey I used some epoxy last week to repair some wood on my front door step, worked freaking fantastic! :D

barato2

Commander

bottom feedin like a champ even whe life throws you a lemon. you go!

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah kind of hard to tell the wife sorry I cant fix the house Im working on the boat.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, not really a boat update but a roof update =D

We had ~4 days of nice weather forecasted about 2 weeks ago so I took some time off work (they've been working me every weekend for a month and a half, heh) and me and a buddy spent 2 days replacing the roof... new ceiling joists, center beam, sheathing, etc. So at least that's all done, and for a helluvalot cheaper than it would have been to hire a contractor. It isn't as pretty as a contractor would have done, but eh... it's done.

Anyways, not really any updates on the boat front. It's been off and on raining and sunny/beautiful around here so the nice days I've been getting ready for snow and the crap days I've been in the bathroom re-building.

That said, I asked in my ski champ thread if anybody has ever blasted their boat with corn cob. The other day I was working on an aluminum-framed motor and It needed corn cob blasting, so I conducted a seriously serious scientific experiment. I blasted it as hard as I could with corn cob and it didn't even come close to pitting the aluminum. Now I feel confident that if needed, corn cob would do the trick. I think the supersport *might* get blasted. I haven't decided for sure.

THAT said, snow is just around the corner, so I'm gonna be covering the old girl up for the winter. I'll probably be updating with basement projects (cleaning trim etc.) but nothing serious until the holidays when I *may* have the chance to drag it into the shop and get some stuff done.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Congrats on getting the roof done! Yeah, it seems to be getting cold early this year... but deer season is less then a month away! Looks like you are only a couple of miles from my family's camp.. beautiful area up that way.

heycookieman

Seaman Apprentice

I'm looking at a 76 ss for $250.00 with trailer but no motor in good shape my ? is, Do i need a short or long shaft motor for it. Thanks